The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

If I can do 3x5 I up the weight.

Then i usually do 5x3, then 5x4 or 4x4, then attempt 3x5 again. Rinse repeat. I like how triples allow you to handle more weight,yet you get the overall tonnage in by doing more sets. It's the overall work that counts.

There's no way I could go from 3x5 straight to something like 5 4 4 -- it just wont happen because 2.5kg is a lot on bench nowadays. Maybe not so much when I was a newb.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
If I can do 3x5 I up the weight.

Then i usually do 5x3, then 5x4 or 4x4, then attempt 3x5 again. Rinse repeat. I like how triples allow you to handle more weight,yet you get the overall tonnage in by doing more sets. It's the overall work that counts.

There's no way I could go from 3x5 straight to something like 5 4 4 -- it just wont happen because 2.5kg is a lot on bench nowadays. Maybe not so much when I was a newb.

Is that enough for muscle hypertrophy? Ie do you see muscle gains in yourself progressing like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always thought 3x5 meant three sets of five, not five sets of triples.. HMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Is that enough for muscle hypertrophy? Ie do you see muscle gains in yourself progressing like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, along with accessory exercises (flyes, dips etc for chest) which will be higher reps (6-12 depending). That's more than enough. For me personally, sets of 5 hit the sweetspot on rows, bench and squat. You need to gain weight (eat) to hypertrophy.
Original post by Squirb
I always thought 3x5 meant three sets of five, not five sets of triples.. HMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is what it means, but the amount of work between the two is actually the same. You're still lifting 100kg 15 reps in 3x5 or 5x3, (obviously 3x5 is harder due to less rest) but the overall work is what will impact your body and muscles. You will see a reaction because your body has still done the same amount of work. You can use 5x3 as a stepping stone.

I've found it beneficial to drop the reps by 1-2 and do more quality sets, over completely maxing out with some crappy reps. Quality of work matters a lot. Too many ****ty grindy reps leads to bad technique imo
(edited 9 years ago)
That is what it means, but the amount of work between the two is actually the same. You're still lifting 100kg 15 reps in 3x5 or 5x3, (obviously 3x5 is harder due to less rest) but the overall work is what will impact your body and muscles. You will see a reaction because your body has still done the same amount of work. You can use 5x3 as a stepping stone.

I've found it beneficial to drop the reps by 1-2 and do more quality sets, over completely maxing out with some crappy reps. Quality of work matters a lot.

Thought so. True true, 5 sets of triples might actually provide greater loading on CNS too due to the number of "first reps" (Blaha, 2014 lol), but that's more strength-related than hypertrophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
Thought so. True true, 5 sets of triples might actually provide greater loading on CNS too due to the number of "first reps" (Blaha, 2014 lol), but that's more strength-related than hypertrophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get stronger ---> do more reps next session in fewer sets ---> more hypertrophy

the cycle continues. You NEED to be stronger to lift heavier weights for more reps. That's what's gonna make you grow.

It's only one strategy
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 267
It's weird (and very rewarding) being able to throw about weights that you previously found extremely challenging...

Tried 25kg dumbbells on flat bench 2 months ago and couldn't even get a rep..

Did 13 reps with them last week lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

I remember not being able to even pick up 26's of the rack :lol:
Reply 268
You get stronger ---> do more reps next session in fewer sets ---> more hypertrophy

the cycle continues. You NEED to be stronger to lift heavier weights for more reps. That's what's gonna make you grow.

It's only one strategy

hmm so you suggest doing 1 or 2 less reps to then improve the quality of lifts overall? I do this sometimes but most times i just try to squeeze 8 reps on each set and increase the volume by doing more sets (4 or 5) or more reps with lighter weight, so sometimes ill get say 8/6/5 but i find the next few times im able to even it out kinda thing and get like a 7/6/6.

I find though it's more about volume rather than the weight itself when i do just 3 sets of 5 reps my muscles don't feel pushed enough but wen i go up to 8 reps for 4 or 5 sets you can really feel the blood being forced into the muscles.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by a10
hmm so you suggest doing 1 or 2 less reps to then improve the quality of lifts overall? I do this sometimes but most times i just try to squeeze 8 reps on each set and increase the volume by doing more sets (4 or 5) or more reps with lighter weight, so sometimes ill get say 8/6/5 but i find the next few times im able to even it out kinda thing and get like a 7/6/6.

I find though it's more about volume rather than the weight itself when i do just 3 sets of 5 reps my muscles don't feel pushed enough but wen i go up to 8 reps for 4 or 5 sets you can really feel the blood being forced into the muscles.

If the weight isn't going up then the volume isn't doing much for you. You can do whatever reps you like as long as you're going up in the weights.

I never get a pump from sets of 5 but I've clearly added on a good amount of muscle. My muscles feel very much worked and fatigued, even if they're not 'pumped.' Pump and pain alone don't indicate anything. Accessory work will give you that pump anyway, so you get the best of both.

No, you're always going to push and struggle on the final rep or two. But if you're grinding every set then the weight is too heavy for you and it just means you're approaching a stall pretty soon.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know going up in weight is pivotal for muscle growth but in that case why do people who finish SS most often look like sh1t?

Lack of accessory work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know going up in weight is pivotal for muscle growth but in that case why do people who finish SS most often look like sh1t?

Lack of accessory work?

Yes. Their upper body work consists of 3x5 bench, press and cleans 3x each per 3 weeks. Not really enough to get jacked upper body.

Conversely SS gets you a great pair of legs though :tongue:

Lack of accessory work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the lack of volume becomes a problem and if you follow the programme religiously then you have only one option... Eat more
I followed it religiously for a month or so before adding dips and some other accessories.
I did the pendlay row, chin up variant of it.. No powercleans

Tbh whatever programme people do they often end up fat looking like **** due to dream bulking.. Then there's the other extreme where people haven't eaten enough and have made not a lot of progress if any

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Tbh whatever programme people do they often end up fat looking like **** due to dream bulking.. Then there's the other extreme where people haven't eaten enough and have made not a lot of progress if any

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know them feels :frown:

Lanzarote...

Back a week today for 3 weeks then off on a lads holiday hahaha

Gains = lost lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lanzarote...

Back a week today for 3 weeks then off on a lads holiday hahaha

Gains = lost lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha go and make all kinds of other gains

Enjoy bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
Haha go and make all kinds of other gains

Enjoy bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try :wink:

Cheers man :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
21/7/14

BACK IN THE GYMMMMM

Unstructured session, will start properly again on Wednesday

DB split squats - 17.5kg (6x5)
DB flat bench - 25kg (1x5) 27.5kg (1x5) 20kg paused (1x5)
T bar rows - 70kg (5x5)
Shrugs - 85kg (3x8) PB
Close grip floor press paused - 40kg (3x8) damn this feels good in the triceps
Curls
More curls
Couple more curls again
Side raises
Leg press - 140kg (3x10)
Lat pulldown - 30kg (1x30)

Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply