The Student Room Group

Two dads meet their newborn son

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thenumber2goose
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...peds.2013-0377

"Many studies have demonstrated that children's well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents' sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents."

So you'll admit you're talking bull now?

Your link didn't work.

It's not "bull" ... it's what I believe to be true - and I'm surely not the only person to believe this either.

Well-being: the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy.

I don't think you quite understood my paragraph ...

By me saying it'll "change" the way they are is NOTHING bad.

Adopting a child from Africa and bringing them to Western Civilization will change then, but in a good way - this is roughly what I'm getting at.

Taking a child of 10, who hasn't fully mentally "figured him/herself out", and moving him into a gay household WILL change him for the worse, or for the best.
Original post by Le Franglais
Gay marriage goes hand in hand with gay adoption, but not necessarily in all cases.

An astonishing 10 times more likely to have been “touched sexually by a parent or other adult caregiver.”

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/2013/04/a-non-religious-case-against-same-sex-marriage.html

I've taken this example as a non-religious case against gay marriage.

I don't need, or want anyone to start bringing up the oh-so-common excuse that "not all heterosexual couples look after their children the right way" ... This arguably a tiny proportion on global scale - the fact that being a child in a gay or lesbian couple increases your chance of sexual abuse by tenfold is quite alarming to say the least.

How awkward that you a) thought anyone would consider that a credible source and b) didn't think anyone would actually look where you got the statistic from - it is a claim about children of lesbian mothers, not all homosexual parents. Don't tell me you missed that.
I'll also just leave this here.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=156530

"The author reports on 37 children who are being raised by female homosexuals or by parents who have changed sex (transsexuals): 21 by female homosexuals, 7 by male-to-female transsexuals, and 9 by female- to-male transsexuals. The children range in age from 3 to 20 years (mean = 9.3) and have lived in the sexually atypical households for 1- 16 years (mean = 4.9). Thirty-six of the children report or recall childhood toy, game, clothing, and peer group preferences that are typical for their sex. The 13 older children who report erotic fantasies or overt sexual behaviors are all heterosexually oriented."

It's much easier (and more logical) to form an opinion based on fact that blind conjecture darling.

You haven't understood my point 'darling'
Who said they were disadvantaged? Nobody. My main argument is no newborn should be denied by their maternal love of their biological mother unless extenuating circumstances

So your high moral stance on saying that one should not support the meat industry is to eat chicken. Nice try. Calling bull**** (once more).

Calling bull**** on what exactly? I'm against the actions of the meat industry yes. However I'm not stupid and know even if I didn't eat it the industry would still exist. Therefore I will eat it because until attitudes as a whole change the industry continues. Yes I'm a pollotarian and have been for quite a while now.

So, you're continuing to accept a premise that those who grow up without their biological mothers are inherently ****ed.

No you assumed that by going on an idiotic and overly emotional tirade against a point you quite evidently didn't grasp.

Here's some food for thought:
I went to school with someone who lost their mother very early on. They had their brothers and father take care of them and bring them up. At no point did this child stand out. Good grades, mature when they needed to be. Whilst I didn't get on with them they were pretty popular.

At no point did they seem to be at a disadvantage as a result.

So because they have the same opportunities later on and aren't disadvantaged its fine to deny them their maternal bond? Wow just wow.

But don't worry, I'll send them a facebook message correcting them, and tell them that they are inherent disadvantaged and that they are not the same as me.

Nobody said such. You assumed such. I'm saying it is wrong to deny a child its natural maternal bond with its biological mother by allowing adoption by anyone so early. I stand by that statement. Does that mean its life is going to be ****ed? No as variable factors will decide that. Still doesn't mean its fine to deny a child that maternal bond with its biological mother early on. Those precious moments and that precious bond is exactly that, precious.

Original post by redferry
So my brother being taken from his biological parents with learning difficulties who couldn't even look after themselves, lived in squalour and had already had three kids removed and been prosecuted for animal neglect was disgusting was it? Riiiiight.

By the way, he isn't damaged, before you ask.

When was he taken? Straight from birth? Also, the circumstances you've put forward are extreme. Nowhere did I suggest it would lead to someone being damaged either. Yet more sensationalism. You do this constantly with every argument you try and put forward. Please don't quote me anymore. You made it evidently clear previously you didn't wish to engage in discussion with me yet you have done here. Why have you gone back on that?

Original post by Freudian Slip
I never said 'nature intended it', I just don't see why people are so keen to slam same-sex couples for wanting to become parents. I have a heterosexual friend with a young daughter and she's a terrible mother. She takes barely any responsibility for her child and openly admits she was an 'accident' (although she'll prefix that with 'happy' as an afterthought, if you push her on the issue). She's been the same way since her daughter was a babe in arms, so I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I'm afraid.

Slammed them? I've done nothing of the sort. I am pro nature and nurture. You on the other hand think only nurture is important. I am not ignorant and value both. Even if a mother doesn't want the child she should not deny the child early on. Of course extenuating circumstances can change that.

Data from early tests of 'maternal deprivation' are, at best, correlational and widely criticised. There are no reasons two men or women could not fulfil the role of providing support and stimulation for a child that a mother or heterosexual couple could.

Many studies have shown how important it is. For the matter as well I don't think single heterosexual men should be allowed to adopt so soon either because again it deprives the child of a natural maternal bond.

Original post by joey11223
So you think the meat industry is wrong, but support probably the most intensive and cruel area of it (poultry production), you think supermarket chains are wrong, but will shop at them anyway. You think puppies being taken early are wrong...but guess you'd take one for the right price? So really...you stand for nothing? Words..but no action.

Are you a vegan? If we all had that attitude nobody would do anything. I don't support it at all. If I did I would be out with a sign supporting it. The industry would still exist even if I stopped eating chicken.

Maybe you will let a child stay with an manically depressive drug addict who will probably starve the baby, so y'know it can bond with its biological mother, because clearly there's no way a child can survive without being able to do that.

No I wouldn't. You have used an extreme example to try and argue your point. Its like me trying to use an example of a mother of 10 from a daily mail article to try and bash benefits claimants. It's a wishy washy argument.

I imagine you'll stand by your convictions when it suits, which I imagine is when it involves homosexuals wanting a child.

No. That's an assumption you have made. I don't agree with a child being denied the love of their biological mother early on even if the child is going to a single person or heterosexual couple. My argument has more to do with the child and nature/nurture as opposed to who the adoptees are.

EDIT: Oh hey quoted you twice, didn't realise lol. Don't take it personally bro, I'd hug you if you were within reach (no homo of course).

Well I'm not. I have no issue whatsoever with homosexual people or them adopting. I have no issue with any decent people adopting. What I do have issue with is the people who think that it is fine to deny a child that early maternal bond with its biological mother. This is a living thing and not a gift that can just exchange hands just like that.

I despair with people in Britain at times - so focused on money, materialism, celebrity culture, being right and trying to enforce equality through hypocritically illiberal measures that some forget how to even be human anymore.

Even this woman who has worked in the industry and knows vehemently more than you on the subject agrees.

http://m.golocalprov.com/news/julia-steiny-why-bad-moms-still-should-parent-their-kids
Original post by Ronove
How awkward that you a) thought anyone would consider that a credible source and b) didn't think anyone would actually look where you got the statistic from - it is a claim about children of lesbian mothers, not all homosexual parents. Don't tell me you missed that.

So what? My point still stands.

Even if there were a fully credible source out there with actual scientific studies, NO ONE here would pay attention to it - fact.
Reply 125
Original post by Sanctimonious
Illogical statement. Did you not sit GCSE biology in school? You're essentially denying biological norms to try and carry your argument. Same sex couples can't have children. Women have children. These sane sex couples adopt like many different sex couples do.

Stop being so patronising. Times have changed, gay couples can have a child. It's time you accept that fact.
You haven't understood my point 'darling'

Your point, as I understand it, was that children brought up with homosexual parents will be different in some way.

Your point was based on nothing more than opinion and an incredibly biased right-wing website.

I have provided unbiased evidence that completely disproves your point.

So...yeah.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NicCx
Stop being so patronising. Times have changed, gay couples can have a child. It's time you accept that fact.

No they can't. They can adopt but can't have. Neither can a single heterosexual man have a child.

They can adopt a child someone else has had but they cannot have one themselves. I didn't decide that. Nature did. Don't get mad at me for understanding this.

I have no issues with anyone adopting as long as they're decent people and as long as the child has been allowed to bond with its biological mother first.
Your point, as I understand it, was that children brought up with homosexual parents will be different in some way.

Your point was based on nothing more than opinion and an incredibly biased right-wing website.

I have provided unbiased evidence that completely disproves your point.

So...yeah.

My point on children brought up in a gay marriage will be different in some way WAS SOLELY ME - not a website.

So you're telling me a child born with a single father, or a single mother will be the same as someone brought up in a "loving" gay family or a hetero one?!
Reply 130
No they can't. They can adopt but can't have. Neither can a single heterosexual man have a child.

They can adopt a child someone else has had but they cannot have one themselves. I didn't decide that. Nature did. Don't get mad at me for understanding this.

I have no issues with anyone adopting as long as they're decent people and as long as the child has been allowed to bond with its biological mother first.

You clearly do have a problem with it by trying to be a smart Alec and picking out little words and making an issue from it.
Original post by swan stardust
Every couple-no matter their sexual orientation-who wishes to adopt,should be monitored.
I don't see why the sexual orientation of parents would stop social workers from making sure they are able to raise a child.
When raising a child,sexual orientation is irrelevant,all that matters is to give lots of love to the new family member :h:

I stand my previous point given out to another TSR poster ... Being born in a gay household has some relevance to how that child will grow up to be when they're older - be it good or bad. But, of course financial stability and love are major concerns too.
So what? My point still stands.

Even if there were a fully credible source out there with actual scientific studies, NO ONE here would pay attention to it - fact.

Your point was that children of gay and lesbian couples are ten times more likely to be sexually abused. A claim that is false. Even the source you thought you lifted it from proves it false. If they could make the same claim about male homosexual couples, they would have done. That much is abundantly clear.

And you should know that you cannot imagine up ridiculous claims and expect people to take them seriously 'because even if there were any evidence, people would ignore it'.
My point on children brought up in a gay marriage will be different in some way WAS SOLELY ME - not a website.

So you're telling me a child born with a single father, or a single mother will be the same as someone brought up in a "loving" gay family or a hetero one?!

I'm not telling you anything; I prefer to look at the evidence. It is true that children brought up by one parent tend to have more "issues". However, this does not hold true for homosexual parents.

Thus, we can conclude that it is the lack of stability in a single parent family that causes said issues, not the gender of the parent(s).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xcalibur
God designed it so that only a woman can give birth with a man. So why should homosexuals be able to have children?

God also left his only son to die, despite having the power to stop it so I wouldn't quote him regarding parenting....

(He's also not real! Mwahahahahahahaaaaa!)
Ikr, the kid will be one of the few to have two parents there among the droves of single parents. So weird.

Speak for yourself.
Slammed them? I've done nothing of the sort. I am pro nature and nurture. You on the other hand think only nurture is important. I am not ignorant and value both. Even if a mother doesn't want the child she should not deny the child early on. Of course extenuating circumstances can change that.

Many studies have shown how important it is. For the matter as well I don't think single heterosexual men should be allowed to adopt so soon either because again it deprives the child of a natural maternal bond.

I never said you did, I was referring to the people who have openly done so throughout the course of this thread. You presume far too much... I've never stated that I don't value 'nature', merely that it's not the be-all and end-all when it comes to child rearing.

The 'maternal deprivation' and surrounding theories was based on a series of largely discredited assumptions - disregarding 'natural mothers', 'fathers' and a range of other contributing factors - the effects of which aren't as inevitable as you appear to think they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Illogical statement. Did you not sit GCSE biology in school? You're essentially denying biological norms to try and carry your argument. Same sex couples can't have children. Women have children. These sane sex couples adopt like many different sex couples do.

If nature intended for 2 same sex people to have children, why can't they? Unless you have made a breakthrough in the field of biology then there is no chance of what you said happening.

I don't see the issues with same sex couples adopting but at the same time I think like with any adoption the child should be with its mother in the early stages and adopted after a certain period of time. The maternal bond especially in the early stages is important. To deny a child this is quite frankly disgusting and disturbing because nature and nurture are both as important and to dismiss one in favour of the other is beyond absurd.

Can't believe you wish to deny a child the right to its natural and biological mother who due to being his natural mother can nurture the child maternally in a way no man can (its proven the maternal bond early on can be key to development later) and you wish to deny a child this for what you believe are societal advancements in the modern world....

I find that quite disturbing.

just a side note, not sure what religion you are but doesnt you god also deny some children their mothers, i.e wars and conception problems? + pretty sure some orphans have grew up and turned out alright?
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
God also left his only son to die, despite having the power to stop it so I wouldn't quote him regarding parenting....

(He's also not real! Mwahahahahahahaaaaa!)

AHAHAHAHAHA, literally spilt coffe on my laptop reading this :biggrin:
Original post by Limpopo
It is abnormal and unnatural for two men to procure a child in this manner.

It's also 'unnatural' to give a child Christmas presents, or for a child to wear socks, or for a child to have a bath. I don't see anyone complaining about that. So shhhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending