The Student Room Group

As a British Citizen, do I get my passport scanned when I enter an EU country?

Okay so I understand that we are part of the EU and all that comes with it such as free movement, market etc. If I was to visit France, would I get my passport stamped. Also. do they keep details of your travel history too, as I have heard that other countries within the EU can simply cross the border without anybody batting an eyelid, whereas British get their passport scanned. Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, I have never flown before.
Scan but not stamp. Some don't bother scanning.
In France you just need to show that your passport is British, sometimes they scan it and other times they'll just send you through, they're tougher on the outbound though.
In addition to the above, if you cross Schengen borders (basically all of EU except UK and ROI) you won't get a passport check at all.
Reply 4
Not stamped and when I arrived in Spain there were no border control, we just walked straight through the airport to the exit
I am in Frankfurt for 9 and a half hours on Monday in between flights. Am I right in thinking that I can just walk out of the airport and go to the city centre - even though Britain is not part of the Schengen Area?
Original post by Super Cicero
I am in Frankfurt for 9 and a half hours on Monday in between flights. Am I right in thinking that I can just walk out of the airport and go to the city centre - even though Britain is not part of the Schengen Area?

Yes you're an EU citizen, you can do as you please... Within reason.
Original post by tehFrance
Yes you're an EU citizen, you can do as you please... Within reason.

On indirect flights, my luggage will automatically get transported from one plane to another and I won't have to do anything, right?
Original post by Super Cicero
On indirect flights, my luggage will automatically get transported from one plane to another and I won't have to do anything, right?

That's been my experience with Airberlin, Emirates and Etihad when I'm continuing a journey with them and there's a stopover although that was flying business. It would be best to clarify at check-in whether or not you need collect bags and re-check-in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest