The Student Room Group

Services which offer careers advice to graduates?

As title. I did my degree at a local college rather than the university itself and their careers advisor wasn't much good to me, she just fobbed me off with Connexions. I graduated with a 2.1 however I regret doing my degree; I seriously considered dropping out at one point but was talked into staying. I'm thinking of maybe trying to get into writing but I'm not quite sure how to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gemmam
As title. I did my degree at a local college rather than the university itself and their careers advisor wasn't much good to me, she just fobbed me off with Connexions. I graduated with a 2.1 however I regret doing my degree; I seriously considered dropping out at one point but was talked into staying. I'm thinking of maybe trying to get into writing but I'm not quite sure how to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was your degree award by the college or by an university? If an university awarded your degree you should be able to access their career service. Otherwise there are limited options i.e the National Career Service. A good place to start your own research into writing as a career, would be Prospects Careers Website. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Caroljo
Was your degree award by the college or by an university? If an university awarded your degree you should be able to access their career service. Otherwise there are limited options i.e the National Career Service. A good place to start your own research into writing as a career, would be Prospects Careers Website. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. It was awarded by a university. National Careers Service is just another name for Connexions, I did go there but I didn't find them very useful. I looked at Prospects, it gives a job description etc but no information on how to actually get into it. Tbh I feel doing the degree has messed my chances of getting a job up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If your degree was awarded by an university I would make an appointment to see them because you should be able to use all their support services.

Sorry to you hear you do not feel positive about your degree choice....What degree did you do?
Reply 4
Original post by Caroljo
If your degree was awarded by an university I would make an appointment to see them because you should be able to use all their support services.

Sorry to you hear you do not feel positive about your degree choice....What degree did you do?

I've just booked an appointment for tomorrow, hopefully they'll be more useful as they'd be more used to dealing with graduates than the college. I did Cultural Studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Glad you booked to see someone - hope it goes well.

If you done a degree in Cultural Studies you should have lots write about, which is important if you want to be a writer:-)

If I were you I would list all the modules I done and brainstorm ideas on each and start looking for interesting things to say and begin writing! You have to enjoy what you are writing about then it will come out in your work.

A friend of mine is a writer, she works part time to make 'ends meet' and in her spare time she write on her blog and she beginning to get interests. I would also start looking to enter writing competitions or volunteering. Maybe looking for admin jobs in publishing companies, so you can develop contacts and network. I am sure you know its not the easiest profession to get into but that does not mean you can't succeed.

Good luck and be positive!!
Reply 6
Original post by Caroljo
Glad you booked to see someone - hope it goes well.

If you done a degree in Cultural Studies you should have lots write about, which is important if you want to be a writer:-)

If I were you I would list all the modules I done and brainstorm ideas on each and start looking for interesting things to say and begin writing! You have to enjoy what you are writing about then it will come out in your work.

A friend of mine is a writer, she works part time to make 'ends meet' and in her spare time she write on her blog and she beginning to get interests. I would also start looking to enter writing competitions or volunteering. Maybe looking for admin jobs in publishing companies, so you can develop contacts and network. I am sure you know its not the easiest profession to get into but that does not mean you can't succeed.

Good luck and be positive!!

What sort of things does she write about? A local charity is actually looking for a volunteer bid writer so might see about that. I've heard technical writing is good to get into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Funny enough my friend is living in Hong Kong at the moment so she is making comparisons between the Asian and UK culture. (I know lucky thing!!)

I am not sure what writing is good to get into, but I would imagine that you would have to have some level of knowledge about the subject before you can write about it.

I would definitely look into the charity post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending