The Student Room Group

The world is too clean.

Discuss.

I just wondered if anyone else is feeling the same way about how clean the world is? I don't talk to many other people about it because they themselves are somewhat obsessed with cleanliness.

Some examples: people taking showers every day, washing clothes after wearing them twice, not eating food if it has fallen on the floor. And I think we're way too heavy handed with cleaning houses, especially as we do it with harsh cleaning products.

I think people are getting mixed up between cleanliness and hygeine, does anyone else agree?
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
Discuss.

I just wondered if anyone else is feeling the same way about how clean the world is? I don't talk to many other people about it because they themselves are somewhat obsessed with cleanliness.

Some examples: people taking showers every day, washing clothes after wearing them twice, not eating food if it has fallen on the floor. And I think we're way too heavy handed with cleaning houses, especially as we do it with harsh cleaning products.

I think people are getting mixed up between cleanliness and hygeine, does anyone else agree?

'The world'? <- talk about mass generalisation! :tongue:

I think that cleanliness and hygiene is very important! They are pretty similar things. Unless we want to die from disease etc. I think that staying clean is good :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Discuss.

*The western world is too clean

Have you ever been to a third world country before?
Reply 3
No, I think it's great that the world is 'too' clean. I am glad people shower daily, helps a lot with interaction. It's good that we don't eat food after it falls on the floor, decreases the spread in disease and what not, etc... I think people are just more educated now than we were before and so hygine and cleanliness has become an important part of our lives.

Also, cleaning the house very often is better than leaving dirt build up and then spending hours cleaning it all up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
'The world'? <- talk about mass generalisation! :tongue:

I think that cleanliness and hygiene is very important! They are pretty similar things. Unless we want to die from disease etc. I think that staying clean is good :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. What I mean is my world i.e. living in a well-off country!

Yes, cleanliness and hygiene are similar, but I don't think they're the same... hygeine is doing the things necessary to keep yourself healthy e.g. washing food. Cleanliness is keeping yourself as clean as possible, which I think is unnecessary. Not to say a waste of resources, like water and clothing.
Reply 5
If we're blessed to have the privilege of having a shower every day, or washing clothes every other day why wouldn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HassanD
No, I think it's great that the world is 'too' clean. I am glad people shower daily, helps a lot with interaction. It's good that we don't eat food after it falls on the floor, decreases the spread in disease and what not, etc... I think people are just more educated now than we were before and so hygine and cleanliness has become an important part of our lives.

Also, cleaning the house very often is better than leaving dirt build up and then spending hours cleaning it all up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if you don't shower daily, what happens? Nothing! As long as you shower regularly enough not to stink... showering every day is a waste of water. I eat food after it falls on the floor (as long as it isn't ice cream or something sticky :tongue:) Yes, I'm sure it's good that we are educated and know that cleanliness is important, I just think we've become a bit obsessed with being clean.

Dirt and dust build up in literally a day. If we were to clean our houses as soon as they got a bit dirty, we'd be cleaning all the time! A bit of dirt or dust is unlikely to kill you.
10 minute rule though :teehee:

To be honest what you've said pretty much sums up my mother :rofl:
Good point. What I mean is my world i.e. living in a well-off country!

Yes, cleanliness and hygiene are similar, but I don't think they're the same... hygeine is doing the things necessary to keep yourself healthy e.g. washing food. Cleanliness is keeping yourself as clean as possible, which I think is unnecessary. Not to say a waste of resources, like water and clothing.

Ah okay.

Like the poster said below, if you have the resources you should use them! Well that's what I think but I can see what you mean with the cleanliness. Hmm...
Original post by shammmm
If we're blessed to have the privilege of having a shower every day, or washing clothes every other day why wouldn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, this is what I think too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shammmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel it's a waste. Of time, effort and resources. It also means that people are becoming less and less able to tolerate a bit of dirt.

This is going to sound really stupid, and of course it's just my opinion, but I live and grew up in a house where things don't get cleaned that often (our house isn't filthy, but it is definitely "lived in") I genuinely believe that one of the reasons I am (pretty much) never ill is that exposure to a bit of dust has toughened me up. We are too reliant on our showers and washing machines etc, it's making us lazy. Imagine if we had to wash everything by hand, how often would we wash things then? We only do these things because we can, and it's convenient, NOT because it's necessary.
Seems as if your perception of the world is restricted to those who only reside in your immediate area.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Seems as if your perception of the world is restricted to those who only reside in your immediate area.

Which the OP has openly admitted to.

Move on.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Which the OP has openly admitted to.

Move on.

I didn't read the other comments made on the thread.

Well, shoot me. So does everybody else's.
Well, shoot me. So does everybody else's.

Not entirely. I'd strongly recommend watching international news coverage, if you want to broaden your idea of the world we live in.
Not entirely. I'd strongly recommend watching international news coverage, if you want to broaden your idea of the world we live in.

Excuse me? You don't know me. I spend a lot of time reading and educating myself, so you can pipe down there. I will not watch international news coverage, I prefer to read the news, because I don't want my news force-fed to me. I like to choose what I want to read about, and you can't do that if you're plugged into the television watching whatever biased **** it is they want to feed to you.

I apologise, you just got me onto one of my biggest pet hates of all time: television "news". Back to the topic of cleanliness...! :colondollar:
Original post by Kasa
*The western world is too clean

Have you ever been to a third world country before?

Still generalising. In every country there are people who are 'too clean' according to western standards and people who aren't able to be that clean.
I agree with you OP. :smile: It pisses me off seeing all the TV adverts that try and tell you you're a bad person (especially parents) for not sterilising everything you come into contact with. Obviously if you're chopping raw meat or something then you wash up afterwards, but obsessively massacring every bit of bacteria in your home isn't going to do anything except maybe breed stronger bacteria! :tongue: And from how I understand it, kids need a bit of dirt while growing up, or else they'll just be allergic to everything.
Original post by superwolf
I agree with you OP. :smile: It pisses me off seeing all the TV adverts that try and tell you you're a bad person (especially parents) for not sterilising everything you come into contact with. Obviously if you're chopping raw meat or something then you wash up afterwards, but obsessively massacring every bit of bacteria in your home isn't going to do anything except maybe breed stronger bacteria! :tongue: And from how I understand it, kids need a bit of dirt while growing up, or else they'll just be allergic to everything.

Well, superwolf, I think we may be the only two people who actually hold this view!! :redface: Yes, I agree. Even TV adverts that haven't got anything to do with cleaning, but are filmed in spotlessly clean home settings... people see that and think their house has to look like that. Besides, cleaning is something you can do when you're retired and have nothing better to do, not when you have a family and should be busy looking after/spending time with them.
Original post by shammmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it is completely pointless and a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest