The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Master Students 2014-2015 in York

Hello everybody!
I'm going to be a master student at York this september and I thought it would be nice to see if there were some other students like me!
Ive seen that there are lots of threads about freshers but none about master students!
If you like me are going to be new in town, are still young but not-that-young-after-all and yet you want to make the most of this experience... well... let's socialize!!
I'm Rachele, Italian, 25yo and I'll study Political Philosophy in the Department of Politics.

Cheers! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Rachele,

I'm going to be starting a masters at York this year - Health economics. But I will be starting at the end of August as i'm doing a summer session. Great idea to start this thread, I haven't been able to find any others! Are you already based in York, or moving there?

Jess
University of York
York
Hi Guys!

My name is Stephen and I'm beginning my Masters in Social Work in York in October! It's s hard to find forums for MA students to meet and get to know each other :/

I'm already living in York! What about you guys? A little bit about myself:

I'm 25, Irish, love music, reading and meeting new people :smile:

You guys looking forward to starting your course? I've lived in York for 4 years and I love it here!!

Stephen
Reply 3
Original post by IrishYorkie
Hi Guys!

My name is Stephen and I'm beginning my Masters in Social Work in York in October! It's s hard to find forums for MA students to meet and get to know each other :/

You guys looking forward to starting your course? I've lived in York for 4 years and I love it here!!

Stephen

oh lovely, I'm actually living in Swindon at the moment, but before that I was in Lancaster for 3 yrs. Feel like i'm hopping around the country! I am excited to move to York though I don't really know much about it, I've only visited once but it looks nice. Looking forward to cycling around the area and hoping there aren't too many hills haha!
Original post by :)funn
oh lovely, I'm actually living in Swindon at the moment, but before that I was in Lancaster for 3 yrs. Feel like i'm hopping around the country! I am excited to move to York though I don't really know much about it, I've only visited once but it looks nice. Looking forward to cycling around the area and hoping there aren't too many hills haha!

Hey I know how you feel! I moved over here in 2010 from Ireland but definitely one of the best decisions that I've made!! And it's a fantastic city! And when you're a university of York student you get to visit the York Minster for free :biggrin: Yeah there are loads of great cycling paths - Miss my bike for that actually! When are you planning to move up then?
Reply 5
Hey I know how you feel! I moved over here in 2010 from Ireland but definitely one of the best decisions that I've made!! And it's a fantastic city! And when you're a university of York student you get to visit the York Minster for free :biggrin: Yeah there are loads of great cycling paths - Miss my bike for that actually! When are you planning to move up then?

Brilliant, can't wait! Moving up near the end of August, everything is sorted now just waiting...
Reply 6
Hey, you're not the only person in this position! I'm going to York for a masters in September too :smile: You know there are York postgraduate groups on facebook right? :smile:

Jordan.
Reply 7
Original post by :)funn
Hello Rachele,

I'm going to be starting a masters at York this year - Health economics. But I will be starting at the end of August as i'm doing a summer session. Great idea to start this thread, I haven't been able to find any others! Are you already based in York, or moving there?

Jess

Hi Jess!
I've been to York once few weeks ago, but Im still living in Italy at the moment. Can't wait to start this new experience in England! Ive never lived there before and Im quite excited about it! :biggrin:
Have you already choose the college you'll join? As a postgrad I think I will choose Wentworth, but also Derwent seems a nice place...
Reply 8
Hi Guys!

Stephen

Hi Stephen!
Which part of Ireland are you from?? I lived in Cork for a while and I absolutely loved it!! There is something special about Irish people... I will surely join the Irish society at the university! :biggrin:

If you've lived in York for 4 years and you still love the city, it has to be a really lovely place!

But let's talk about the most serious issue of all: Yorkshire accent.
How much time does it take to manage it??? I was there few weeks ago and I was like.... ehm... :eek: !!! I won't make any friends if I can't understand what there are saying to me! :wink:
Original post by Minerva89
Hi Stephen!
Which part of Ireland are you from?? I lived in Cork for a while and I absolutely loved it!! There is something special about Irish people... I will surely join the Irish society at the university! :biggrin:

If you've lived in York for 4 years and you still love the city, it has to be a really lovely place!

But let's talk about the most serious issue of all: Yorkshire accent.
How much time does it take to manage it??? I was there few weeks ago and I was like.... ehm... :eek: !!! I won't make any friends if I can't understand what there are saying to me! :wink:

Haha hey Minerva!

I'm from Dublin, which is the capital, and way better than Cork :wink: Unfortunately there's no Irish society in the uni :'( me and a few friends tried to set one up but we couldn't get enough members! But hey maybe we can set one up when you get here :P
Ad actually there aren't taht many Yorkshire people in the university of York, most of them are from down south but the accent isn't bad at all. You'll be speaking to them in no time! :smile: And hey if you're struggling to make friends you can hang out with me :P so when are you moving over? If you haven't found anywhere to live yet there's actually a free double room in our house if you're interested? You looking forward to starting your course? I've had a year away from uni and can't wait to get back haha God I must sound like such a nerd! B-) Also, what part of Italy are you from?

Stephen
Reply 10
Haha hey Minerva!

I'm from Dublin, which is the capital, and way better than Cork :wink: Unfortunately there's no Irish society in the uni :'( me and a few friends tried to set one up but we couldn't get enough members! But hey maybe we can set one up when you get here :P
Ad actually there aren't taht many Yorkshire people in the university of York, most of them are from down south but the accent isn't bad at all. You'll be speaking to them in no time! :smile: And hey if you're struggling to make friends you can hang out with me :P so when are you moving over? If you haven't found anywhere to live yet there's actually a free double room in our house if you're interested? You looking forward to starting your course? I've had a year away from uni and can't wait to get back haha God I must sound like such a nerd! B-) Also, what part of Italy are you from?

Stephen

Dublin the real capital??? How dare you say such a thing?? Up the rebels!! :biggrin:
It would be great fun to make an Irish society! You can count me in!

I'm from Perugia, which is a small town in between Rome and Florence. I'm moving to York around the 20th of September and I've already found a place ( but thanks for your offer anyway! :smile: )
The house is in Fulford road and I hope it's not far away from the social life and the rest.
Btw, I'll be glad to have an IrishYorkie friend! I think I spotted you on fb, if you are the guy who posted something about a house in the University of York Postgraduate Student group!
I'm here too.

I'll be taking an MA in Applied Human Rights.

I'm also working for the new Constantine College as a tutor so you can message me if you decide to live there and have any issues.

23 year old relocating home (home being the UK) after spending 2 years in South Korea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I'm here too.

I'll be taking an MA in Applied Human Rights.

I'm also working for the new Constantine College as a tutor so you can message me if you decide to live there and have any issues.

23 year old relocating home (home being the UK) after spending 2 years in South Korea.

Hi Jay!
Wow! 2 years in South Korea! Surely you have interesting stories to tell!
Applied Human Rights is in the Dept of Politics, right? Probably we'll see each other then!
I don't think I'll choose Constantine College, but thank you anyway! :smile:
MA in English Literary Studies, can't wait!

Do we get to choose a college then? I just assumed we were put into Wentworth, shows how much research I've put into this!
Original post by PeoplesChampion
MA in English Literary Studies, can't wait!

Do we get to choose a college then? I just assumed we were put into Wentworth, shows how much research I've put into this!

If you reside in a college you become a member of that college AND Wentworth.

I have to live in Constantine as a tutor so I'm a member of Constantine and Wentworth.

Original post by Minerva89
Hi Jay!
Wow! 2 years in South Korea! Surely you have interesting stories to tell!
Applied Human Rights is in the Dept of Politics, right? Probably we'll see each other then!
I don't think I'll choose Constantine College, but thank you anyway! :smile:

It's officially the dept. of politics I think but it's based in the Centre for Applied Human Rights.
Aw man I was in Vanbrugh college for 3 years...so now I'm in Wentworth? So much for Vanbrugh 'til I die haha
Aw man I was in Vanbrugh college for 3 years...so now I'm in Wentworth? So much for Vanbrugh 'til I die haha

You stay a member of your undergrad college. You can be a member of multiple colleges.

You'll be in Wentworth too.
Reply 17
Hello everyone!
I'm Dave, I'll be starting the Bioscience Technology MSc in September... I actually have no clue as to how this whole college malarky works - can anyone fill me in? Great to see a thread about this!

Dave
Original post by germdave
Hello everyone!
I'm Dave, I'll be starting the Bioscience Technology MSc in September... I actually have no clue as to how this whole college malarky works - can anyone fill me in? Great to see a thread about this!

Dave

Hey Dave! Well if you're an undergraduate in York you get to choose which college you want to be in and if you play football, rugby, squash etc. you can play for those teams. Although since you're new to the uni you'll be automatically put into Wentworth College because you're a postgrad :smile:

There's 9 colleges (I think) and it's used to create smaller communities within the uni and give people a chance to meet new people and make friends. I imagine Wentworth will have something organised for the postgraduates pretty early on :smile:
Original post by germdave
Hello everyone!

Dave

Here's how it works.

You were a York undergrad - you retain undergrad college ties, you gain ties to any accommodation you move in to as a postgrad AND Wentworth college ties for being a postgrad.

You study at York for the first time as a postgrad off campus - you only have Wentworth.
You study at York for the first time as a postgrad ON campus - you gain ties to your accommodation college plus Wentworth [if said college is not already Wentworth].
You studied at York for undergrad but live off campus - you retain your undergrad ties plus Wentworth.

Example: I am coming to York for the first time as a postgrad and living on campus.

I have Constantine and Wentworth ties.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending