The Student Room Group

Gym Help anyone?!

I am new to using my local gym, how much time should I spend in there each session and how many times per week should I aim to go?

Thanks !
Reply 1
Original post by Jakekelly_
I am new to using my local gym, how much time should I spend in there each session and how many times per week should I aim to go?

Thanks !

What are your goals broseph?
Reply 2
it depends on your goals and current level...
Reply 3
My novice-level full body (lifting) programme takes about 90 minutes per workout, 3 times per week.
Pure Gym is quite cheap.

At Uni, I would go 3 times a week, just over an hour for each session.

Now that I have work, I would aim for 2 times a week and the same duration.

Its hard to say, just go and see how long you like to spend in there because some people love taking it easy and chilling and end up staying for much longer whereas some like to get it over and done it asap.
Reply 5
TBH I would just like to see a visual difference by the end of the summer as I am quite skinny at the moment.
Reply 6
Original post by Jakekelly_
TBH I would just like to see a visual difference by the end of the summer as I am quite skinny at the moment.

Eat more and do compound lifts.
Reply 7
I'm no expert on this at all but I go everyday, cardio everyday for around 40 minutes (probably too much I don't know?)

Then I usually do weights and other workouts 3 times a week.

Probably at the gym for about 1-1.30 hours, I like to get out the house for as long as possible so I stay there for quite a while.
Reply 8
Original post by Ruffiio
I'm no expert on this at all but I go everyday, cardio everyday for around 40 minutes (probably too much I don't know?)

Then I usually do weights and other workouts 3 times a week.

Probably at the gym for about 1-1.30 hours, I like to get out the house for as long as possible so I stay there for quite a while.

That's a lot of cardio, are you trying to lose weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ElChapo
That's a lot of cardio, are you trying to lose weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, how much cardio is adequate?
Reply 10
Original post by Ruffiio
Nope, how much cardio is adequate?

It really depends on how active of a life-style you live otherwise.

If you're somewhat sedentary, 40 mins seems pretty good actually.

Do what makes you feel fitter.

I try to do around 25 mins per day, usually 4-5 days per week.
Original post by Pedd
It really depends on how active of a life-style you live otherwise.

If you're somewhat sedentary, 40 mins seems pretty good actually.

Do what makes you feel fitter.

I try to do around 25 mins per day, usually 4-5 days per week.

Yep I,m very sedentary, thisvis the first time in my life I have started working out properly on a regular basis, been doing 40 minutes of cardio everyday for about 2 months now. Not missed a day. I love going the gym that's why. I hate wasting time aitting at home. Resting days between weightlifting sessions are annoying because it's I wouldn't say addictive but I can't think of another word right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest