The Student Room Group

Further maths AS in Y13 OR Chemistry A2

Hey guys, so basically I am currently studying
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
And originally wanted to drop biology and take on further maths AS next year as want to study engineering @ either Cambridge/imperial. However due to timetable problems at our school I can only drop chemistry instead, to do further maths. My question is if I just carried maths chemistry and physicsto a2 would I still have a chance of MechEng at either of these universities, or should I drop chem for Bio, so I will be doing Maths Physics and Bio to a2 aswell as further maths AS, which would more likely to see me get an offer.
Reply 1
For mechanical engineering i'm fairly sure it won't make a difference whether you take biology or chemistry; they only ask for physics and maths. It's entirely up to you, but both chemistry and biology are not directly relevant to your course where as further maths is. Taking further maths would be beneficial from an application perspective, and from a personal perspective (i.e. it will help you in your further studies) so i'd just drop the chemistry.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Hey guys, so basically I am currently studying
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
And originally wanted to drop biology and take on further maths AS next year as want to study engineering @ either Cambridge/imperial. However due to timetable problems at our school I can only drop chemistry instead, to do further maths. My question is if I just carried maths chemistry and physicsto a2 would I still have a chance of MechEng at either of these universities, or should I drop chem for Bio, so I will be doing Maths Physics and Bio to a2 aswell as further maths AS, which would more likely to see me get an offer.

Take FM AS and drop chem A2. Looks better, better course prep, much much easier. No brainer really
Original post by Mike_123
Take FM AS and drop chem A2. Looks better, better course prep, much much easier. No brainer really

Original post by Nymthae
For mechanical engineering i'm fairly sure it won't make a difference whether you take biology or chemistry; they only ask for physics and maths. It's entirely up to you, but both chemistry and biology are not directly relevant to your course where as further maths is. Taking further maths would be beneficial from an application perspective, and from a personal perspective (i.e. it will help you in your further studies) so i'd just drop the chemistry.

Thanks guys, I love chemistry but will go ahead with taking AS further maths as is much more relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest