The Student Room Group

Starting with £1500 - can I do it?

Hey guys!
I'm not eligible for my tuition fee loan or a grant as I've used my gift year. Hopefully SF will assess my CPR and it's accepted.
If not, I'd be using maintenance loan to pay the tuition fee loan.

My parents are going to pay for my rent which would be around £300 a month.
I have £1400 savings (also have an interview for another job this week, if I get it, I'll be on at least £2000 before I leave.

Question is can I suffice with £1500 up until January (will receive a bursary then hopefully)

I don't drink. I'd also be taking food from home and freezing it when I go back to uni. This would be around two weeks worth of food. And id be returning home at least once every three weeks. So I know I would save considerable money food wise.

Id be in Cardiff btw, and it's known to be one of the most affordable cities I hear.

Enlighten me! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by namelessgem
Hey guys!
I'm not eligible for my tuition fee loan or a grant as I've used my gift year. Hopefully SF will assess my CPR and it's accepted.
If not, I'd be using maintenance loan to pay the tuition fee loan.

My parents are going to pay for my rent which would be around £300 a month.
I have £1400 savings (also have an interview for another job this week, if I get it, I'll be on at least £2000 before I leave.

Question is can I suffice with £1500 up until January (will receive a bursary then hopefully)

I don't drink. I'd also be taking food from home and freezing it when I go back to uni. This would be around two weeks worth of food. And id be returning home at least once every three weeks. So I know I would save considerable money food wise.

Id be in Cardiff btw, and it's known to be one of the most affordable cities I hear.

Enlighten me! :smile:

You should take out a Student Account or two. You'll have a £1,500 Overdraft X 2 if you do. = £3,000.

You could also apply for the National Scholarship if you haven't already.

But yeah you'd be able to live on that I reckon. Especially if you can get a Part-Time while studying.
Reply 2
Original post by OllieDS
You should take out a Student Account or two. You'll have a £1,500 Overdraft X 2 if you do. = £3,000.

But yeah you'd be able to live on that I reckon. Especially if you can get a Part-Time while studying.

Sadly I've already used an overdraft :frown: I assumed it's only possible with one account?

Yeah I would be looking for even casual hours, because it'd make a difference.
But until January- the money I have means it's £250 a month- which is £75 a week. From what I've read, many people spend less than this right?

So I should be ok if the worst case scenario is that I only have them funds?

Thanks for your reply
If your parents pay your rent, you could manage a whole year on £1500.
Reply 4
I've not heard about this scholarship - any pre requisites? Or is it competitive in any way?
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
If your parents pay your rent, you could manage a whole year on £1500.

Really? Sorry I'm wanting the opinions of the masses who already live away from home, as I've been living at home for two years.
Am I overthinking that there's more to the week than food and the odd few quid on travel?
Really? Sorry I'm wanting the opinions of the masses who already live away from home, as I've been living at home for two years.
Am I overthinking that there's more to the week than food and the odd few quid on travel?

I really don't buy much more than food and alcohol. Obviously about once a term you might have to re-stock on toiletries, but I buy practically nothing else. Libraries have all the books I need. Practically everything else is just a non-essential.
Reply 7
Original post by OllieDS

I've read a little on the NSP just now, it's only for those who pay £9000 fees? I'm part of the 3k system
I myself started of with £300 and it lasted until after freshers didn't get my student loan on time which came around november.
I've read a little on the NSP just now, it's only for those who pay £9000 fees? I'm part of the 3k system

I pay £8500 and still get the scholarship.
Reply 10
Original post by Black Cat
I pay £8500 and still get the scholarship.

Can I still apply for this? When is the deadline?
Reply 11
Can I still apply for this? When is the deadline?

Sorry to keep bothering you but the criteria for the nsp or a bursary says I have to be eligible for a tuition fee loan? (I'm not being granted my tuition fee loan)
Dear lord, every type of funding is somehow blocked for me. What am I meant to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending