The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A fox visits IDF troops in Gaza, leaves them a present.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f08_1406644412
Original post by well in the dark
Dunno whether to laugh/cry.

It was one of the deadliest nights last night in Gaza. 180 people have been killed since last night. This is what the Israeli embassy in the UK had to say:

Israel's war against humanity waging on ground, against common humanity and sense online.

For the vast majority of the time, it's Israelis that suffer in the south and not Gaza.

It's Israeli kids that can't go to school, whilst Gazan kids can.

It's just the media will only report when Israel retaliates.
Original post by tsr1269

Wow! You had to write all this just to justify the fact that HAMAS is exactly like Israel. Excuse me a moment whilst I dismiss your hyperbole.

There. It's dismissed.

That's your best comeback? Nothing in my response implied that Hamas is exactly like Israel. Hamas actively targets civilians unlike Israel. Hamas, if it was as weak as it claims, should have never started a war it knew it would lose, along with many of its civilians.

I'm sorry that you're so incapable of thinking about what everyone else writes and just translate it to suit your own needs for your Hamas Propaganda speeches. They should hire you. Then again, maybe they already have.

Won't address your other points since I am returning the favor.
Original post by miavdbt
Seems like a waste of resources for the Israelis. Why would they be so considerate? It's not like Hamas offers them the same courtesy when they use the tunnels to kidnap Israelis.

You mean the Israeli's needs some human sacrifices (preferably Palestinians)?

Its much better to destroy all tunnels once, and then not worry about them for a while (or ever, if this operation succeeds).

Except it is impossible to destroy all the tunnels. Instead of building an "apartheid wall" upwards, maybe they should build one "downwards"...
Original post by Pinzgauer
For the vast majority of the time, it's Israelis that suffer in the south and not Gaza.

I will add you to my 'ignore' list. :smile:
[h="1"]Israel Shrinks Gaza Strip by 40 Percent[/h]
The Israeli military, relentlessly and methodically, is driving people out of the 3-kilometer (1.8 mile) buffer zone it says it needs to protect against Hamas rockets and tunnels. According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the buffer zone eats up about 44 percent of Gaza’s territory.

Israel's stealth occupation of even more land. At this rate Israel cannot possibly last much longer.
Original post by miavdbt
That's your best comeback? Nothing in my response implied that Hamas is exactly like Israel. Hamas actively targets civilians unlike Israel. Hamas, if it was as weak as it claims, should have never started a war it knew it would lose, along with many of its civilians.

You said that 0 deaths are acceptable before Israel should invade.

I'm simply saying that HAMAS believes the same.

Therefore, you believe that HAMAS is justified in it's rocket attacks...

I'm sorry that you're so incapable of thinking about what everyone else writes and just translate it to suit your own needs for your Hamas Propaganda speeches. They should hire you. Then again, maybe they already have.

Except I haven't posted any propaganda. You'd be hard pressed to find any.

Won't address your other points since I am returning the favor.

More "whatboutery". Damn! You people have sure monopolised whaboutery single handedly...
Israel Shrinks Gaza Strip by 40 Percent

Israel's stealth occupation of even more land. At this rate Israel cannot possibly last much longer.

Stealth occupation? they left in 2005.

You don't understand Gaza much, do you?

This is a temporary incursion until the tunnels and rockets are dealt with. They aren't going to start building homes for Israelis.

You don't understand Gaza much, do you?

On the contrary, I think I understand Gaza all too much; my understanding of it is too much for you to take or comprehend. Gaza, and Israel too.
Original post by tsr1269
You said that 0 deaths are acceptable before Israel should invade.

I'm simply saying that HAMAS believes the same.

Therefore, you believe that HAMAS is justified in it's rocket attacks..

Let's entertain the thought that HAMAS is justified for a moment. Even so, what kind of thoughts go through their heads when they decide to start a war with one of the most powerful militaries in the world? Why would you ever shoot your rockets into a country that can obliterate your entire land before you can say Allah Akbar?

Except I haven't posted any propaganda. You'd be hard pressed to find any.

Pretty much everything everyone has posted and you've responded to has been twisted by you to suit your own point, even if the person obviously did not mean that. Either you're posting propaganda, or your reading comprehension skills are severally lacking.

More "whatboutery". Damn! You people have sure monopolised whaboutery single handedly...

I have no idea where that even... never mind, this is your trademark.
Original post by miavdbt
Let's entertain the thought that HAMAS is justified for a moment. Even so, what kind of thoughts go through their heads when they decide to start a war with one of the most powerful militaries in the world? Why would you ever shoot your rockets into a country that can obliterate your entire land before you can say Allah Akbar?

How did HAMAS "start a war with one of the most powerful military in the world"?

Pretty much everything everyone has posted and you've responded to has been twisted by you to suit your own point, even if the person obviously did not mean that. Either you're posting propaganda, or your reading comprehension skills are severally lacking.

So that's a no on the propaganda front? Can't say I'm surprised...

Why do you make foolish statements which you know you cannot support?

I have no idea where that even... never mind, this is your trademark.

I have a "trademark"? That's a new one so full credit on you using your brain for once...

This is a temporary incursion until the tunnels and rockets are dealt with. They aren't going to start building homes for Israelis.

This is a war in every way, not an operation.
On the contrary, I think I understand Gaza all too much; my understanding of it is too much for you to take or comprehend. Gaza, and Israel too.

So how can you explain your ridiculous conclusion that Israel is trying to "steal land" it left voluntarily almost a decade ago? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eri23
The UN need to do more than just claiming that 'there needs to be a ceasefire.'

TBH the UN doesnt have much power in governing global conflicts like this...
Please could someone explain in simple terms why this conflict has arisen
im so confused by it
So what's can explain your ridiculous conclusion that Israel is trying to "steal land" it left voluntarily almost a decade ago? :biggrin:

Why should it be a ridiculous conclusion? It's the conclusion of the man who initiated Israel's pulling-out of Gaza. It's the conclusion of Moshe Feiglin, senior politician in the current Israeli governemnt. It seems to be the conclusion the vast majority of the Israeli population has come to, judging from the polls. Israel's colonial rhetoric is not lost on all. On many it is, yes, but not all.
Eran Efrati, member of 'Breaking the Silence' talks about the live killing of a man by the Israeli 'Defence' Forces:
In recent weeks I was on the border of Gaza and getting reports from soldiers in the Gaza Strip who leak information out to me. I am in the process of publication of two big stories in major U.S. newspapers, but there are some things I can share with you right now: Soldiers in two different units inside Gaza leaked information about the murdering of Palestinians by sniper fire in Shuja'iyya neighborhood as punishment for the death of soldiers in their units. After the shooting on the Israeli armored personnel carriers, which killed seven soldiers of the Golani Brigade, the Israeli army carried out a massacre in Shuja'iyya neighborhood. A day after the massacre, many Palestinians came to search for their relatives and their families in the rubble. In one of the videos uploaded to YouTube, a young Palestinian man Salem Shammaly calls the names of his family and looking for them between the ruins when he is suddenly shot at in his chest and falls down. A few seconds after that, there are two additional shootings from snipers into his body, killing him instantly. Since the video was released, there was no official response from the IDF spokesperson. Today I can report that the official command that was handed down to the soldiers in Shujaiyya was to capture Palestinian homes as outposts. From these posts, the soldiers drew an imaginary red line, and amongst themselves decided to shoot to death anyone who crosses it. Anyone crossing the line was defined as a threat to their outposts, and was thus deemed a legitimate target. This was the official reasoning inside the units. I was told that the unofficial reason was to enable the soldiers to take out their frustrations and pain at losing their fellow soldiers (something that for years the IDF has not faced during its operations in Gaza and the West Bank), out on the Palestinian refugees in the neighborhood. Under the pretext of the so-called "security threat" soldiers were directed to carry out a pre-planned attack of revenge on Palestinian civilians. These stories join many other similar ones that Amira Hass and I investigated in Operation Cast Lead. The death toll that continues to rise is steadily reaching the numbers of the massacre of 2009.
More than 1,100 have been killed in Gaza, at least 80 percent of them civilians. Today it is cleared for publication that at least 4 soldiers were killed by a rocket in a gathering area outside of Gaza, and another soldier was killed in Gaza. They join 43 soldiers that have already been killed. We know that more acts of revenge will come soon and it is important that we not stay silent. This is the time to take to the streets and to social media. Demand from your representative wherever you are to stop supporting this massacre and to immediately boycott the state of Israel until the occupation ends, the blockade is lifted and Palestinians will be free. We all want to be in the right place at the right time when history knocks on our door, and history is knocking in Gaza right now. You need to decide on which side you want to go down in history.

"Times of Israel: "Hamas operatives were behind a large volley of rockets which slammed into Israel Monday morning, the first time in years the Islamist group has directly challenged the Jewish state, according to Israeli defense officials.. The security sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, assessed that Hamas had probably launched the barrage in revenge for an Israeli airstrike several hours earlier which killed one person and injured three more.. Hamas hasn't fired rockets into Israel since Operation Pillar of Defense ended in November 2012." The Nation: "During ten days of Operation Brother's Keeper in the West Bank [before the start of the Gaza conflict], Israel arrested approximately 800 Palestinians without charge or trial, killed nine civilians and raided nearly 1,300 residential, commercial and public buildings. Its military operation targeted Hamas members released during the Gilad Shalit prisoner exchange in 2011."

Jewish Daily Forward: "Hamas hadn't fired a single rocket since [2012 Gaza conflict], and had largely suppressed fire by smaller jihadi groups. Rocket firings, averaging 240 per month in 2007, dropped to five per month in 2013." International Crisis Group: "Fewer rockets were fired from Gaza in 2013 than in any year since 2001, and nearly all those that were fired between the November 2012 ceasefire and the current crisis were launched by groups other than Hamas; the Israeli security establishment testified to the aggressive anti-rocket efforts made by the new police force Hamas established specifically for that purpose.. As Israel (and Egypt) rolled back the 2012 understandings - some of which were implemented spottily at best - so too did Hamas roll back its anti rocket efforts."
Original post by lizziec1996
Please could someone explain in simple terms why this conflict has arisen
im so confused by it

Hamas were running low on funds, popularity and relevance.

If it's one thing they hate, it's being irrelevant and broke.

They sparked off a conflict to fill their coffers from Gulf state donations and get some credibility back by "fighting the Jews".

Civilian deaths are their political currency to use as leverage.

Latest

Trending

Trending