The Student Room Group

New driver but scared to parallel park

I passed my test more than a week ago but I've been learning for quite a while. I was alright with driving on my own and getting used to the road but I have a lot of problems with parking.

I'm okay with bay parking, in car parks I can reverse into a bay fine but for some reason I find it so hard to parallel park on my own car. I know how to do it, it's the manoeuvre I got on my test but I was trying to do it yesterday and I was so scared I will hit the other cars so I just drove away.

Is it worth booking a lesson with my old driving instructor? I feel really stupid cause I'm meant to know it cause I've learnt it already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by grx_
I passed my test more than a week ago but I've been learning for quite a while. I was alright with driving on my own and getting used to the road but I have a lot of problems with parking.

I'm okay with bay parking, in car parks I can reverse into a bay fine but for some reason I find it so hard to parallel park on my own car. I know how to do it, it's the manoeuvre I got on my test but I was trying to do it yesterday and I was so scared I will hit the other cars so I just drove away.

Is it worth booking a lesson with my old driving instructor? I feel really stupid cause I'm meant to know it cause I've learnt it already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just get a couple of cones or similar, find an empty big car park at night (supermarket) and practice. There is a definite technique to be learned.

Dont worry about panicking and driving off. Better to drive away than take a risk of a scrape. One saying that has always stood me in good stead when driving is " if in doubt,dont"...
Reply 2
Sounds normal tbh, the test is pretty lenient, you can honestly still pass even if you're only semi-comfortable on half the manouevers (I know this was the case for me lol). Imo, don't do anything that'll cost you more than necessary, I mean you have passed your test after all. Just find someone experienced to go with you whilst you practice reverse parking or practice on your own during non-rush hour times
Reply 3
Most of the time, you don't need to reverse into your parking space, you can drive straight into it, you might find it easier. Parallel parking is easy (I find it much easier than reversing into a parking bay, I still cannot do that), just make sure you don't pick a really narrow space. As long as you have enough room (and a small car really helps), it's easy. Take your time, but also watch the road very closely for cars coming from behind.
If you can reverse into a bay then you have the perception/handling skills needed for a parallel park, just takes a while to build up confidence in it. I do not use the method i learnt in my lessons, as long as you carry on being aware of other cars find a method that works for you. Don't be embarrassed if it takes a while, if anyone is sad enough to be watching then let them get on with it :P
Original post by grx_

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just given up on practicing maneuvers, the only useful was the 3 point turn.

Honestly, I don't parallel park, reverse into bay, around a corner and I don't even try to. When I park at a supermarket, I go to a far away bit of the car park with no cars and straddle 2 bays, or in the middle of all 4.

All I try and do is to line up my driving seat directly behind a car in front of me then reverse a bit when I have to park properly on the main road i live on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by grx_

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I passed like 6 months ago and I still avoid it where possible, just something that comes with practice I suppose.
Reply 7
Thank you for the replies! I feel less worried and silly now for stressing out so much. I've still been avoiding it but I suppose I'll just keep practising and do it when I'm confident. I'll try the cones idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending