The Student Room Group

English lit - applying post a levels...

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on Cambridge's policy regarding prospective undergrads who apply AFTER their a levels.
Basically I got my a level results yesterday and now have a place at Durham University to study in their combined honours programme. However, my results were better than I expected (A* A* A in English lit, history and French respectively, including 100% UMS in both the A* subjects, and A* in my EP if that's worth mentioning..)
I know that part of Cambridge's criteria for selecting students is focused on high UMS marks in modules… so I'm now considering applying to Cambridge for English lit. I didn't apply to Cambridge last year.
I guess I'm asking… does anyone know if by applying post a level results, I would have less of a chance of being successful since I will be taking a gap year. Would I need to justify my reasoning for applying post A level results further than "I exceeded my expectations for my A2 results…" (?) and therefore do something in my 'gap year' which would further my interest in English literature. (Would simply reading lots whilst working to earn money count?!) Perhaps this is quite a common situation?
I'm just playing with the idea at the moment; obviously I'm extremely happy with my place at Durham… but any advice would be really appreciated! (Especially as I'd need to make my mind up and tell Durham asap)
Reply 1
Original post by Jeesss
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on Cambridge's policy regarding prospective undergrads who apply AFTER their a levels.
Basically I got my a level results yesterday and now have a place at Durham University to study in their combined honours programme. However, my results were better than I expected (A* A* A in English lit, history and French respectively, including 100% UMS in both the A* subjects, and A* in my EP if that's worth mentioning..)
I know that part of Cambridge's criteria for selecting students is focused on high UMS marks in modules… so I'm now considering applying to Cambridge for English lit. I didn't apply to Cambridge last year.
I guess I'm asking… does anyone know if by applying post a level results, I would have less of a chance of being successful since I will be taking a gap year. Would I need to justify my reasoning for applying post A level results further than "I exceeded my expectations for my A2 results…" (?) and therefore do something in my 'gap year' which would further my interest in English literature. (Would simply reading lots whilst working to earn money count?!) Perhaps this is quite a common situation?
I'm just playing with the idea at the moment; obviously I'm extremely happy with my place at Durham… but any advice would be really appreciated! (Especially as I'd need to make my mind up and tell Durham asap)

2A* and with those UMS will make for a highly competitive application provided you interview well. (2A* for Arts, 3A* for science when applying postQ.) You might look especially at somewhere like Churchill which is underrepresented in Arts subjects and has a UMS focused admissions policy. Or a girls' college, if eligible! You won't qualify for "automatic pooling" if your first college doesn't take you although you may get pooled if you are narrowly pipped to an offer.

Having said that Durham combined Arts is a stunningly well respected degree and you would kick yourself if you didn't get an offer from either next year. Many people who end up at Durham are soon pleased to be there as the workload is lighter and the graduate prospects equally good.

There is a roughly equal chance of a postQ and preQ offer. PostQ people tend either to have done better than expected (and better than at AS) or were shocked not to get an offer first time & are determined to have another go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Colmans
2A* and with those UMS will make for a highly competitive application provided you interview well. (2A* for Arts, 3A* for science when applying postQ.) You might look especially at somewhere like Churchill which is underrepresented in Arts subjects and has a UMS focused admissions policy. Or a girls' college, if eligible! You won't qualify for "automatic pooling" if your first college doesn't take you although you may get pooled if you are narrowly pipped to an offer.

Having said that Durham combined Arts is a stunningly well respected degree and you would kick yourself if you didn't get an offer from either next year. Many people who end up at Durham are soon pleased to be there as the workload is lighter and the graduate prospects equally good.

Thanks for your reply! Ah okay - so I wouldn't qualify for 'automatic pooling' because I am a post A2 applicant? I didn't realise Cambridge still had girls' colleges?! (this may considerably put me off applying if I risk being put in an only girls' coll...)

Yes - it feels like a risky decision... I'm such an indecisive person; I may well stick at Durham (I'm thrilled to have a place!) but thought I'd check out my options before 100% committing... :smile:
Reply 3
(I'm also from a state school so perhaps this would aid my application too...)
Reply 4
Original post by Jeesss
Thanks for your reply! Ah okay - so I wouldn't qualify for 'automatic pooling' because I am a post A2 applicant? I didn't realise Cambridge still had girls' colleges?! (this may considerably put me off applying if I risk being put in an only girls' coll...)

Yes - it feels like a risky decision... I'm such an indecisive person; I may well stick at Durham (I'm thrilled to have a place!) but thought I'd check out my options before 100% committing... :smile:

You need three A* to be pooled postQ. When girls get pooled it is often to an all girls college (Murray edwards or Newnham) as they are undersubscribed and there are no all male colleges.

State school is not a big advantage but a seriously underperforming one or a disadvantaged background may be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending