The Student Room Group

U in General studies

Hey I got AAAB in maths chem physics and further maths. I also got a U in general studies. I was thinking of applying to cambridge, ucl, lse, bristol and queen marys for economics.
even though the universities "do not consider general studies for administration purposes", will this U grade actually affect my offers??? could I just not put in general studies on my ucas application even though it has been certified? and if i get caught I can say it was an accident and I completely forgot?
Pretend like it never happened and don't put it down on your application, what they don't know won't hurt them
Don't leave it out, it would be grounds for them to cancel your offer if they find out you left anything off your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mjohnson29
Don't leave it out, it would be grounds for them to cancel your offer if they find out you left anything off your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually getting a U grade means you don't have to put it down on UCAS as it's technically an unclassified. If OP had got an E then it'd be another story.
Reply 4
Original post by Blobar
Actually getting a U grade means you don't have to put it down on UCAS as it's technically an unclassified. If OP had got an E then it'd be another story.

Where did you get your information from?
I got a U in AS biology and I was told I had to put it on my application
[qoute]
A U grade in an AS or an A level does not have to be entered UNLESS you plan to resit it. However, the 'check this before you pay and send' page in Apply includes this statement: "Don't forget that all subjects for which you have received a result must be entered, including those you have failed." That seems to mean that everything must be entered, even if you failed it and even if you don't plan to resit. The page I've linked to above does not make this clear, so you may like to ring UCAS and see what they tell you! Update: it appears that the UCAS advisers answering the helpline are telling people that U grades must be entered regardless of whether you are re-sitting the subject or not.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719
Reply 7
So the main queston: Do you think a U in general studies will put me to a disadvantage for top ten unis, considering my other grades are AAAB???
I wouldn't say so.

Also... what is general studies? I always see it pop up. They never taught it at my secondary school, (I graduated in '10).
Why not just resit it? I doubt a pending General Studies result would count against you, and it's the easiest subject to do well in
Not at all. I know someone who is going to Cambridge to study Computer Science this year and they got a D overall in General Studies (D in AS year, U in A2).
Original post by rohan9777
Hey I got AAAB in maths chem physics and further maths. I also got a U in general studies. I was thinking of applying to cambridge, ucl, lse, bristol and queen marys for economics.
even though the universities "do not consider general studies for administration purposes", will this U grade actually affect my offers??? could I just not put in general studies on my ucas application even though it has been certified? and if i get caught I can say it was an accident and I completely forgot?

Original post by BradleyLawrence
Pretend like it never happened and don't put it down on your application, what they don't know won't hurt them

Original post by Blobar

You have to declare U grades:

'The information you supply
If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any information, including any qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results,

given false or misleading information,

supplied a personal statement, or parts of a personal statement, that you have not written yourself,

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties whether it is accurate or complete.
We have the right to cancel your application without giving you your application fee back, if we determine or (having carried out any necessary checks) or have reasonable belief that your application contains false information or you have not written your personal statement yourself.'

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Original post by Pectorac
You have to declare U grades:

'The information you supply
If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any information, including any qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results,

given false or misleading information,

supplied a personal statement, or parts of a personal statement, that you have not written yourself,

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties whether it is accurate or complete.
We have the right to cancel your application without giving you your application fee back, if we determine or (having carried out any necessary checks) or have reasonable belief that your application contains false information or you have not written your personal statement yourself.'

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

Ill take the risk then mate
Reply 13
I doubt they'll care.
Reply 14
Original post by mjohnson29

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would they even find out and why would they suddenly decide to enquire into it anyway?
Original post by Sex God
How would they even find out and why would they suddenly decide to enquire into it anyway?

When UCAS are given AS and A2 results to process, to see if candidates have got into their choices or not, they are sent every grade, including U grades, by the exam boards. They then check to see whether this matches with the information supplied in the candidate's application.
Original post by BradleyLawrence
Ill take the risk then mate

Why? Nobody is going to care if you get a U in general studies, but they are going to care if you lie. Universities want to see people with good character, not somebody who tried to hide something and is prepared to lie about it. Being honest is best; you don't want to be rejected because you didn't declare a grade which wouldn't have mattered anyway, but you couldn't do the honest and mature thing by telling the truth.
Original post by Pectorac
Why? Nobody is going to care if you get a U in general studies, but they are going to care if you lie. Universities want to see people with good character, not somebody who tried to hide something and is prepared to lie about it. Being honest is best; you don't want to be rejected because you didn't declare a grade which wouldn't have mattered anyway, but you couldn't do the honest and mature thing by telling the truth.

I got a U in Computing lol, i reckon it would be a laugh to see what happens, but i say that now, ill probably put it down anyway
Normally when you get a "U" in any subject, you don't put it on UCAS. A "U" is no reward, so don't bother about adding it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're still cautious, ask your college for advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest