The Student Room Group

Help - reserved space at Hull but unsure of degree!

I missed my offer at the University of Birmingham, so I called up Hull, and they have reserved me a space until Monday. I have withdrawn from my insurance because I didn't want to go there in the end, but I am getting stressed with my degree. I have applied for History and English joint honours but I keep having doubts, purely if this is the right course for me, and if I actually want to do it. Ontop of that, moving out would be scary because I haven't mentally prepared for it and I would miss my family SO much, we are really close and my mum's having a baby, so I wouldn't be around to see her grow up. My friend at Hull said that it's good and I would love it, but I am worried I won't make friends and be so far away from home...

Also, the course. I don't feel 100% sure if I would like it and then I would drop out. I am terrified of hating it. I had intense A levels and I barely read as much as I did before as I had time, so I am scared of hating it. My friends are saying that I am good at those subjects and that being indecisive doesn't help, and that I am over thinking it all. But I WISH I was 100% 'yes, I want to do this course' although, my friend said he hated his degree by third year and that you have to try it in order to love it or hate it. And that my friend said I was lucky as clearing was intense this year.

I like what I see for the course modules, so I think my problem is if I can't cope, or because I haven't enjoyed reading for pleasure in a while, that I might not like that, and just missing my family allot.

I am not sure what other degree I would undertake.
Original post by Utterly-confused
I missed my offer at the University of Birmingham, so I called up Hull, and they have reserved me a space until Monday. I have withdrawn from my insurance because I didn't want to go there in the end, but I am getting stressed with my degree. I have applied for History and English joint honours but I keep having doubts, purely if this is the right course for me, and if I actually want to do it. Ontop of that, moving out would be scary because I haven't mentally prepared for it and I would miss my family SO much, we are really close and my mum's having a baby, so I wouldn't be around to see her grow up. My friend at Hull said that it's good and I would love it, but I am worried I won't make friends and be so far away from home...

Also, the course. I don't feel 100% sure if I would like it and then I would drop out. I am terrified of hating it. I had intense A levels and I barely read as much as I did before as I had time, so I am scared of hating it. My friends are saying that I am good at those subjects and that being indecisive doesn't help, and that I am over thinking it all. But I WISH I was 100% 'yes, I want to do this course' although, my friend said he hated his degree by third year and that you have to try it in order to love it or hate it. And that my friend said I was lucky as clearing was intense this year.

I like what I see for the course modules, so I think my problem is if I can't cope, or because I haven't enjoyed reading for pleasure in a while, that I might not like that, and just missing my family allot.

You are not thinking about your subject. You are questioning whether you want to go away to university at all this year. Only you can answer that question, but Hull won't get any closer if you are reading something else; the subject you read will have no effect on your relations with your new sister, and the workload will be similar whatever you read.

I would say, its a big wide world. Go and join it. You may think differently.
Original post by Utterly-confused

Give uni a miss this year - you are so not ready to go. Would you have staying at home if you went to Birmingham - because if you weren't you would still have homesickness issues.

Another year won't matter and you can reapply - if you want to go - for the next intake.
I think I am scared to go and leave home, seeing as I was going to stay at home. But I am also worried the course isn't right for me, or am I just picking faults? I don't want to take a gap year, at all. It's just because I am not 100% sure with the course, how could I undertake it? Or is everyone like that - they are little unsure but go for it?
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Give uni a miss this year - you are so not ready to go. Would you have staying at home if you went to Birmingham - because if you weren't you would still have homesickness issues.

Another year won't matter and you can reapply - if you want to go - for the next intake.

I was going to stay at home, I think I am prepared to go but I am just worried about this course.
I did A level Philosophy and I had actually considered it, I think I might enjoy it, but I know how hard Philosophy is. Even as I am typing this, Philosophy and History is making me have a much more positive vibe than English, but I did better in English and I also do like it. I don't think Hull does it as a joint honour.

Uhm, apart from that, I look at everything and it appeals to me, lol. So I can't really say, there's nursing, all sorts!
I am not saying don't go - I am saying wait a year. The OP is not sure of the course or the distance or the university. It is a lot of money to shell out on such uncertainties.

In a year's time the baby will have been born and she will have had time to reflect on whether history is the right course.
I wouldn't mind doing History and Philosophy but it was such a pain in the arse for A level, and I am better at English - I think the reading scares me, there's obviously allot of reading to do, but I haven't had time to read for pleasure since A levels started, so I am wondering if I would hate it. I don't have a clue, I was struggling last year to decide aswell.
But not as joint honours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending