The Student Room Group

I'm so clueless right now.

I know crying doesn't solve anything and right now there are so many decisions to make and I'm so lost.

At AS I received BBCC in Biology, Economics, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was so upset however still applied for economics and received offers from Birmingham, York, Exeter & Nottingham. I firmed Exeter and Insured York. Applied for resits and worked harder during my A2 year.

My resits went up to ABB (Economics, Maths and Biology respecitvely) however at A2 I got BBC (My C was 3 ums off a B in maths) I'm so upset and so lost right now and have no idea what to do. I was in clearing, however I think I'm going to attend an independent sixth form college in order to get the grades that I know I'm capable of getting.

However, how will this affect my application for economics? Can someone just waffle at me please :colondollar:

I know it's probably too late to do an internship in my gap year? Can someone confirm this for me?

Can someone also recommend which modules I resit in order to ensure I get much much better grades.

Biology:
BIOL 4 - 70/100
BIOL 5 - 98/140
TOTAL - 442/600

Economics:
ECON 3 - 46/100 (Remark)
ECON 4 - 83/100
TOTAL - 296/400

Mathematics:
C3 - 74/100
C4 - 77/100
M1 - 48/100 (Remark)
TOTAL - 417/600

Please be kind, I'm already pretty emotional about everything.
Original post by charliesmith18
I know crying doesn't solve anything and right now there are so many decisions to make and I'm so lost.

At AS I received BBCC in Biology, Economics, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was so upset however still applied for economics and received offers from Birmingham, York, Exeter & Nottingham. I firmed Exeter and Insured York. Applied for resits and worked harder during my A2 year.

My resits went up to ABB (Economics, Maths and Biology respecitvely) however at A2 I got BBC (My C was 3 ums off a B in maths) I'm so upset and so lost right now and have no idea what to do. I was in clearing, however I think I'm going to attend an independent sixth form college in order to get the grades that I know I'm capable of getting.

However, how will this affect my application for economics? Can someone just waffle at me please :colondollar:

I know it's probably too late to do an internship in my gap year? Can someone confirm this for me?

Can someone also recommend which modules I resit in order to ensure I get much much better grades.

Biology:
BIOL 4 - 70/100
BIOL 5 - 98/140
TOTAL - 442/600

Economics:
ECON 3 - 46/100 (Remark)
ECON 4 - 83/100
TOTAL - 296/400

Mathematics:
C3 - 74/100
C4 - 77/100
M1 - 48/100 (Remark)
TOTAL - 417/600

Please be kind, I'm already pretty emotional about everything.

Don't panic. Just resit the A2 year and redo Economics and Maths with another subject, maybe History, in the A2 year. It will be hard work redoing an entire subject plus resits of A2 exams but if you get AAABC in Biology, Economics, Maths, History and Chemistry I think you would have a really trong chance at studying Economics. Maybe even at Oxbridge or LSE.
Moved to clearing :smile:

As well as the practical resits issue, you need to address a more fundamental question.

You believe you are capable of getting very high grades yet have twice failed to do so. Why? What is - or isn't - happening to cause this? Is it a teaching issue? Or is it something to do with you? Study habits? Exam technique?
Original post by ageshallnot
As well as the practical resits issue, you need to address a more fundamental question.

You believe you are capable of getting very high grades yet have twice failed to do so. Why? What is - or isn't - happening to cause this? Is it a teaching issue? Or is it something to do with you? Study habits? Exam technique?

I genuinely feel I received the grades I did this year because of how many exams I sat in a short period of time :frown:

The first time around, I didn't work to my full ability, not even close to and last year I definitely worked harder
Original post by Madeline_H95
Don't panic. Just resit the A2 year and redo Economics and Maths with another subject, maybe History, in the A2 year. It will be hard work redoing an entire subject plus resits of A2 exams but if you get AAABC in Biology, Economics, Maths, History and Chemistry I think you would have a really trong chance at studying Economics. Maybe even at Oxbridge or LSE.

But because I'm reapplying with BBC (Have sent off for 2 remarks so this may change :crossedf: ) Do you reckon I'll be rejected?

How likely will it be that they'll later accept me on results day next year if I call up through clearing/adjustment?
But because I'm reapplying with BBC (Have sent off for 2 remarks so this may change :crossedf: ) Do you reckon I'll be rejected?

How likely will it be that they'll later accept me on results day next year if I call up through clearing/adjustment?

Which unis are you talking about when you say 'they'?
Which unis are you talking about when you say 'they'?

Russel group unis
Russel group unis

Please tell me you know that the Russell Group does not include all good universities?

For example, are you aware that if you use the Complete University Guide rankings as a rough guide*, there are 5 non-RG unis in the top 20 for Economics?

*Although I dislike unthinking adoption of university ranking tables, they can be used for general illustrative purposes.
Please tell me you know that the Russell Group does not include all good universities?

For example, are you aware that if you use the Complete University Guide rankings as a rough guide*, there are 5 non-RG unis in the top 20 for Economics?

*Although I dislike unthinking adoption of university ranking tables, they can be used for general illustrative purposes.

Of course, such as Bath. Sorry I should have been clearer
Of course, such as Bath. Sorry I should have been clearer

Yes, plus St Andrews, Lancaster, Surrey etc....
Original post by emma46
If you're going to resit then maths is the obvious one. If you use the website 'exam solutions' and do all of the past papers, you should easily be getting a high B / A grade.

How can you be so sure

You have no idea what the OP did in terms of study this year

If you've been rejected already from top universites, they won't automatically receive your remarked grades. They have forgotten about you and you will need to ring them up and ask them if they have any places availabe. If they don't, tough luck, apply next year. With 2 A's and a B, you have a chance but not as high as someone with AAA.
Reply 13
Hi chariesmith18,

I just graduated my bachelor in economics, so I'm a little out of touch with what the unis are doings as per taking lower offers for economics. I would say that if you can get an offer from a decent uni (anything in the Times top 30 or so) then just go for it. From what I hear the requirements have dropped, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Unless you think that you can extremely drastically change your prospects with another year, I would say move on to university because you may find the studying there suits you much better. I got ACCD at A level, high C's and D's but neverthless ACCD. I got into Buckingham though clearing (sheer luck) and worked my arse off, finishing with a 1st class w/ hons and top of the class with 85% in my diss.

Studying in 6th form really didn't suit me; at uni you dictate your own pace and if you've a ruthless work ethic you can improve your grades dramatically. A freind of mine who got BBC at A level just accepted her offer for health economics at the LSE for example, and I'm going to read an MSc in applied economics at Nottingham.

I hope things turn out for you. You seem to be taking this all seriously, which is the most important thing.
Original post by irvin92
Hi chariesmith18,

I just graduated my bachelor in economics, so I'm a little out of touch with what the unis are doings as per taking lower offers for economics. I would say that if you can get an offer from a decent uni (anything in the Times top 30 or so) then just go for it. From what I hear the requirements have dropped, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Unless you think that you can extremely drastically change your prospects with another year, I would say move on to university because you may find the studying there suits you much better. I got ACCD at A level, high C's and D's but neverthless ACCD. I got into Buckingham though clearing (sheer luck) and worked my arse off, finishing with a 1st class w/ hons and top of the class with 85% in my diss.

Studying in 6th form really didn't suit me; at uni you dictate your own pace and if you've a ruthless work ethic you can improve your grades dramatically. A freind of mine who got BBC at A level just accepted her offer for health economics at the LSE for example, and I'm going to read an MSc in applied economics at Nottingham.

I hope things turn out for you. You seem to be taking this all seriously, which is the most important thing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this :smile: it's really help me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending