The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Datta10
Is expecting a starting salary of 28k ok for software engineers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alevelzzz
Dentists have a far greater knowledge of the head and neck than medics after university, also dentists have to learn surgical procedures and be able to perform them. The pre clinical years are very similar though...

You course is 6 years because of the intercalated BSC, vets and dentists can also do this but it is not compulsory.

OVERALL, I agree, after university being a doctor has much more difficulties than being a general dentist. However, in certain respects, dentistry is more difficult.

Doctors also must learn about surgical procedures and be able to perform them- after all, the degree is Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. However, I agree hat dentists have a vaster knowledge of the head and neck than your typical doctor, although most medical specialities do not involve the head and neck.

I'm not sure if dentists are taught neuro, however.
Original post by MUN123
lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm

My good mate is studying software engineering at City. He's on a placement year right now between years 2 and 3 and is earning more than that (21 K).
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Doctors can earn £100k, sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. Some people though are finding it hard to credit bad8oy's belief that being a doctor will lead to earning £100k by 32 though.

8 years of salary increment as a consultant to hit that figure, 8 years minimum after medical school to become a consultant. Unless he graduated medical school at 16 he's going to be a bit past 32 if/when he reaches the 100k mark.

You don't need to be a consultant to earn 100k as a doctor. That's the point I'm trying to make. Personally if I was going to practice as a doctor id go down the GP route, it's pretty easy to find work to supplement your salary. People are making out its impossible. People in my family have done it by that age so I don't think it's very unreasonable.
I know a locum FY2 who racked up 120k in a year, just doing locum work. She was working stupid hours though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by navarre
My good mate is studying software engineering at City. He's on a placement year right now between years 2 and 3 and is earning more than that (21 K).

He must be in London then? Salaries are ridiculous with the amount of skills they require, I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MUN123
He must be in London then? Salaries are ridiculous with the amount of skills they require, I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that

Yep, he's in London.
Reply 446
Original post by MUN123
I had to refuse a grad offer for 18k as I know I am worth more than that

And yet a few weeks ago you were moaning that you couldnt even get a minimum wage job - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2749165.

How did you come to the conclusion that you're worth more than 18k?
Original post by bad8oy
You don't need to be a consultant to earn 100k as a doctor. That's the point I'm trying to make. Personally if I was going to practice as a doctor id go down the GP route, it's pretty easy to find work to supplement your salary. People are making out its impossible. People in my family have done it by that age so I don't think it's very unreasonable.
I know a locum FY2 who racked up 120k in a year, just doing locum work. She was working stupid hours though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont understand why youd go into medicine instead of dentistry if money was your interest? Theres definitely a higher percentage of big earners in dentistry compared to med
Original post by alevelzzz
I dont understand why youd go into medicine instead of dentistry if money was your interest? Theres definitely a higher percentage of big earners in dentistry compared to med

Medicine interests me. It's something I'm very passionate about. Dentistry although similar in many ways doesn't appeal to me.
I'd personally be able to earn more money in med because I'll be able to work for a member in my family. It's not just the money that interests me lol, it's a combination of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisefire
There's nothing I like at all in life. I'm not even going there. Money and work and improving the EXTENSIVENESS of my experiences are the only things I care about. FFS, NO. I want my dream car in my one, fleeting life, at the very least. What have I done so far... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading a lot of ur posts, If someone said to you that they would cut off ur testicles such tht u can never have kids of ur own, in exchange for a billion pounds. Would u do it? lol
Original post by TheWaffle
Don't let him force you! Do what you want to do. You'll only end up regretting it in the long run. Medecine is a highly stressful career to do if you're not passionate about it. Also chem engineering is a great profession with good money :biggrin: Can't you just tell him it's your life and ultimately your decision? Surely he wouldn't want you to end up unhappy and resenting him

meh, its done now.
Original post by bad8oy
Medicine interests me. It's something I'm very passionate about. Dentistry although similar in many ways doesn't appeal to me.
I'd personally be able to earn more money in med because I'll be able to work for a member in my family. It's not just the money that interests me lol, it's a combination of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend is in a similar situation, kinda.
He's like super smart in terms of maths and economics but he always wanted a high status job. Money isn't a factor, his dad runs a multi million pound business and my mate is his only son...

So hes studying dentistry, hes going to be a dentist, and hes already guaranteed to be a millionaire OUTSIDE of dentistry.

Hes iranian, and his dad has promised him an R8 when he graduates.

Hes set for ****ing life LOL
Mortgage Adviser position in October. £15K start (£18k OTE) until pass CeMap 1 (1st qualification) + hit combined sales targets. 24 months timeframe then salary bump to £25k basic (£35k OTE). Obviously sales based so all depends on ability, have examples of somebody on target to earn £35k in their first full year at 22, another at £70k at 24, but then obviously lots of people not on that.

I aim to work in the company for around 3 or 4 years gaining the necessary qualifications and moving to a company that offers better bonus schemes, positions which fulfill the experience i would have by then i've seen on various jobs sites are around £40k+ OTE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Looking at the pay scales for my organisation, I'll be on £31k next year, 45-50k within around four years, and can reasonably expect to reach 60-70k at some point. If I make it up to the top 250 or so positions (which isn't totally unrealistic) the scale tops out around 140k.

All of that is potentially boosted by periods receiving cost of living adjustments, hazard pay, or rent free living.
Reply 454
I honestly think life is going to hit some of you like a ton of bricks. Do you have any idea how few high level jobs there are for the almost 50% of the population who will have a degree when you guys graduate?

Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever. Probably less. I know people with firsts from Oxford who earn about £20,000 a year in their 30's and they don't have the sort of student debt you guys will have. In fact I only know one person who earns more than fifty grand a year, and he had to move to New York and spend his life at a computer to get it. He is 35 now and looks 50.

Do something you love and work for passion, not money, or you will probably be too old, cynical and burned out to enjoy it anyway. What you are selling is your LIFE remember.
Wow, lucky him, that's a true dream. An inheritance like that... I could just do property development/live off rent/buy a business if I were him. An R8? Jeesh good for him. Lol, I'm Iranian myself, and it's weird. Almost every other one I know is also a (genuine) millionaire, largely cos of how London property prices have gone (decent ones in Zone 2 ~£1.5mil+ easily). Again, dentistry... I can only hope my economics degree pays off to at least an above average standard. That would be nice. If not, I'll definitely save to get an MSc or MBA, though I don't know if the £35-£60k required for that could be better spent investing in/buying a business, or stocks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

His dad already owns around 14 houses including his multi million pound business LOL. My mate was telling me he went to an auction with his dad, his dad bought the first house at the auction (100k), when my mate asked him how much he needed to lend from the bank, his dad said 'Don't need any money from the bank'.

To this day my mate can only guess how much his business earns his dad, his dad wont say...

He owns a franchise of 15 takeaway shops, a mid size cash and carry, at 14 properties, ranging up to 300k.

Im guessing around 4-5mil JUST from the assets... (BTW THIS ISN'T EVEN IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND)
And he is an only ****ing child LOL
Lol when was a sapper in the army with only GCSE's and I was on 27k had about £1700 a month in my pocket after tax and accommodation.

If you are doing a degree purely in the hope of getting a well paid job, you could be wasting your time, in that 3 years you are studing a subject you may not really care about, you could be doing a job getting experience and increasing your pay so that you would actually have more money in the long term.

If you are doing a degree because it is somthing you enjoy, fair play.
Reply 457
Original post by Andy Cr
Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever. Probably less.

I'm 29 and work in the public sector.
Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.
I'm on £49,400 with a payrise due in the next couple of months.
(no family connections at all)

Care to explain your post - I'm confused...
Reply 458
If not, I'll definitely save to get an MSc or MBA, though I don't know if the £35-£60k required for that could be better spent investing in/buying a business, or stocks...

What the hell would a MSc or MBA get you that you can't with a BSc and experience?

Or an undergrad masters at least?
Original post by Andy Cr

Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever.

Dentistry y0.
35-40 hour week, 50k is considered a **** wage for a dentist. Making an improvement in people's lives and confidence, you don't sacrifice your life what so ever and its pretty much impossible to earn less than 50k full time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending