The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit
I do use this! They still moan and say that I look in the jar before I pick the lolly stick!

Get the person nearest you to pick it.
Original post by JanitaTwain
Perhaps they do this because of boredom.

They are bored and so become confrontational?
Do you find girls to do better in schools than boys?
I ask because the amount of times I hear "girls exceeding boys in getting 5 A*-C grades" in papers ALL THE TIME.
They are bored and so become confrontational?

They become bored and look for entertainment and something to occupy them- which happens to be intimidating you.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Do you find girls to do better in schools than boys?
I ask because the amount of times I hear "girls exceeding boys in getting 5 A*-C grades" in papers ALL THE TIME.

They do better in every subject other than maths in my school and even in maths the boys are only just better.
Do you bitch about the other departments? :biggrin:
Original post by danconway
Do you bitch about the other departments? :biggrin:

Yes we do, especially science. :tongue:
Original post by The vampire
I would put it in my bra. :tongue:

I would too.

Wait, what?
Original post by JanitaTwain
They become bored and look for entertainment and something to occupy them- which happens to be intimidating you.

I'm not intimidated by a 12 year old girl!
What would you change in the GCSE maths syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think A levels,are the toughest part of the academic syllabus?
I think they are BY FAR, A level maths put me off maths FOREVER.

Hell. Even my degree is easier than A level maths...

Especially after the epic excuse of Edexcel claiming their June 2013 papers were "fair".
do you have to provide your own chalk ?

:burnout:
Original post by C0balt
What would you change in the GCSE maths syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Less of it! I think the GCSE exams are just a case of cramming things into your head without understanding it but this is largely because there is just too much stuff there.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Do you think A levels,are the toughest part of the academic syllabus?
I think they are BY FAR, A level maths put me off maths FOREVER.

Hell. Even my degree is easier than A level maths...

Especially after the epic excuse of Edexcel claiming their June 2013 papers were "fair".

I found degree way harder than my MEI maths A level. Stats 1 and Core 1 I think I got 100% in. Further maths was incredibly tough though because of FP1 and FP2.

Original post by the bear
do you have to provide your own chalk ?

:burnout:

:pierre:
What's the worst thing a student/a group of students have done to you?
Less of it! I think the GCSE exams are just a case of cramming things into your head without understanding it but this is largely because there is just too much stuff there.

Specifically which topics would you get rid of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pro_crastinator
What's the worst thing a student/a group of students have done to you?

A group of 8 students, in a class of 8, all agreed that they would do no work and follow none of my instructions throughout a lesson.

Original post by C0balt
Specifically which topics would you get rid of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of the statistics ones. Then again, I might be biased because they are my least favourite.
All of the statistics ones. Then again, I might be biased because they are my least favourite.

OMG PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN lol

Yes they are my least favourite as well :colonhash: I disliked probability too... I liked geometry though! Vector was also interesting but it was a bit hard to get my head around at first :biggrin:
ngl I'm really anxious about starting school next week.
A group of 8 students, in a class of 8, all agreed that they would do no work and follow none of my instructions throughout a lesson.

I sympathise here, it reminds me of situations I faced in the early years of my teaching. You do not say what you did, and by the description it appeared to go on throughout the lesson.

I remember a similar situation and my first instinct was to carry on. I tried to remonstrate and find a meeting of minds, but the class were in no mood for that. And so I did, what I thought at the time was going to be really stupid and land me in loads of grief. I informed my HOD that he was getting the entire class reporting to his door- and this class was over 20. When I informed the class that they were all to all leave and go to see my HOD some refused. So I immediately - and did not discuss it with them - sent that bunch to senior management.

After that I waited for the heavens to fall on top of me. I did get a row because I had lost control of the class - but it was a supportive row. As for the class they were taken to the cleaners.

Although both senior management and my head of department said I had to stop things getting to that state again - once the situation got to that state both agreed that what I did was right. The class got the shock of their lives, they had not expected that to happen and when they returned they tended to co-operate and certainly never challenged me again.

The class had openly challenged me and it was either ignore it or stand up to them. And to be honest I was very tempted to ignore it. But in the end I decided to do something that I felt was going to land me in very serious trouble.

My authority was restored and both I and the class soon settled down. They became my favourite class of all time and at the end of that year I asked if I could take them into the next year. I was really sorry when after our second year together they moved on.
Honestly UK schools sound really horrible. I can't believe how rude some of the students are! If any of us had told a teacher to piss off or deliberately not done any work we would have been publicly scolded, or maybe even suspended. And government schools are worse-they have a whole department in charge of discipline. Do u think schools could benefit from more discipline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest