The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daisychain_
Does chemistry have to be at least an A?

Yeah for the Russell Group uni's. But I may be wrong perhaps 1 or 2 will let you in with a B but definitely not the top ones like cardiff bath Nottingham and so on. I'd check each uni's entry requirement though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Yeah for the Russell Group uni's. But I may be wrong perhaps 1 or 2 will let you in with a B but definitely not the top ones like cardiff bath Nottingham and so on. I'd check each uni's entry requirement though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know of people who have got in without an A in chemistry. It doesn't say anything like that on any of their websites either.
I know of people who have got in without an A in chemistry. It doesn't say anything like that on any of their websites either.

Which uni's did they get into? Perhaps they were like one mark off an A? The ones that I've seen specifies that you need an A in Chemistry and either A/B in any other science subjects and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got offers from Cardiff and Bath with ABB predictions with the A being Geography. I achieved those grades and got into Cardiff. I only had a B in Chem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been to the Bath University open day?
Original post by ChloeB43
I got offers from Cardiff and Bath with ABB predictions with the A being Geography. I achieved those grades and got into Cardiff. I only had a B in Chem...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it a high B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Which uni's did they get into? Perhaps they were like one mark off an A? The ones that I've seen specifies that you need an A in Chemistry and either A/B in any other science subjects and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who got offers from Nottingam, KCL and UCL. Chemistry is a requirement but you don't need an A in it.
I know someone who got offers from Nottingam, KCL and UCL. Chemistry is a requirement but you don't need an A in it.

Perhaps there was other things that supported his/her application? Like really good GCSE'S, Nuffield scholarship and stuff? Because if you think about it they want the majority of the course involves organic chemistry and they want to know whether you understand it well enough for the course. I went to the cardiff open day yesterday and I'm sure the admissions tutor said A in Chemistry... but clearly I miss heard.
I emailed bath and Cardiff they said to me they'll accept my BTEC engineering alongside biology and chemistry , so if manage to write up a good personal statement and pass the interview what would they offer me? If ABB would an distinction which is an A count plus if I get two Bs in bio and chem ; what do you guys think?
Original post by Rhyss01
Perhaps there was other things that supported his/her application? Like really good GCSE'S, Nuffield scholarship and stuff? Because if you think about it they want the majority of the course involves organic chemistry and they want to know whether you understand it well enough for the course. I went to the cardiff open day yesterday and I'm sure the admissions tutor said A in Chemistry... but clearly I miss heard.

If they wanted an A in chemistry, that would have been part of their entry requirements. As far as I know, it's only Bradford (?) that want an A in chemistry. I guess the others see a B as enough.

Tbh I haven't looked at Cardiff's requirements properly, but Manchester and KCL don't require chemistry at grade A (its not stated in their entry requirements).
Original post by Rhyss01
Was it a high B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't really remember despite it being only a month or so since results haha. I know I got a solid A in Chem 4 (AQA) which acts as the sort of foundation of pharmacy I guess and the thing that let me down were my empa results. With your final a2 results unis are able to see your modular results so I guess that helped??? I think I was 11 ums off an A, I wouldn't say it was really high. Just above a mid B perhaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone sent their application off yet or written personal statements? :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by Alltimesarah
Has anyone sent their application off yet or written personal statements? :smile:

I've written my personal statement and I'm currently re-drafting it :colondollar:
Reply 153
I want to do Pharmacy and have picked Bio, Chem, History and Sociology at A-Level. Are those choices suitable for Pharmacy?
Original post by AK_47
I want to do Pharmacy and have picked Bio, Chem, History and Sociology at A-Level. Are those choices suitable for Pharmacy?

Yes of course, for pharmacy you need chemistry plus one of either biology, physics or mathematics
Original post by bcooke22
Hi,

Is anyone thinking of applying to QUB? Because they are rated consistently high in pharmacy league tables but nobody ever seems to want to apply to here.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying there! :biggrin: It seems just a really well respected university and in a good location. However, I think the location is what puts people off as there is a sea in between most of the UK and Belfast. You planning on applying?

I'm also applying to Cardiff, UEA, Keele and Reading and hope to get my application off in the next few weeks!
Hi

I'm going to firm QUB and going to apply to Cardiff, Bath, Manchester and East Anglia.

I agree that Belfast is quite a poor location, but it's cheapest for me and to be fair it's a decent city.

Are you going to firm QUB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcooke22
Hi

I'm going to firm QUB and going to apply to Cardiff, Bath, Manchester and East Anglia.

I agree that Belfast is quite a poor location, but it's cheapest for me and to be fair it's a decent city.

Are you going to firm QUB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends entirely on who gives me an offer as I would happily firm any of them! Just I have favourites in UEA and Cardiff...
I live about 10 minutes from an airport so getting there isn't really an issue for me- and it's really cheap to live there! If I get an offer I will have to visit as I've never been there before.

Have you got any work experience for Pharmacy done?
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
It depends entirely on who gives me an offer as I would happily firm any of them! Just I have favourites in UEA and Cardiff...
I live about 10 minutes from an airport so getting there isn't really an issue for me- and it's really cheap to live there! If I get an offer I will have to visit as I've never been there before.

Have you got any work experience for Pharmacy done?

I did a week in a community pharmacy and also attended a Pharmacy Workshop in a hospital. It's not much but it's better than nothing.

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alltimesarah

Yes, I've written my statment and sent it off today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending