The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antvg
How good/bad is broadband speed in rooms? Cloud wifi is not so bad, but with its' constant spikes make it extremely unreliable.

the cloud is meant for visitors
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 4461
Eduroam is 3 times slower than Cloud.
I've read in the Concrete freshers guide that the kitchens in the student accommodation don't have conventional ovens.

Is this true for all of them?

Is the university on commission from pizza takeaways??
Original post by jelly1000
sorry i'll edit my post, you can phone and ask to be moved to another room in a hall with spaces so if you did find someone you could both call.

im currently staying at Mary chapman court and i really want to live in the campus. Do you want to swap rooms?
Reply 4464
I don't know about others, but Crome Court kitchens do have ovens.
Original post by laoangchristal
im currently staying at Mary chapman court and i really want to live in the campus. Do you want to swap rooms?

I'm not living on campus, sorry but I did hear they still had a few of the ensuite rooms available last week so its worth phoning.
Original post by unprinted
I've read in the Concrete freshers guide that the kitchens in the student accommodation don't have conventional ovens.

Is this true for all of them?

Is the university on commission from pizza takeaways??

Most of the halls on campus have a microwave oven which does exactly the same job as a normal oven
I swapped rooms this week, they have a few left :yes:
Most of the halls on campus have a microwave oven which does exactly the same job as a normal oven

Try cooking a pizza or a roast in a microwave. It's totally not 'exactly the same'.
Or a baked potato. Sure it will be cooked, but the skin won't be crispy.

(Yes, I am aware that there are 'microwaveable pizzas' but I would spurn one as I would spurn a rabid dog.)

Do they have grills?
(edited 9 years ago)
Try cooking a pizza or a roast in a microwave. It's totally not 'exactly the same'.

Oh I have and its exactly the same. The microwaves have a separate oven setting for oven cooking.
Original post by Clur.M.
I swapped rooms this week, they have a few left :yes:

really? because when I went to the office yesterday they said no more rooms but my friends said that in their flat their are still rooms
no

Where I went for my first degree, the hall had 2A sockets. (And just happened to sell expensive 2A plugs.)

Even with that, you could have a mini fridge. What's their excuse for saying no to them?
Oh I have and its exactly the same. The microwaves have a separate oven setting for oven cooking.

Ah, so they're "combi" ovens, marketing speak for an ok microwave with a poor conventional oven.
Ah, so they're "combi" ovens, marketing speak for an ok microwave with a poor conventional oven.

Yes except I never found the conventional oven to be that bad
Or a baked potato. Sure it will be cooked, but the skin won't be crispy.

(Yes, I am aware that there are 'microwaveable pizzas' but I would spurn one as I would spurn a rabid dog.)

Do they have grills?

There are grills, the microwave's have an oven function and they cook pizza's etc reasonably well, you just have to make sure you turn them as they seem to overcook on one side. 2 person flats have proper ovens but no microwave and Crome Court has ovens and microwaves.
Where I went for my first degree, the hall had 2A sockets. (And just happened to sell expensive 2A plugs.)

Even with that, you could have a mini fridge. What's their excuse for saying no to them?

On top of the safety thing I'd imagine a big reason is the electric use. Imagine how much extra would be used if everyone had a mini fridge! And just to create a tiny bit of cool storage space. Since they're not a necessary item I guess they decided it was not worth it.

Anyway, most people who like the idea of their own fridge find they really don't need it when they get there.

I think (though I might have drawn this out of thin air) that they allow exceptions for people with medical needs which require them to keep chilled medicine.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question:
I'm an exchange student coming to UEA for Spring Semester 2015 and my boyfriend is hoping to visit me while I'm staying in residence. Is there strict rules about him staying in my room? Do I need to sign him in or something prior to his visit? He would be coming for 1 to 2 weeks approximately. Thanks.
Original post by merecpow
I have a question:
I'm an exchange student coming to UEA for Spring Semester 2015 and my boyfriend is hoping to visit me while I'm staying in residence. Is there strict rules about him staying in my room? Do I need to sign him in or something prior to his visit? He would be coming for 1 to 2 weeks approximately. Thanks.

The rule is that guests can stay infrequently and for only up to 3 nights at once. You also need to ask your resident tutor first.

In practice, it's about being considerate of others in your flat. I used to have my bf stay and could never get hold of the tutor so gave up trying. Obviously 1-2 weeks is a while, and longer than you're meant to have someone. But then, if that is your only visitor, some people have someone once a week which balances out to about the same amount, and LDRs (even temporary) can be tough so hopefully people would understand. The important thing is check that your flatmates are happy for him to visit beforehand, then make sure your boyfriend is not loud or annoying to people, respects people's belongings, doesn't use stuff up or take up to much space etc. Which I'm sure you would anyway!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im in suffolk and lord jesus christ, its hot in here. why cant we open the windows? like properly i mean. there's no way anyone could survive here in the summer

Latest

Trending

Trending