The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mister K
Hi guys and gals what are the chances of interview with a ukcat of 715, sit adj 1. the academics are:

9 GCSE's A* 1 A, AS 4 A's Biol Chem Maths & Hist, A2 predicted A*A*A*.

Appreciate your help and advice

Many thanks

Have a flick through the thread. A few posts above is the list of how it's done at Southampton and from that you'll know your chances :smile:

All comes down to the UKCAT :smile:
Hi, im going to jump in here - im glad you started this thread as ive lots of questions before finalising my choices. Ive already shortlisted unis and sat my ukcat, which unfortunately wasn't amazing, but hey ho.

Im applying as a post grad first of all, and as far as I can tell I meet the criteria (one discrepancy)

GCSEs; 5A, 3B, D sat in 2004
A Levels: AAB in Maths Bio and Chem respectively. No 4th AS (this is the worry)
2.1 (hons) in 2010
MSc Pass with Merit in 2012

I sat my ukcat yesterday and scored 2600 - average 665 and as far as I can tell I could apply to Southampton. Im aware of the no interview procedure (which I realise my PS and ref have to be on point) but im slightly worried about my UKCAT.

The info you have said suggests a cut off is applied after they have all been assessed. In 2010 it was 2370, 2011 It was 2310. On the website it says that all applicants must have at least 2500 in order to be considered further in the application process..... im a little confused. :s
Original post by topgear1987
Hi, im going to jump in here - im glad you started this thread as ive lots of questions before finalising my choices. Ive already shortlisted unis and sat my ukcat, which unfortunately wasn't amazing, but hey ho.

Im applying as a post grad first of all, and as far as I can tell I meet the criteria (one discrepancy)

GCSEs; 5A, 3B, D sat in 2004
A Levels: AAB in Maths Bio and Chem respectively. No 4th AS (this is the worry)
2.1 (hons) in 2010
MSc Pass with Merit in 2012

I sat my ukcat yesterday and scored 2600 - average 665 and as far as I can tell I could apply to Southampton. Im aware of the no interview procedure (which I realise my PS and ref have to be on point) but im slightly worried about my UKCAT.

The info you have said suggests a cut off is applied after they have all been assessed. In 2010 it was 2370, 2011 It was 2310. On the website it says that all applicants must have at least 2500 in order to be considered further in the application process..... im a little confused. :s

Okay, firstly are you applying to the BM4 graduate only course (4 years) or standard medicine which is 5 years (BM5) but applying with a degree?

Secondly, the data you're looking at is for the old application process. As of 2013-14 they will reject anyone who scores less than 2500 and interview people in order of UKCAT score which is why your numbers don't make sense :smile:

The lowest interviewed score will vary depending on the course you're applying for :smile: BM5/BM4
Reply 43
Original post by mister K
Hi guys and gals what are the chances of interview with a ukcat of 715, sit adj 1. the academics are:

9 GCSE's A* 1 A, AS 4 A's Biol Chem Maths & Hist, A2 predicted A*A*A*.

Appreciate your help and advice

Many thanks

Very good chances! Go for it :smile:
Original post by Neostigmine
Okay, firstly are you applying to the BM4 graduate only course (4 years) or standard medicine which is 5 years (BM5) but applying with a degree?

Secondly, the data you're looking at is for the old application process. As of 2013-14 they will reject anyone who scores less than 2500 and interview people in order of UKCAT score which is why your numbers don't make sense :smile:

The lowest interviewed score will vary depending on the course you're applying for :smile: BM5/BM4

Ill be applying to 5 year as the GEM is too competitive at all sites. Basically, for 2014 then the cut of is 2400 and that's all I have to worry about. However, looking at their website I understand then all candidates are ranked, and split into quartiles - with the 4th quartile immediately withdrawn.

Then something about scoring UKCAT and UCAS, and then..... well im not too sure after that really. Do you know anything of the breakdown of scoring at all?
Original post by topgear1987
Ill be applying to 5 year as the GEM is too competitive at all sites. Basically, for 2014 then the cut of is 2400 and that's all I have to worry about. However, looking at their website I understand then all candidates are ranked, and split into quartiles - with the 4th quartile immediately withdrawn.

Then something about scoring UKCAT and UCAS, and then..... well im not too sure after that really. Do you know anything of the breakdown of scoring at all?

First they check UKCAT. The cut off is 2500. Anyone below that will not be interviewed.
Then they check that you meet entry requirements.
They then start interviewing from the highest UKCAT score and work their way down until they've got enough people for offers.

The lowest UKCAT scores interviewed for those starting in 2014 were 2800 (ave 700) for school leavers and 2500 (625) for mature non graduates who are looked at separately.

I'm not sure what category you fit in, though as you cannot possibly be a "mature non grad" then I'd expect you fit into "school leavers".

Not sure if the lowest interviewed score will change this year. It may go up as more people know Southampton are doing it this way and therefore there may be more people with great scores applying. It may go down as the UKCAT was harder this year apparently.

Does that help? Not sure where you got quartiles from... BM5 <- that's the place to start :smile:
Given the drop in ukcat scores, do you think 677.5 will be enough?
And 1400 applicants is really small! Is this normal for Southampton? Do you think the number of applicants will go up this year? If so by how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellipsis...
Given the drop in ukcat scores, do you think 677.5 will be enough?
And 1400 applicants is really small! Is this normal for Southampton? Do you think the number of applicants will go up this year? If so by how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know. More people may apply as the UKCAT useage becomes more widely known. People were put off applying last year as it was a complete gamble. That said UKCAT looks like it may go down on average so maybe. 2800 down to 2710 is a reasonably big jump but it's quite reasonable to think it might do that this year. *shrug*

I would expect applications to go up a little this year.
Reply 48
How have you found Southampton? The campus, the course, accommodation and city as a whole? I'm starting to heavily consider it (the only reason I didn't before was because of distance - I'm from the North, but I think I have a good chance of an interview). Also have you started finding that you need a car during clinical years at all? Sorry for the barrage of questions 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
How have you found Southampton? The campus, the course, accommodation and city as a whole? I'm starting to heavily consider it (the only reason I didn't before was because of distance - I'm from the North, but I think I have a good chance of an interview). Also have you started finding that you need a car during clinical years at all? Sorry for the barrage of questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Love the uni and it's a great city. Lots of do and it's really well connected to London, the Isle of Wight, Bournemouth, we've got the airport/ferries/trains too. Accomodation is fine as there are 2 unis in the city so it's all geared up for students. There is student housing everywhere.

I've not needed a car. It's helpful if you have one but in the first two years taxis are arranged. In the third year everything is really well connected via public transport and you can car share with those who do have a car so it is certainly not necessary. Also clinical years will be the end of 3rd year onwards so it's a while away yet!

For 5th year I think it's going to be very useful to have a car as placement can be a little bit all over the place but again, not everyone does so it's not a necessity!

Not a barrage at all :smile:
I don't know. More people may apply as the UKCAT useage becomes more widely known. People were put off applying last year as it was a complete gamble. That said UKCAT looks like it may go down on average so maybe. 2800 down to 2710 is a reasonably big jump but it's quite reasonable to think it might do that this year. *shrug*

I would expect applications to go up a little this year.

Hi, i asked that very question at the openday.....the cut off for UKCAT will remain at 2800....because its not fair on those people on or around that level thus removing the 'risk' if youve git a UKCAT of 700 or more then go for it! good luck:smile:
Original post by unitopayfor
Hi, i asked that very question at the openday.....the cut off for UKCAT will remain at 2800....because its not fair on those people on or around that level thus removing the 'risk' if youve git a UKCAT of 700 or more then go for it! good luck:smile:

...though its still a risk of course if the other candidates have a much higher score as those left are put in UKCAT order....but with 700+ you would at least be in the pile to be considered rather than in the bin :biggrin:

Hey,

Do you mean the cut off of 2500 that they have for all applications?

I'm not applying. I'm in my 3rd year of BM5. You may have seen me helping at the open day :smile:
Hey,

Do you mean the cut off of 2500 that they have for all applications?

I'm not applying. I'm in my 3rd year of BM5. You may have seen me helping at the open day :smile:

Oops..my mistake! yes, the cutoff was 2500 and will remain at that for 2015 intake..below that hits the bin, then ranked in UKCAT order after checking entry requirement grades, and the lowest they went down to last year was 2800 before making all the offers..so sorry for misleading anyone :colondollar: ( i got 762 and am deff applying..I LOVED Southampton!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Oops..my mistake! yes, the cutoff was 2500 and will remain at that for 2015 intake..below that hits the bin, then ranked in UKCAT order after checking entry requirement grades, and the lowest they went down to last year was 2800 before making all the offers..so sorry for misleading anyone :colondollar:

Yeah you've got it right now :P That's exactly it :yep:

Aha it's all good :P
Reply 55
My stats are : 7A*, 3A and a B for GCSE
currently on a gap year
a level grades: AAAB (Bio, chem, maths and further maths)
UKCAT: 2690

hopeless?
Original post by tybg1234
My stats are : 7A*, 3A and a B for GCSE
currently on a gap year
a level grades: AAAB (Bio, chem, maths and further maths)
UKCAT: 2690

hopeless?

Your grades are all fine. 2690 is a bit low compared to this year's score but that may change. It's a bit of a risk :sadnod:
Reply 57
Anyone thinking of applying to Southampton this year? Currently doing the BM5 course and am about to start my first clinical year so happy to answer any questions.

After bringing in interviews last year, they have finally got some data to show us:

The lowest UKCAT scores for those starting in 2014 were:

2800 (total) for School Leavers (A levels)
2500 (total) for mature non grads who were considered separately.

In total there were 1400+ applications, 457 interviews and 290 offers.

The interview will continue to be decided by UKCAT and will still consist of an individual panel interview based on your personal statement, and a group task.

The entry requirements can be found here

Good luck to those applying!

Are you able to confirm that graduate applicants are treated the same as school-leavers when applying for BM5 course in terms of the UKCAT cut-off. Seems fro..orm TSR that some high graduate UKCAT scorers failed to get interviews last year?
Original post by lawdoxmd
Are you able to confirm that graduate applicants are treated the same as school-leavers when applying for BM5 course in terms of the UKCAT cut-off. Seems fro..orm TSR that some high graduate UKCAT scorers failed to get interviews last year?

I'll ask as I am not sure. We were only give stats on school leavers and mature non grads which is why I assume there are only the 2 categories.
Reply 59
Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending