The Student Room Group

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Khan - Just Another Blog.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by a10
I would take out the ab machine from your workout and replace it with conventional ab training like V-situps. The machine just doesn't train them as well as you would on a mat...

I may just stick at it for a couple more sessions to see if it actually makes a difference. Otherwise I'll move to the mat.

Original post by illusionz
I'd keep progressing until you fail. Squats are never easy. They will always feel hard.

Fail as in not complete full 5 sets? I've already failed if that's the case.
Ah I saw 3x5 and assumed that's what you were aiming for.

Firstly you seem to have jumped from 65 to 70 - why not 67.5? Also you didn't actually attempt the latter sets.
Reply 62
Original post by illusionz
Ah I saw 3x5 and assumed that's what you were aiming for.

Firstly you seem to have jumped from 65 to 70 - why not 67.5? Also you didn't actually attempt the latter sets.

I did work to 70 kg and deloaded a week ago, worked up so thought i'd just go back to 70 from 65. Also, i attempted another set after but form was really crap and didn't want to replace good form just for another set. So you think i should carry on and try 70 kg for a full 5 sets next session? Even if the form is off?
Reply 63
06/09/2014: Workout A

Squat: 60 kg - 5x5 (Paused)
Bench Press: 40 kg - 5x5 (Deloaded)
Barbell Row: 52.5 kg - 5x5 (Perfecting Form)
Shrugs: 90 kg - 3x12
Skull Crushers: EZ + 15 kg - 3x8
Curls: EZ + 20 kg - 3x8

Main news is, I've deloaded on bench because i feel I'm not quite their yet on the form. Will work up again.
On the squats I've lowered the weight. Did paused to help me out the hole. Will increase to 62.5 and do 5x5 paused again next session until i hit 65 which i will then work up normally from. All in all, good.
Reply 64
08/09/2014: Workout B

Squat: 62.5 kg - 5x5 (Paused)
Dead lift: 90 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 40 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 50 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 45 kg - 3x8
Horizontal Ab Machine: 10 kg - 3x8

Good session.
Reply 65
10/09/2014: Workout A

Squat: 62.5 kg - 5x5 (Paused)
Bench Press: 45 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 50 kg - 5x5 (Perfecting Form)
Shrugs: 90 kg - 3x12 (Did this on rack, felt different so will be going back to normal. Lifting from ground.)
Skull Crushers: EZ + 17.5 kg - 3x6

Okay session, recorded a video of squat form. Buttwink is still their. Probably because i squat too low. Will try to break parallel by a couple of inch next time instead of nearly hitting my ass on the floor. :smile:
Buttwink is inflexibility not going too low!

Stretch the hell out of each hamstring for 2 minutes everyday with increasing burn,
Sit on the floor, legs 90 degrees apart, lean towards one leg at a time and try and touch your toes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Angry cucumber
Buttwink is inflexibility not going too low!
Stretch the hell out of each hamstring for 2 minutes everyday with increasing burn,
Sit on the floor, legs 90 degrees apart, lean towards one leg at a time and try and touch your toes.

Thanks a lot!, i will do these everyday as long as it helps my buttwink. Any other exercises you know of that will decrease it? Also, i recorded two videos one full ROM and another one just passing parallel. I noticed major buttwink on the full ROM and hardly visible on the breaking parallel, so thought the deepness of the squat comes into it. Thanks.
Reply 68
Was supposed to go for a gym session today. Not feeling particularly well and it doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. :frown: Sad times. Also, incredibly tired.
Reply 69
15/09/2014: Workout B

Squat: 70 kg - 3x5
60 kg - 2x5 (Paused)
Dead lift: 92.5 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 40 kg - 6x5
Barbell Row: 52.5 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 50 kg - 4x8

Pretty good session today. Squats are still a problem area. Getting a bit fed up with this lift tbh, shouldn't be stalling so early.
Deadlift was pretty good, form seemed good.
Standing press was pretty good, knew it's one of the harder lifts to improve so decided to do another set then increase weight.
Barbell row is good, form looked good but still work in progress.
CGBP was surprisingly good, first 2 sets were done super fast. Decided to do 4 sets because i actually could. Onwards and upwards.
Your close grip bench press is higher than your bench press? That seems kind of... impossible... to me anyway, but I'm a beginner like you.

Also, you must have incredible shoulder strength to be overhead pressing 40kg 6x5 when your bench is barely more than that. I'm just jealous as your press is better than mine :smile:
Reply 71
In

That's a strong standing press for a beginner. Is it strict?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by Forum User
Your close grip bench press is higher than your bench press? That seems kind of... impossible... to me anyway, but I'm a beginner like you.

Also, you must have incredible shoulder strength to be overhead pressing 40kg 6x5 when your bench is barely more than that. I'm just jealous as your press is better than mine :smile:

The reason for the different bench weight is because i deloaded the bench press as my form was off and was struggling with 55 kg so went lower. My CGBP form was decent so i did lower it but not as much, that's why it's higher just a tad then my bench press.

My shoulders are not that strong really compared to a few mates of mine who strict press 60 kg + :smile:. I have no idea why aswell, probably the main thing is form. Still a beginner so need to perfect it before i carry forward bad habits. Hopefully, the progression continues. You just need to work at it, we'll make it together!

Original post by Squirb
In

That's a strong standing press for a beginner. Is it strict?

Welcome, yep it's strict. Thanks!
Reply 73
Also, probably my benching, especially the CGBP is so dire because it comes at the end of the main workout? I'm normally tired when it comes to the accessories.
Reply 74
17/09/2014: Workout A

Squat: 70 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 50 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 60 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 90 kg - 3x8
Skull Crushers: EZ + 20 kg - 3x8

Good workout, as i keep saying, squat needs work but happy with 70 kg.
Bench press is going superbly, felt easy. Tried 60 kg after my sets and was happy i got 1 full rep (all i tried).
Barbell row is good, form is still a working point.
Shrugs, good.
Reply 75
20/09/2014: Workout B

Squat: 75 kg - 2x5
60 kg - 3x5
Dead lift: 80 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 42.5 kg - 2x5
40 kg - 3x5
Barbell Row: 55 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 55 kg - 1x8
50 kg - 2x8

As you can tell by these numbers, today (yesterday) was an awful session. Seem to be lacking in energy over the past few days, i do eat regularly and at a small surplus but just wasn't feeling it in the session. Next time.
Reply 76
19/10/2014: Workout B

Squat: 80 kg - 1x5
70 kg - 2x5
60 kg - 2x5
Dead lift: 60 kg - 1x10
80 kg - 1x5
100 kg - 1x5
130 kg - 1x3
100 kg - 1x7
Standing Press: 40 kg - 4x5
50 kg - 1x3
Barbell Row: 60 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 50 kg - 3x8

Sorry for not updating, was really busy over the last couple of weeks and only went to the gym a couple of times since the last post. Can definitely feel a loss of strength but gradually will get there. Happy with the numbers, especially the deadlift as it's the highest I've ever went. Will update from now on and follow the routine religiously.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 77
Is your standing press ohp?

If it is then wtf you've been barely on this and you're already doing 50kg for 3?? Are you doing a strict press :lolwut: ? How much do u weigh?

I hope youre going beyond parallel on squats as well :tongue:
Reply 78
Original post by a10
Is your standing press ohp?

If it is then wtf you've been barely on this and you're already doing 50kg for 3?? Are you doing a strict press :lolwut: ? How much do u weigh?

I hope youre going beyond parallel on squats as well :tongue:

Yep, standing strict overhead press :smile:.
I weighed myself on Wednesday and if i remember correctly, I'm hovering around 77 kg.
For the squats, I never go just parallel, my squats are really deep and I even got told by a few regulars that i actually go too deep lol.

Also, the 50 kg OH press, it was kinda assissted by a friend of mine. However, i did the same weight on Wednesday and i did get 3 reps alone, that's why i tried it again yesterday but was knackered by the intense dead lifts so only managed 1 unassisted.
Reply 79
Original post by Enginerd.
Yep, standing strict overhead press :smile:.
I weighed myself on Wednesday and if i remember correctly, I'm hovering around 77 kg.
For the squats, I never go just parallel, my squats are really deep and I even got told by a few regulars that i actually go too deep lol.

Also, the 50 kg OH press, it was kinda assissted by a friend of mine. However, i did the same weight on Wednesday and i did get 3 reps alone, that's why i tried it again yesterday but was knackered by the intense dead lifts so only managed 1 unassisted.

Definitely need to see a video of your form then lol either that or you've got sick shoulder genetics. Ohp is such a hard lift and for a beginner you've increased pretty linearly and fast from 35kg to 50kg... I mean even I am only at 40kg-42.5kg for 5x5 yet with dumbells I can use 28kg and get a good two sets with 8 reps. I can only do more than 2 reps with 50kg if im using my bodyweight & not strict pressing.

Quick Reply

Latest