The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Rosser1994
Have you had an email??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, first at about 8:30am and then another to provide the correct link at about 9:30am
Original post by Zorg
Yeah, first at about 8:30am and then another to provide the correct link at about 9:30am

How annoying I didn't get an email..
Reply 222
Original post by ceciafb

Spam folders...? Could just be that the system is taking its time.

Tucked away in the email they did say they were interviewing 310 people for 72 places which means a roughly 4:1 interview to place ratio, though I expect interview to offer ratios to be much closer to 3:1
Original post by Zorg

Tucked away in the email they did say they were interviewing 310 people for 72 places which means a roughly 4:1 interview to place ratio, though I expect interview to offer ratios to be much closer to 3:1

checked my spam..annoying as they told me yesterday its a first come first serve basis and I need as much time between swansea and st george's as poss. and I thought they were interviewing 250..interesting
Original post by ceciafb

I haven't got one yet either. They are likely doing it in batches and as Zorg said with 310 invites to send out that is going to take a little bit of time.
Reply 225
Original post by ceciafb
checked my spam..annoying as they told me yesterday its a first come first serve basis and I need as much time between swansea and st george's as poss. and I thought they were interviewing 250..interesting

I think there were 7 or 8 different dates to choose from. I'd be surprised if they all filled up by the end of the day.
When's the SGUL one? You should be able to choose a date accordingly.

At least you have your SGUL date, I've had to choose this one and just hope it doesn't clash :/
Original post by Zorg
I think there were 7 or 8 different dates to choose from. I'd be surprised if they all filled up by the end of the day.
When's the SGUL one? You should be able to choose a date accordingly.

At least you have your SGUL date, I've had to choose this one and just hope it doesn't clash :/

thats crazy that SGUL haven't given you a date yet, how annoying! probably worth emailing them and saying the date your swansea interview is on? though i'm sure you've done that already
Reply 227
Original post by ceciafb
thats crazy that SGUL haven't given you a date yet, how annoying! probably worth emailing them and saying the date your swansea interview is on? though i'm sure you've done that already

Nah, Micki said a couple of weeks back when GAMSAT came out. So I'll be giving it until Tues/Weds next week before I fire off an email. SGUL are also interviewing 300 students, and I believe they do theirs manually, so it's a fair number to work through.
Original post by Zorg

I think last year they made ~100 offers in the end to fill the 72 places so that confirms your ~3:1 ratio :smile:
I am also awaiting the interview email, did it come through from the same email address as the open day invite? Looking forward to the open day next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 229
Original post by buttoned.up
I think last year they made ~100 offers in the end to fill the 72 places so that confirms your ~3:1 ratio :smile:
I am also awaiting the interview email, did it come through from the same email address as the open day invite? Looking forward to the open day next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No different address, the visit day came from a marketing officer of Swansea and the interview invite comes from the medicine admissions team.

I do wonder if the number of offers will decrease this year. It seems to me offers are made to fill the initial 72 places and then wait listers get the additional offers eventually resulting in ~100 offers. The increased number of applications would suggest people are more inclined to go to Swansea, either due to the lower GAMSAT and perception of easier admission or due to the recent GMC accreditation. Therefore, I'd expect fewer people to reject offers from Swansea and therefore fewer Swansea offers made in total.
This does assume that the number of candidates holding 2 or more offers, one being Swansea, remains the same. Which may not be the case.
Reply 230
No email for me yet either. I suspect sending that many emails takes its toll on the servers. Can you confirm the dates Zorg? I'm hoping I was given the right ones earlier but it would be helpful to double check.
Reply 231
Original post by M150
No email for me yet either. I suspect sending that many emails takes its toll on the servers. Can you confirm the dates Zorg? I'm hoping I was given the right ones earlier but it would be helpful to double check.

14th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 28th, 29th, 30th Jan

Seems to be the Weds, Thurs and Fri of the last three weeks of Jan.

EDIT: There are also about 30 interviewees per day so you should all be ok.
(edited 9 years ago)
FINALLY received the email. very impatient today
Reply 233
Original post by ceciafb
FINALLY received the email. very impatient today

I just got a second email inviting me to interview at Swansea. They keep sending me two lots of things, I wonder if I'll get two offers and I could then sell one to fund my studies/social life!

Did your email also contain the attachments as the one this morning did, but the one I received just now does not.
Original post by Zorg
I just got a second email inviting me to interview at Swansea. They keep sending me two lots of things, I wonder if I'll get two offers and I could then sell one to fund my studies/social life!

Did your email also contain the attachments as the one this morning did, but the one I received just now does not.

attachments ie campus map etc? if so yes it did. Keen that they've invited you twice, maybe they like you so much they're letting you have a test run
Reply 235
Original post by ceciafb
attachments ie campus map etc? if so yes it did. Keen that they've invited you twice, maybe they like you so much they're letting you have a test run

Perhaps!

Attachments re. DBS checklists etc?
Original post by Zorg

I would prefer two invite emails to the 5 rejection emails I got from Warwick two years ago. Got the first on the thursday then proceeded to get one every day including over the weekend until the following monday. They only stopped when I emailed them after the 5th, I was tempted to ask them to reconsider my application due to the emotional trauma haha.

Mine also just came through as well, have to pick a date now so many too choose from!
Reply 237
Original post by TranquilRawr
I would prefer two invite emails to the 5 rejection emails I got from Warwick two years ago. Got the first on the thursday then proceeded to get one every day including over the weekend until the following monday. They only stopped when I emailed them after the 5th, I was tempted to ask them to reconsider my application due to the emotional trauma haha.

Mine also just came through as well, have to pick a date now so many too choose from!

I shouldn't laugh but the absurdity of it did make me chuckle. Did they apologise at least?

I was quite impressed at how accommodating they were with dates.
Original post by Zorg
Perhaps!

Attachments re. DBS checklists etc?

I've had mine now and booked my interview but haven't had a DBS checklist/code of professional practice attached. I assume they will send it through at some point, they must be swamped with queries at the moment! Feels so real now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buttoned.up
I've had mine now and booked my interview but haven't had a DBS checklist/code of professional practice attached. I assume they will send it through at some point, they must be swamped with queries at the moment! Feels so real now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They resent the attatchments

Am I assuming as it's not listed we do not need to fetch in GCSE/ A-level certificates?
Rather than asking guys, don't mention it to them, would be less hassle :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending