The Student Room Group

Is this rejection fair?

So I just recently got a rejection from of my unis and the mention the reason for rejection which was that I didn't have relevant or sufficent life/work experience however on the prospectus and on the website it was never mention that you will need relevant work/life prospectus you just need to show that your interested in the subject
Original post by estheexd
So I just recently got a rejection from of my unis and the mention the reason for rejection which was that I didn't have relevant or sufficent life/work experience however on the prospectus and on the website it was never mention that you will need relevant work/life prospectus you just need to show that your interested in the subject

Which course/uni was this?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which course/uni was this?

Psychology with a foundation year at Goldsmiths
Psychology with a foundation year at Goldsmiths

Do you meet their standard entry requirements for qualifications?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Do you meet their standard entry requirements for qualifications?

They didn't have any formal entry requirements, you just need to show your intrested in psychology
I don't think Uni's are obliged to give you an offer even if you fit their criteria perfectly. They have the final say.

Btw, Psychology at Goldsmith's has an AAB-ABB requirement doesn't it? Surely they have requirements.

It depends on whether the life/work experience was an absolute criterion or whether you were just outcompeted. If it isn't an absolute requirement, then it isn't unfair that they rejected you for it, but it is unfortunate that they didn't say it would be advantageous.

Courses with a foundation year are aimed at people who never acquired the formal qualifications necessary for university. A lot of these people will be older and may have built up substantial experience doing other things that have given them transferable skills.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by coffeecakey
I don't think Uni's are obliged to give you an offer even if you fit their criteria perfectly. They have the final say.

Btw, Psychology at Goldsmith's has an AAB-ABB requirement doesn't it? Surely they have requirements.

'With a foundation year'.
Original post by TurboCretin
'With a foundation year'.

Ah my mistake. Still, foundation years can still look for students with an x amount of grades so I would've thought that they still mattered.
Surely if you had an interest in psychology you would have gained some experience of it through work or work experience.
They didn't have any formal entry requirements, you just need to show your intrested in psychology

It sounds as though they don't think your life/work experience is demonstrating enough of an interest.
Original post by PQ
It sounds as though they don't think your life/work experience is demonstrating enough of an interest.

This is a good point. 'Demonstrating an interest' means more than saying you're interested.
My interpretation of that is that in your personal statement you didn't explain enough of what you do outside of school?

By all means correct me if I'm wrong but it's one thing to have the grades and have an interest, I'm applying to do psychology but in my personal statement I did 40% about why I love psychology and 60% about what I do outside of school and extra curricular. Perhaps you didn't put enough in about extra stuff?

That's my interpretation anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending