The Student Room Group

Sociology: To choose or not to choose

I just finished my IGCSEs and I was wondering if I should choose Sociology for AS and A levels. I did Combined Science so, I think doing A-level Phy, Chem and Bio might be a big jump ahead. I'm thinking of taking Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Eng Lang and Sociology. How does the combination sound??
Original post by fandom-queen
I just finished my IGCSEs and I was wondering if I should choose Sociology for AS and A levels. I did Combined Science so, I think doing A-level Phy, Chem and Bio might be a big jump ahead. I'm thinking of taking Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Eng Lang and Sociology. How does the combination sound??

That is a good combination. Makes sure these are the subjects you like.
I do like them...but, I must admit, my english is not exactly 'top-notch'. I mean, I read A LOT and I'm not talking Secret Seven or Famous Five, but my school only offered English as Second Language in IGCSE and I had no option. Now, I feel as though I'll have great difficulty in writing logical and precise answers (I'm more of the moony, descriptive kind of writer)...........*SIGH* So I might take science as a safer bet, even though I like Humanities more....Any thoughts??
I do sociology, I like it.
Reply 4
I do like them...but, I must admit, my english is not exactly 'top-notch'. I mean, I read A LOT and I'm not talking Secret Seven or Famous Five, but my school only offered English as Second Language in IGCSE and I had no option. Now, I feel as though I'll have great difficulty in writing logical and precise answers (I'm more of the moony, descriptive kind of writer)...........*SIGH* So I might take science as a safer bet, even though I like Humanities more....Any thoughts??

I did sociology at AS but dropped it in second year. Being descriptive as a writer is what you need for sociology. Its mainly memorising case studies and some arguments. The only time I had to do some analysis and use a good essay structure was for a research unit in the exam but its not difficult like how history is. You don't need good English in AS sociology. I know so many people who got A with a C in English GCSE. So definitely consider it.
Original post by YahimTHFC
I did sociology at AS but dropped it in second year. Being descriptive as a writer is what you need for sociology. Its mainly memorising case studies and some arguments. The only time I had to do some analysis and use a good essay structure was for a research unit in the exam but its not difficult like how history is. You don't need good English in AS sociology. I know so many people who got A with a C in English GCSE. So definitely consider it.

Ok, thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you doing sociology in A levels?? Also, I did do Economics for my GCSEs, so, do you think that gives me an edge over other first-timers learning A level economics??
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Ok, thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you doing sociology in A levels?? Also, I did do Economics for my GCSEs, so, do you think that gives me an edge over other first-timers learning A level economics??

Well mainly because I'm not passionate about it. I got a B in AS but I can't do something that doesn't help me develop as a writer or my way of thinking. Personally, Sociology is just too simple which makes it monotonous and I like to do challenging things. Many choose the subject because of the high success rates as generally students want to get a high grade to meet their entry requirements for uni. ...It will certainly help you understand the course faster than others but I'm sure there are students who will get high grades even if they didn't do it before. It depends on what you do now rather than the past and the effort you put in.

Quick Reply

Latest