The Student Room Group

how chavvy is liverpool really?

applying to uni there but abit worried by the constant rumours that it's full of chavs! aha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oioioioioi
Shouldn't put you off the uni, all cities have 'bad areas' Liverpool isn't going to be an exception.
Reply 3
Original post by k4l397
Shouldn't put you off the uni, all cities have 'bad areas' Liverpool isn't going to be an exception.

yeahh i get that i think that's true!- just that seems to be it's main feature to lots of people
I go to Uni of Liverpool. You don't come across many chavs! Particularly on campus :tongue: city centre is very diverse, you're more likely to see a mass range of cultures opposed to chavs.. However they do exist, but of the 'chavs' you do see, the majority are very friendly, decent people. It's just a fashion choice that defines them! :tongue: Liverpool is one of the friendliest cities ive ever been too :-)
Reply 5
Original post by laurennmc
I go to Uni of Liverpool. You don't come across many chavs! Particularly on campus :tongue: city centre is very diverse, you're more likely to see a mass range of cultures opposed to chavs.. However they do exist, but of the 'chavs' you do see, the majority are very friendly, decent people. It's just a fashion choice that defines them! :tongue: Liverpool is one of the friendliest cities ive ever been too :-)

okk thankyou!
Reply 6
Its like every area; you get chavs and you get non-chavs. Liverpool is just stereotyped as being full of chavs due to how it was portrayed on TV in the 80s and 90s. I don't live too far from there and I feel safer at
night in Liverpool City Centre compared to where I live which is meant to be "posher".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by gemmam
Its like every area; you get chavs and you get non-chavs. Liverpool is just stereotyped as being full of chavs due to how it was portrayed on TV in the 80s and 90s. I don't live too far from there and I feel safer at
night in Liverpool City Centre compared to where I live which is meant to be "posher".

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah that's true- i live in London and it's very much a mix- was just worried that i was a chav town ahaha! also because when i went to visit there was like a huge fight outside a pub right in front of me, but other than that iactually really liked it!
Reply 8
Original post by hdaindak
yeah that's true- i live in London and it's very much a mix- was just worried that i was a chav town ahaha! also because when i went to visit there was like a huge fight outside a pub right in front of me, but other than that iactually really liked it!

Fights outside pubs can happen anywhere; I was in Chester (which is generally considered to be posh) the other week and saw one there. As another poster has already said you do get quite a few people in Liverpool who appear chavvy (e.g. drawn on eyebrows, tracksuits etc) but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're chavs; its just how they choose to look. Which uni are you applying too?
Reply 9
Original post by gemmam
Fights outside pubs can happen anywhere; I was in Chester (which is generally considered to be posh) the other week and saw one there. As another poster has already said you do get quite a few people in Liverpool who appear chavvy (e.g. drawn on eyebrows, tracksuits etc) but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're chavs; its just how they choose to look. Which uni are you applying too?

liverpool uni
I'm from Liverpool and feel I can give a non bias and accurate view. In the areas outside Liverpool city centre there are more 'chavs' but there's not that many. The city centre is incredibly diverse and it's a wonderful place to go, you'll have no problems there and I suspect apart from campus that's where you will be most. As for campus, almost everyone comes from outside the city (especially those who are living on campus) and are just as anxious as you about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by JackMoorcroft
I'm from Liverpool and feel I can give a non bias and accurate view. In the areas outside Liverpool city centre there are more 'chavs' but there's not that many. The city centre is incredibly diverse and it's a wonderful place to go, you'll have no problems there and I suspect apart from campus that's where you will be most. As for campus, almost everyone comes from outside the city (especially those who are living on campus) and are just as anxious as you about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thankyou!! is the city centre where the docks are?- bit confused about the layout
Reply 12
okay thankyou!! is the city centre where the docks are?- bit confused about the layout

No but they aren't far from the city centre; Liverpool One is pretty close to the Albert Docks.
applying to uni there but abit worried by the constant rumours that it's full of chavs! aha

How rude it's not chavy at all maybe that's what people from Manchester say..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Liverpool isn't very chavvy, at least in the centre, while there are some more chavvy areas on the outskirts.
Reply 15
Original post by _Charlotte15
How rude it's not chavy at all maybe that's what people from Manchester say..

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's what people from london say
Reply 16
Original post by gemmam
No but they aren't far from the city centre; Liverpool One is pretty close to the Albert Docks.

okk :smile: how would you rate liverpool generally?
Reply 17
Original post by aoxa
Liverpool isn't very chavvy, at least in the centre, while there are some more chavvy areas on the outskirts.

ok thankss :smile:

I've lived in Liverpool for 18 years (all my life) and been to many different cities and non of them compare to Liverpool!! Probably the most friendly and funny city you'll ever visit. There's chav's in every area and Liverpool isn't any exception but honestly 'the chav's' don't bother you unless you bother them . You won't regret coming to Liverpool! I'm just sad I can't stay here for university, I'm moving away unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by JoshTinsley96
I've lived in Liverpool for 18 years (all my life) and been to many different cities and non of them compare to Liverpool!! Probably the most friendly and funny city you'll ever visit. There's chav's in every area and Liverpool isn't any exception but honestly 'the chav's' don't bother you unless you bother them . You won't regret coming to Liverpool! I'm just sad I can't stay here for university, I'm moving away unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds really nice! yeah i did visit it and really liked it but didn't really get to see much of it unfortunately and oh cool where are you going?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending