The Student Room Group

How do you know you chose the right degree/ career?

Just wondering, I'm in my 2nd year biomedical science and now with the focus on finding placements I find myself thinking about my future more than before.

Kinda worried and panicking as I'm 19
and I still have no real concrete plan and just a few ideas.

Additionally it also got me wondering am I in the right degree? I mean how do I know I wouldn't love business management?
Because STEM
Reply 2
[INDENT]You probably won't know until you're a few years into your working life. There's no guarantee that when you're thirty, you'll still want to do what you decided to study at uni aged seventeen. It would be surprising if you did - people grow and change throughout their lives. You really just have to go with the flow. Do what feels right at the time and give it your best shot. You can pretty much expect to change direction - or at least consider it - at some point in your future life.

But you aren't psychic and you can't see into the future. Live your life as it is at the moment, the best way you can. Then even if it turns out to be a path that isn't permanent, you'll know it wasn't wasted time.

If it helps, I didn't decide what I wanted to do with my life until I was 43! I'm now doing it, but it's very precarious and could stop at any minute. I'm determined to enjoy it while I have it and not to spend time worrying about what might or might not happen next. I'll deal with that when it's real :smile:
Original post by Klix88
[INDENT]You probably won't know until you're a few years into your working life. There's no guarantee that when you're thirty, you'll still want to do what you decided to study at uni aged seventeen. It would be surprising if you did - people grow and change throughout their lives. You really just have to go with the flow. Do what feels right at the time and give it your best shot. You can pretty much expect to change direction - or at least consider it - at some point in your future life.

But you aren't psychic and you can't see into the future. Live your life as it is at the moment, the best way you can. Then even if it turns out to be a path that isn't permanent, you'll know it wasn't wasted time.

If it helps, I didn't decide what I wanted to do with my life until I was 43! I'm now doing it, but it's very precarious and could stop at any minute. I'm determined to enjoy it while I have it and not to spend time worrying about what might or might not happen next. I'll deal with that when it's real :smile:

Good advice. Relevant to many people as some stage in their life.
Original post by ViolentMind
Additionally it also got me wondering am I in the right degree? I mean how do I know I wouldn't love business management?

You'll never know what "would" have happened if you did something else, and that's terrifying, but I guess we all have to live with it.

Luckily, a degree is only 3-6 years of your life, which will hopefully be a long one. Go with what feels right right now and who knows where you'll end up.
I think there's too much pressure on us to know what we want to do after university. Just like there is after GCSE's and A Levels.

I'm in my final year right now, and I definitely get the fear of 'is my degree worth it?' , especially when I'm studying history and all of the graduate schemes seem to be business/accounting and finance based.

But stressing about the future when we're so young isn't necessary I don't think. As long as you aim to find graduate schemes and placements, or if not, just a job to help find your feet post uni, then that's a good enough start.

This could be pretty dire advice, I think it's more a case of reassuring myself :tongue:
Don't worry and just do what you feel you should do when the time comes. I had this mindset of worrying of not knowing what to do.. I changed my degree from computer science to economics and then finally stuck with maths.

Even after I graduated. I was in two minds about studying further or taking up a job. So initially I went with the latter and worked as an analyst for rbs. But I simply didn't like it.. The finance environment weren't for me, and I quit.

Most family members thought I was an idiot to leave a good lucrative paying well respected job, but what's the point if you aren't getting satisfaction out of what you're doing. So then I decided to do masters and I completed my MSc in mathematics from kings college. Now I've just started my phD at reading.. All I'm saying is just do what you feel is right for you.

Bearing in mind I don't have any commitments and was able to switch from a job back into education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know I'm doing the right degree because I love the stuff I'm studying and get high grades. I'm thinking about placement now too and I'm genuinely excited about what I could do/what comes after I finish uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I know each month ill get a salary payment which covers all my bills and expenses. What more could you want.
Original post by ViolentMind
Just wondering, I'm in my 2nd year biomedical science and now with the focus on finding placements I find myself thinking about my future more than before.

Kinda worried and panicking as I'm 19
and I still have no real concrete plan and just a few ideas.

You don't always know. I'm 27 and I still don't have a clear plan of what I want to be when I grow up. But it has taken me this long to get to a point where I was sure of the path I wanted to follow. Everyone is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending