The Student Room Group

What to buy a guy, first time going to his place

I'm casually dating someone, I'm going over to his place to cook and watch a film. Might turn a little romantic. What shall I buy him as a gift? I was thinking candles, too much, too weird? What should I buy? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Bottle of wine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its casual dating. No gifts. Borderline too personal in my opinion.

Go to a super market and buy a few of those big bags of crisps like skips ect.. Job done.

Or wine as suggested, anything like that and you will be onto a winner.
Reply 3
Original post by Sam Walters
Its casual dating. No gifts. Borderline too personal in my opinion.

Go to a super market and buy a few of those big bags of crisps like skips ect.. Job done.

Or wine as suggested, anything like that and you will be onto a winner.

Original post by Obiejess
Bottle of wine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We both don't drink. Anything along those lines?
Original post by germanium
We both don't drink. Anything along those lines?

Box of celebrations or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Obiejess
Box of celebrations or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we're both snobs. I might get him Guylian Belgian Chocolates, he did mention that it's his favourite. But I know he's already got a large box for Christmas. Ah, I am buying all the ingredients so maybe no present. Just wanted to give it that special touch.
Did someone just say skips? Come on now :O

I agree with the above, chocolate should do just fine. If you think candles are best then go for it! I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if you are cooking etc :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MaseratiJay
Did someone just say skips? Come on now :O

I agree with the above, chocolate should do just fine. If you think candles are best then go for it! I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if you are cooking etc :smile:

I knoowwwww I didn't want to be rude :colondollar: :rofl:
I know he's moved in and it's all kinda new. But I don't want to make it look like i'm tooooo eager lol. I know he's spent a bit of money on me on our previous dates, so I wanted to make an effort.
May be just bring dessert?
I knoowwwww I didn't want to be rude :colondollar: :rofl:
I know he's moved in and it's all kinda new. But I don't want to make it look like i'm tooooo eager lol. I know he's spent a bit of money on me on our previous dates, so I wanted to make an effort.

I don't even think there is any such thing as 'too eager' unless you went absolutely crazy and started preparing for your wedding or something.

If I was him and you bought chocolates and/or candles I'd be pretty impressed and happy to be honest. On the other hand there are people who would hate it/get offended.

Candles are a nice touch, I think..and the fact that you suggested it, means you thought about it so don't worry about 'too eager' if you feel it would be appreciated then why not? :smile:
Reply 10
I don't even think there is any such thing as 'too eager' unless you went absolutely crazy and started preparing for your wedding or something.

If I was him and you bought chocolates and/or candles I'd be pretty impressed and happy to be honest. On the other hand there are people who would hate it/get offended.

Candles are a nice touch, I think..and the fact that you suggested it, means you thought about it so don't worry about 'too eager' if you feel it would be appreciated then why not? :smile:

Thanks, your advice was helpful. I am really new to the whole dating scene. Think I'll get one of those candles that come with candle holders as I am guessing he wont have that either. If I came with some stuff already cooked/chopped up in containers that wouldn't be weird right? (I love cooking lol, think it's in my blood).
Reply 11
Original post by thegodofgod
May be just bring dessert?

I'm cooking a 3 course meal (we're both massive foodies).
Starter: Some kind of soup, maybe butternut/tomato/carrot and coriander
Main: Chicken and mozarella pasta
Dessert: Croissants cooked as french toast/some kind of cheesecake
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks, your advice was helpful. I am really new to the whole dating scene. Think I'll get one of those candles that come with candle holders as I am guessing he wont have that either. If I came with some stuff already cooked/chopped up in containers that wouldn't be weird right? (I love cooking lol, think it's in my blood).

That's alright! :smile:

Not at all, you're cooking anyway so bringing food in containers is not weird, it's just called being organised and thoughtful!

Don't let anything stress you out and don't over think just relax and take the evening as it comes!

:biggrin:
I'm cooking a 3 course meal (we're both massive foodies).
Starter: Some kind of soup, maybe butternut/tomato/carrot and coriander
Main: Chicken and mozarella pasta
Dessert: Croissants cooked as french toast/some kind of cheesecake

I honestly wish I were your 'guy', having read that menu! :cool:

May be buy him a nice recipe book, if he likes cooking / trying new things?
Reply 14
That's alright! :smile:

Not at all, you're cooking anyway so bringing food in containers is not weird, it's just called being organised and thoughtful!

Don't let anything stress you out and don't over think just relax and take the evening as it comes!

:biggrin:

Aw you're so nice :smile: thanks. I will try not to. I'll keep you posted.
Aw you're so nice :smile: thanks. I will try not to. I'll keep you posted.

No worries ! :smile: Just quote me or something as I don't tend to watch threads. Just try not to burn his house down. That would be a definite mood killer and I doubt you'd be seeing anymore of him then XD
Reply 16
Original post by thegodofgod
I honestly wish I were your 'guy', having read that menu! :cool:

May be buy him a nice recipe book, if he likes cooking / trying new things?

:smile: yay, I wanted to keep the menu easy.

Perfect!!!
Why can't you be my girlfriend :colonhash:
:smile: yay, I wanted to keep the menu easy.

Perfect!!!

Best of luck for your date, take it easy and remember protection! :wink:
Reply 19
No worries ! :smile: Just quote me or something as I don't tend to watch threads. Just try not to burn his house down. That would be a definite mood killer and I doubt you'd be seeing anymore of him then XD

I'll do that :tongue: if I forget, give me a nudge. And I should do that, I am such a clutz. I'm so excited, I cant sleep lol. (Not really because of the date, more the cooking side of it! haha, feel like going to Sainsburys and buying the ingredients now :rofl: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending