The Student Room Group

Boyfriends going to Afghanistan :(

Hi,

I met a guy in summer who is in the army and these last few months have been absolutely amazing. We get on so well and I love spending time with him. He makes me so happy!

However, in a few months time he is going to Afghanistan for 5 months and I am really scared of what that's going to do to our relationship. What if 5 months away from me makes me realise he doesn't like me? And of course what if he dies :frown:.

I know I have about three months till he goes away but for the next few months he is on a course so we will only be seeing each orher every other weekend if that so that may make me
"Get used to" not seeing him.

But I am really scared and worried.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Weren't British troops evacuated from Afghanistan? :confused:
Reply 2
Yes but troops are still being sent out there to assist with training etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Enoxial
Weren't British troops evacuated from Afghanistan? :confused:

interesting development

Spoiler

Join the Military Wives (choir group)
I thought the army pulled out of Afghanistan.
What did you first find attractive about him also how long into the relationship did you sleep with him.
Reply 7
Original post by Guy Secretan
What did you first find attractive about him also how long into the relationship did you sleep with him.

I liked how he looked and his sense of humour.
I thought the army pulled out of Afghanistan.

hes not going to shag it
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

However, in a few months time he is going to Afghanistan for 5 months and I am really scared of what that's going to do to our relationship. What if 5 months away from me makes me realise he doesn't like me?

Hm. So he's off to Afghan, where there are going to be relatively few women around, and he will be stuffed into a tent or a sangar with his idiot mates 24/7, and will not be getting much in the way of female company.

Do you not see how this is so unlikely to lead to him going off you?

When we eventually go to war on the planet of the nymphomaniacs, then I could see how deployment might lead to him not wanting you anymore - but until then, I think you're relatively safe.

It is far, far more likely that the person left behind in UK gets fed up of waiting and moves on.
Didn't end all combat operations in Afghanistan also if he got his legs blown off would you leave him.
Original post by Clip
Hm. So he's off to Afghan, where there are going to be relatively few women around, and he will be stuffed into a tent or a sangar with his idiot mates 24/7, and will not be getting much in the way of female company.

Do you not see how this is so unlikely to lead to him going off you?

When we eventually go to war on the planet of the nymphomaniacs, then I could see how deployment might lead to him not wanting you anymore - but until then, I think you're relatively safe.

It is far, far more likely that the person left behind in UK gets fed up of waiting and moves on.

Thank you so much for your response. It really made me feel better.
Didn't end all combat operations in Afghanistan also if he got his legs blown off would you leave him.

I've already written about how troops are still going. Why are you being so mean. Of course I wouldn't leave him, I love him.
Well he will be relatively safer I presume also as other people have said it's more likely for you to stray than him.

:rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your response. It really made me feel better.

Very poor move to leave your girlfriend before or during tour. Without being crude, it means that when you come back on leave, or at the end of tour, you'll be gagging and have to chance it trying to find someone in a hurry or find a prostitute really quickly.
Original post by Clip
Very poor move to leave your girlfriend before or during tour. Without being crude, it means that when you come back on leave, or at the end of tour, you'll be gagging and have to chance it trying to find someone in a hurry or find a prostitute really quickly.

Haha! My issue is that he has a lot of friends who are girls who will write to him etc so it's pretty easy for him to find another girl to sleep with too.
Discuss your feelings with him. It may seem like a long time but you will be able to contact him when he is away so make the most of that until he comes back. Also make the most of the time you have with him before he goes. Afghanistan is not the same place it used to be. Easier to say than do but try not to worry too much, he'll be back before you know it
Original post by converselove
Discuss your feelings with him. It may seem like a long time but you will be able to contact him when he is away so make the most of that until he comes back. Also make the most of the time you have with him before he goes. Afghanistan is not the same place it used to be. Easier to say than do but try not to worry too much, he'll be back before you know it

Thanks :smile:. I'm not too sure when to discuss it with him as I don't want his last memories for 4 months me being upset and angry!
Reply 19
What is he doing there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending