The Student Room Group

After how long does dating become a relationship?

I've been out with a guy for a few weeks now, been on maybe 5 dates.
We're both taking things slowly, just kissing, a little touching etc nothing further. I'm going over to his place next week to watch a film, but I don't want to get too intimate if we aren't in a relationship. How long after dating does it turn into a relationship? I've only ever been with one other guy and we were friends first. This situation was a blind date.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You both hope it's going to continue, is key. I think that doing the deed can be a leap of faith on that journey. Follow your instincts..
He will try and have sex or at least get very intimate. I think going to his place is a good idea to bring up the the relationship convo

You obviously want to go out with him so make that clear and firm when you see him
I was seeing/dating my boyfriend for 5 weeks for he asked me to be his girlfriend. I only stayed round his once before we were bf/gf and he didnt try and push anything. If you don't want to be intimate if you're not in a relationship, just watch a film and leave it at that.
If he really likes you, he won't try and pressure you into anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by bittr n swt
He will try and have sex or at least get very intimate. I think going to his place is a good idea to bring up the the relationship convo

You obviously want to go out with him so make that clear and firm when you see him

Original post by Zarek
You both hope it's going to continue, is key. I think that doing the deed can be a leap of faith on that journey. Follow your instincts..

I'm a virgin and intend to keep it (I've told him this and he seems to respect it), I was with my ex for several years on and off and I didn't lose it with him. How do I bring up the relationship convo or is it too soon?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a virgin and intend to keep it (I've told him this and he seems to respect it), I was with my ex for several years on and off and I didn't lose it with him. How do I bring up the relationship convo or is it too soon?

I don't think it's too soon. If you feel like your relationship could potentially progress then tell him because he might see it as a 'fling' and you might want something more so it's better to express your intention otherwise you guys won't be on the same page. Perhaps just slide it in on a date, something along the lines of 'so I've been thinking about us and I want to know where you thing we stand so we're both on the same page'. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

So, I think this can be a bit off tense discussion early days. If he treats you with enthusiasm and affection it is a good sign and you could raise it. Holding back on sex is a test too, mind you several years seems quite a challenge and maybe you're missing out on some opportunities to develop a relationship.
Don't stop yourself from doing anything you really want to just because it isn't 'official'.
Reply 8
Original post by noshahmad
I don't think it's too soon. If you feel like your relationship could potentially progress then tell him because he might see it as a 'fling' and you might want something more so it's better to express your intention otherwise you guys won't be on the same page. Perhaps just slide it in on a date, something along the lines of 'so I've been thinking about us and I want to know where you thing we stand so we're both on the same page'. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had this convo maybe a week ago, I just said it bluntly and he appreciated it "I just want to know what you're thinking, I don't want to waste my time if we're not on the same level. I know I said I wanted things to go slowly, but I don't want to waste my time either.". He said he likes me and fancies me. Because initially I said I wanted to take things slowly. I don't want to have the convo again, in case he thinks I'm desperate. :redface: He did tell me he was worried I was on the rebound as I was with my previous for over 7 years, but I don't think I am. :argh:

I only unfortunately didn't get the chance to tell my bf , as my lovely best friend got drunk and told him in front of everyone at pre-drinks. He's really understanding about it and has never tried to pressure me.
It's a hard convo to bring up, i know from experience. It mainly got bought up by randoms on nights out that would ask if we were bf/gf which made it really awkward when we were just seeing each other. We eventually had the convo after his friend asked him why he hadn't asked me yet, in front of me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarek
So, I think this can be a bit off tense discussion early days. If he treats you with enthusiasm and affection it is a good sign and you could raise it. Holding back on sex is a test too, mind you several years seems quite a challenge and maybe you're missing out on some opportunities to develop a relationship.

Shall I just not mention anything? Or shall I just cancel the house date all together :redface:

Original post by Dr Pesto
Don't stop yourself from doing anything you really want to just because it isn't 'official'.

I don't mind kissing him, but when you're secluded from the world with just one other person, it will be difficult. We both have quite high sexual libidos. :colondollar: But I know in principle, I would only want to kiss and maybe a bit of touching, but nothing further.
Original post by Sophi12
I only unfortunately didn't get the chance to tell my bf , as my lovely best friend got drunk and told him in front of everyone at pre-drinks. He's really understanding about it and has never tried to pressure me.
It's a hard convo to bring up, i know from experience. It mainly got bought up by randoms on nights out that would ask if we were bf/gf which made it really awkward when we were just seeing each other. We eventually had the convo after his friend asked him why he hadn't asked me yet, in front of me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

See that sounds so easy! And he's had two "serious-ish" relationships, one for 6 months and another for 11months (which dragged on cos it was long distance). So I don't even know if he will ask me "officially" to be my boyfriend. He did say he wants a relationship when we first got set up.
Reply 12
Shall I just not mention anything? Or shall I just cancel the house date all together :redface:

I don't mind kissing him, but when you're secluded from the world with just one other person, it will be difficult. We both have quite high sexual libidos. :colondollar: But I know in principle, I would only want to kiss and maybe a bit of touching, but nothing further.

Go for it. Bring a bottle of wine too.
See that sounds so easy! And he's had two "serious-ish" relationships, one for 6 months and another for 11months (which dragged on cos it was long distance). So I don't even know if he will ask me "officially" to be my boyfriend. He did say he wants a relationship when we first got set up.

Believe me, it made it awkward as hell, as i was just stood there listening to his friend say it !!
He might do, but may just be waiting to make sure that he wants a relationship. If his break up was recent, that may be why he is taking it slow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarek
Go for it. Bring a bottle of wine too.

We both dont drink, this shiz isn't going to be easy
Original post by Sophi12
Believe me, it made it awkward as hell, as i was just stood there listening to his friend say it !!
He might do, but may just be waiting to make sure that he wants a relationship. If his break up was recent, that may be why he is taking it slow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol true, must have been awkward! But it was a nudge in the right direction :tongue:
I asked him to take it slowly. Ah, I'll just see how this places out. If it doesn't work out, nothing lost I guess. :smile:
We had this convo maybe a week ago, I just said it bluntly and he appreciated it "I just want to know what you're thinking, I don't want to waste my time if we're not on the same level. I know I said I wanted things to go slowly, but I don't want to waste my time either.". He said he likes me and fancies me. Because initially I said I wanted to take things slowly. I don't want to have the convo again, in case he thinks I'm desperate. :redface: He did tell me he was worried I was on the rebound as I was with my previous for over 7 years, but I don't think I am. :argh:

I think you should just take things as they go. You don't have to make things official but it seems you guys are exclusive to one other and like each other so it should lead further. When the time comes he'll ask you to be his girlfriend, maybe he might bring up the topic himself and then you can tell him how you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 dates wouldn't be enough for me, you barely know someone then. I wouldn't obsess over official or not either, just do whatever feels right.
Original post by joker12345
5 dates wouldn't be enough for me, you barely know someone then. I wouldn't obsess over official or not either, just do whatever feels right.

He just texted me:

"Come join us. My aunt and co are over. I'll come pick you up and introduce you to the family".

So confused.
He just texted me:

"Come join us. My aunt and co are over. I'll come pick you up and introduce you to the family".

So confused.

I can understand why you're confused. I guess he must see the two of you as something serious otherwise he wouldn't introduce you, however, theres also the issue of how to introduce you " hi everyone this is ..., the girl i've been on 5 dates with" or whether he'll say " hi everyone this is ..., my girlfriend" which is awkward if he hasnt ask you to be his gf before :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending