The Student Room Group

Optometry advice

Hey I wanna study optometry starting in 2016. I study maths biology geography and history with a plan to drop history next year. Now I know that all the unis say you need 2 subjects out of maths bio Chem or physics which I have but I'm worried I might be at a disadvantage as I don't have 3 science subjects.

I really want to study this at uni and I have a job at my local opticians. I also have done bronze dofe and have volunteered at a local charity shop. I also work every week with disabled children. In the future I'm going to try and get more experience in the optometry field and working with people.

What are my chances like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
I also want to be an optician and im pretty sure its any 2 out of the 3 sciences and maths so you wiuld be fine. Don't worry about the 3 sciences thing. Its just a bigger range of subjects for them to accept students from since it will cover a range of all.
Where are you thinking of applying too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by frances98
I also want to be an optician and im pretty sure its any 2 out of the 3 sciences and maths so you wiuld be fine. Don't worry about the 3 sciences thing. Its just a bigger range of subjects for them to accept students from since it will cover a range of all.
Where are you thinking of applying too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thanks for the reply! What are you studying? And I'm thinking about Aston, East Anglia, Hertfordshire, city, then maybe Manchester or Cardiff. I guess it's not a big deal as long as I get the grades :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im studying maths chemistry history biology general studies and EPQ. Im thinking of applying to manchester city cardiff plymouth and herts. I like the sound of herts because it includes the pre reg year but its the only one out of my choices that needs a B in english lang when I got a C so a bit risky! But it won't be till 2016 anyway so I have time to think

Posted from TSR Mobile
But I also love the look of Anglia and Cambridge itself. Argh so undecided

Edit - its not east anglia its anglia ruskin
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fay17
Hey thanks for the reply! What are you studying? And I'm thinking about Aston, East Anglia, Hertfordshire, city, then maybe Manchester or Cardiff. I guess it's not a big deal as long as I get the grades :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, glad to hear you're considering studying with us. If you have any questions about Aston or Birmingham in general i would be happy to answer them for you as an Aston graduate and a local Brummy of 23 years.

Josh :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by frances98
Im studying maths chemistry history biology general studies and EPQ. Im thinking of applying to manchester city cardiff plymouth and herts. I like the sound of herts because it includes the pre reg year but its the only one out of my choices that needs a B in english lang when I got a C so a bit risky! But it won't be till 2016 anyway so I have time to think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh cool :biggrin: what subject are you dropping next year? I'm gonna drop history :smile: Yeahh Ikr after Herts your basically qualified to go out and work straight away which is always good :biggrin: ahhhh Hmm maybe you could resit your eng Lang but tbh I don't think it should be too much of a big deal! What work experience are you doing/ planning to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Aston University
Hi there, glad to hear you're considering studying with us. If you have any questions about Aston or Birmingham in general i would be happy to answer them for you as an Aston graduate and a local Brummy of 23 years.

Josh :smile:

Hi Thankyou for replying. Do you think I'm at a disadvantage for only doing the minimum requirements a levels wise? Eg it says 2 sciences and I do 2 but will I be at a disadvantage to people who do 3 or 4 sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fay17
Hi Thankyou for replying. Do you think I'm at a disadvantage for only doing the minimum requirements a levels wise? Eg it says 2 sciences and I do 2 but will I be at a disadvantage to people who do 3 or 4 sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grades will always supersede which subjects were selected, a AAA student with only two sciences will always be more likely to be offered a place than a BBC student with three sciences. Unfortunately entry requirements are always in a state of flux and change year to year depending on the number of applications, firm selections, caps on student numbers, course funding, number of employed lecturers ect. This will be the case for all universities. The best course of action is to keep your head down and work for the best grades possible. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest