The Student Room Group

24 yr old likes 17 yr old

i work with a girl who is 17 and have been friends for sometime. we have been talking and shes said she really likes me and wants more to happen, she acts mature and hangs around with my friend group of 20-26.i feel the same but am held back because of the age gap. another thing to mention is she will be 18 in a couple of weeks so there is a 6 year age gap. Ive never really been attracted to younger girls before but me and this girl have been talking alot and im growing closer to her.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this,

Scroll to see replies

Once she's 18 there no problem :smile:
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Once she's 18 there no problem :smile:

What difference does it make when she turns 18?

Does she turn into a mature all knowing woman who is suddenly capable of understanding and dealing with intimacy and relationships? I doubt she will change much in the next two weeks before her 18th birthday and the age of consent is 16 in this country.

Legally there is no issue.

If this is a moral question then it depends on; the individual girl, your moralistic principles, her principles etc etc. In this case plenty couples would be happy and for others it would end in tears (the same as with couples of the same age).

The main questions I would ask myself are the following...

Is there a significant social/cultural matruation difference?

Are you/she ready for any psychological tensions that being with someone of a different age may throw up? For example jealousy if she mixes with boys her own age and vice versa?

Do you both have similar visions of what you would want out of the relationship? For example if one person wants a quick shag and one person is seeking a long term relationship then there may be issues.

If you ask yourself those questions and feel there is a future in pursuing the relationship then go for it. The age is of absolutely no consequence, however the resultant issues I have highlighted that could arise would be for some couples.
My boyfriend is 23 whereas I'm 17. Age is a non issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reason and Logic
What difference does it make when she turns 18?

Does she turn into a mature all knowing woman who is suddenly capable of understanding and dealing with intimacy and relationships? I doubt she will change much in the next two weeks before her 18th birthday and the age of consent is 16 in this country.

Legally there is no issue.

If this is a moral question then it depends on; the individual girl, your moralistic principles, her principles etc etc. In this case plenty couples would be happy and for others it would end in tears (the same as with couples of the same age).

The main questions I would ask myself are the following...

Is there a significant social/cultural matruation difference?

Are you/she ready for any psychological tensions that being with someone of a different age may throw up? For example jealousy if she mixes with boys her own age and vice versa?

Do you both have similar visions of what you would want out of the relationship? For example if one person wants a quick shag and one person is seeking a long term relationship then there may be issues.

If you ask yourself those questions and feel there is a future in pursuing the relationship then go for it. The age is of absolutely no consequence, however the resultant issues I have highlighted that could arise would be for some couples.

Nope just means her parents can't have a say.

Ps there's a 14year age diff between me and my partner
Nope just means her parents can't have a say.

Ps there's a 14year age diff between me and my partner

The parents have no say unless they were getting married, I dont think the OP was considering proposing to her though.

Anyone over the age of 16 can enter into a relationship with anyone else over the age of 16, hence the age of consent in the UK is 16. Unless the person is legally considered as a child as a result of learning difficulties etc.
I was 17 he was 24. We met, started dating, fell in love, got engaged.....

Now I'm 31, he's 38. We'll have been married for 10 years in April, and have 4 lovely children together.

There's 7 years and 12 days between us in age.
The parents have no say unless they were getting married, I dont think the OP was considering proposing to her though.

Anyone over the age of 16 can enter into a relationship with anyone else over the age of 16, hence the age of consent in the UK is 16. Unless the person is legally considered as a child as a result of learning difficulties etc.

OfCourse she can enter a relationship but as she still a minor in every other sense, get parents can make her life v difficult if they want to. Post 18, they can't, or atleast she doesn't have to care
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I was 17 he was 24. We met, started dating, fell in love, got engaged.....

Now I'm 31, he's 38. We'll have been married for 10 years in April, and have 4 lovely children together.

There's 7 years and 12 days between us in age.

Thats amazing! :h:
Original post by Princess31
Thats amazing! :h:

haha ahh not really, just your average tale of guy meets girl and they lived happily ever after sort of thing :smile:
If you'd sacrifice something you desire in order to conform with society then you are very weak.

Take what you desire!
OfCourse she can enter a relationship but as she still a minor in every other sense, get parents can make her life v difficult if they want to. Post 18, they can't, or atleast she doesn't have to care

OfCourse she can enter a relationship but as she still a minor in every other sense

Over the age of 16 in the UK means she is not a minor.
She can go to jail, legally have children, legally have sex, legally live on her own, legally work, leave education or go to university etc etc etc.

parents can make her life v difficult if they want to. Post 18, they can't

In what ways can her parents 'make life difficult' that they could not do when she turns 18 in 2 weeks?

or atleast she doesn't have to care

She doesnt have to care any more just now than she would have to in 2 weeks time when she is 18.
She can go to jail, legally have children, legally have sex, legally live on her own, legally work, leave education or go to university etc etc etc.

In what ways can her parents 'make life difficult' that they could not do when she turns 18 in 2 weeks?

She doesnt have to care any more just now than she would have to in 2 weeks time when she is 18.

She's not a legal adult at 16.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
haha ahh not really, just your average tale of guy meets girl and they lived happily ever after sort of thing :smile:

Some people dont get that haha
Youre lucky :h:

You clearly know nothing about UK law.
Any person under the age of 18 is considered a minor in the UK.
At the age of 16 someone can legally have sex with someone aged 16-17. However if someone over the age of 18 were to engage in sex with someone who is 16-17 it is considered a sex offence under the child protection laws of the UK as the 16/17 year old is still considered a minor.
She's not a legal adult at 16.

She is. She cannot consume alcohol or take out certain loans. She can do everything else I mentioned and can be sent to prison (is classed as responsible for her actions).

I notice you have completely ignored every other point that was written.
She is. She cannot consume alcohol or take out certain loans. She can do everything else I mentioned and can be sent to prison (is classed as responsible for her actions).

Under uk law she is not a legal adult. I didn't respond as I'm at work and can't be bothered as you Clearly havevery little understanding of UK law
(edited 9 years ago)
Reminds me of a certain someone on here and his relationship
Original post by l'insegnante
You clearly know nothing about UK law.
Any person under the age of 18 is considered a minor in the UK.
At the age of 16 someone can legally have sex with someone aged 16-17. However if someone over the age of 18 were to engage in sex with someone who is 16-17 it is considered a sex offence under the child protection laws of the UK as the 16/17 year old is still considered a minor.

Umm I was married at 16 to someone over ten years older. I live in the UK.

A 10 year old can be sent to prison because they are responsible for their actions albeit a child detention centre, but still equivalent to prison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending