The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TVIO
Jeez someone got a 4A* offer? Helluva lot of pressure. I thought my offer of 3 and STEP was bad enough!

Tbh 3A* + STEP is probably harder!
Reply 681
Original post by qwepoizxcmnb
Tbh 3A* + STEP is probably harder!

Not sure really. STEP is definitely a matter of you can do it or you can't, there's not really any 'content' as such to cover. I know I *could* get 4A* but it'd take a lot of work/time to do it and a small slip up could cost me it.
Original post by mathsmusician
Did you put further maths AS in your pending qualifications on UCAS? By the way S3 is harder than m1/m2 imo.

Urmmm can't remember and UCAS isn't letting me log on! Sorry.
Yeah I had a look at M2 it looks a lot better... Which modules have you done?
I got an offer from St Catharine's to study Maths (although I applied for Emmanuel, I got pooled)

Conditions:
A* Further Maths
A Chemistry
Grade 1 in STEP II and III

(I already have an A* in A-Level Maths)

These STEP papers will be the death of me!
Original post by TVIO
Not sure really. STEP is definitely a matter of you can do it or you can't, there's not really any 'content' as such to cover. I know I *could* get 4A* but it'd take a lot of work/time to do it and a small slip up could cost me it.

Surely it still takes time to be able to reliably get a 1 in STEP though? I get what you mean though, never going to get A* in chemistry after how badly I screwed up the coursework :P
Original post by TheCommander
College: Magdalene
Course: Medicine
Conditions: A*A*A*A

Meeting my offer is going to be a tall order...! Hard work lies ahead, but I'm weirdly looking forward to it haha.

Were you in the winter pool and if so did you have an interview? Thrown in the winter pool and heard nothing yet. I appreciate your response
Original post by aprocrastinator
I can actually post here wtf

Course: Medicine
College: Downing (direct offer?!)
Conditions: A*A*A

Were you in the winter pool and if so did you have an interview? Thrown in the winter pool and heard nothing yet. I appreciate your response
Original post by Chazatthekeys
I got an offer from St Catharine's to study Maths (although I applied for Emmanuel, I got pooled)

Conditions:
A* Further Maths
A Chemistry
Grade 1 in STEP II and III

(I already have an A* in A-Level Maths)

These STEP papers will be the death of me!

Well done! Have you tried any STEP papers yet?
Well done! Have you tried any STEP papers yet?

Thank you! :biggrin:

Yes I have, I was planning on doing an extra AS in maths, but I might not so I can focus on STEP!

I've been doing some papers, or should I say 'badly attempting' at the moment lol! They're becoming easier, but still nothing compared to A-Level papers!

It was good that I completed A-Level maths in year 12 so now I can do STEP II papers fully, and obviously parts of STEP III as we're going through further maths!

Did you get an offer? And are you doing maths/STEP?
Thank you! :biggrin:

Yes I have, I was planning on doing an extra AS in maths, but I might not so I can focus on STEP!

I've been doing some papers, or should I say 'badly attempting' at the moment lol! They're becoming easier, but still nothing compared to A-Level papers!

It was good that I completed A-Level maths in year 12 so now I can do STEP II papers fully, and obviously parts of STEP III as we're going through further maths!

Did you get an offer? And are you doing maths/STEP?

Yes, I got an offer for Maths, 1,1 in STEP II and III. STEP has got easier for me as well but still not sure about STEP III :s

It's definitely going to be a lot of work for all of us! I did A-level Maths early too, but I'm still missing a lot of knowledge from Further Maths, so some of STEP III seems like it's written in a foreign language or something.

I think I'm going to start visiting the TSR STEP thread now, to start practising more.

Also how do you write so fast :tongue:
Reply 690
Surely it still takes time to be able to reliably get a 1 in STEP though? I get what you mean though, never going to get A* in chemistry after how badly I screwed up the coursework :P

Yeah it does, but the year's worth of stuff you do in class etc. is much more work than it would take to get a 1 in STEP. I'd probably prefer a 4A* offer if it didn't have STEP as I know I can do it reliably, but if I do succeed at STEP then it will have taken me less work to do it.
Yes, I got an offer for Maths, 1,1 in STEP II and III. STEP has got easier for me as well but still not sure about STEP III :s

It's definitely going to be a lot of work for all of us! I did A-level Maths early too, but I'm still missing a lot of knowledge from Further Maths, so some of STEP III seems like it's written in a foreign language or something.

I think I'm going to start visiting the TSR STEP thread now, to start practising more.

Also how do you write so fast :tongue:

Yeah I remember looking at STEP papers at the beginning of 6th form. I'm lucky that moving into a different school for 6th form (my school didn't have one) that my maths teacher went to Cambridge, so he's a genius and knows all my questions lol.

Ahaha! How much of Further have you done?! We've done FP1, FP2 apart from Maclaurin/Taylor, FP3 apart from Matrices/Vectors aha and also M2, 1/3 of M3 and 1/4 of D1 lol.

I know for certain I won't put any hope in the Stats/Mechanics questions - I'm so bad lol!

I need to do more, I slacked over the Christmas break! Going on holiday was bad, because I couldn't get back in the swing of things the 2nd week lol!

I don't know how lol, I just saw your message straight away and I replied! lol
Yeah I remember looking at STEP papers at the beginning of 6th form. I'm lucky that moving into a different school for 6th form (my school didn't have one) that my maths teacher went to Cambridge, so he's a genius and knows all my questions lol.

Ahaha! How much of Further have you done?! We've done FP1, FP2 apart from Maclaurin/Taylor, FP3 apart from Matrices/Vectors aha and also M2, 1/3 of M3 and 1/4 of D1 lol.

I know for certain I won't put any hope in the Stats/Mechanics questions - I'm so bad lol!

I need to do more, I slacked over the Christmas break! Going on holiday was bad, because I couldn't get back in the swing of things the 2nd week lol!

I don't know how lol, I just saw your message straight away and I replied! lol

Really? One of my maths teachers went to Cambridge as well lol! His teaching is hilarious (in a good way)!

I've done FP1, parts of FP2 (got hyperbolics, maclaurin, polar coordinates and calculus to go) and some of FP3 (group theory). Also done up to M2 and S2. Do you reckon its worth having a go at the applied STEP questions at least, as it gives you more choice? You're doing up to M3 so you should have most of the knowledge you need?

What other subjects are you doing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Goods
14/18 phys NatSci at robinson have 4A*'s... Harder but hardly impossible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would love to see a link for those stats if you have one Goods. I was looking at these earlier in table 3.2 and if you read the conditions they include General Studies and Critical Thinking which weren't considered when I applied http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2013.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Really? One of my maths teachers went to Cambridge as well lol! His teaching is hilarious (in a good way)!

I've done FP1, parts of FP2 (got hyperbolics, maclaurin, polar coordinates and calculus to go) and some of FP3 (group theory). Also done up to M2 and S2. Do you reckon its worth having a go at the applied STEP questions at least, as it gives you more choice? You're doing up to M3 so you should have most of the knowledge you need?

What other subjects are you doing?

Oh wow that's weird! aha my teacher is nutty!

Ah right! You've the reverse of FP2/FP3 to me then lol

I did C1-4,M1 and S1/2 last year and I'm probably going to do S3 also!

I know, but I'm more confident with the pure/core stuff, and apparently you only need 4 complete questions for a 1 anyway!

I'm also doing Chemistry! That's fun... I just want to do Maths only now, I'm getting bored with it - I need to find some motivation!

You? And what college did you get the offer from? :smile:
Oh wow that's weird! aha my teacher is nutty!

Ah right! You've the reverse of FP2/FP3 to me then lol

I did C1-4,M1 and S1/2 last year and I'm probably going to do S3 also!

I know, but I'm more confident with the pure/core stuff, and apparently you only need 4 complete questions for a 1 anyway!

I'm also doing Chemistry! That's fun... I just want to do Maths only now, I'm getting bored with it - I need to find some motivation!

You? And what college did you get the offer from? :smile:

I'm doing Physics, Chemistry, Computing as well. Chemistry is weird for me, I started off enjoying it but then the long coursework just drained my enthusiasm completely. Now I just find myself half asleep in loads of the lessons! I'm just getting overloaded with coursework from all of the subjects now!

Actually, my offer is from Emmanuel. I've read around TSR and there seems to be a lot of us who applied there, was probably really competitive this year!

St Catz is a really nice college as well. Have you visited it before?
Original post by aersh8
Do you guys know whether we'll get another letter or something with forms or explanations of what documents we need to provide?

There's a strange condition on my offer that I need to provide evidence of having sufficient funds for the course. I thought this only for non-EU students and I'd actually like to apply for the bursary, anybody know what this is about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine said the same thing. It spoke about Student Finance though, so I assume it's just a matter of doing it through that? Although tbh I have abso no idea how Student Finance works :s.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Mine said the same thing. It spoke about Student Finance though, so I assume it's just a matter of doing it through that? Although tbh I have abso no idea how Student Finance works :s.

I sent them an email asking for clarification :smile: they haven't replied yet though

Student finance only opens sometime in February afaik

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing Physics, Chemistry, Computing as well. Chemistry is weird for me, I started off enjoying it but then the long coursework just drained my enthusiasm completely. Now I just find myself half asleep in loads of the lessons! I'm just getting overloaded with coursework from all of the subjects now!

Actually, my offer is from Emmanuel. I've read around TSR and there seems to be a lot of us who applied there, was probably really competitive this year!

St Catz is a really nice college as well. Have you visited it before?

Ah cool! I did computing for AS, that was alright I suppose lol! I got a C, and I thought they'd decline me because of that !

We haven't done our coursework yet! Well actually we did one right at the beginning, making benzoate salt or something but none others yet! We're rushing through it and I'm not taking it in aha

So you're doing 5? Maths and further also? :redface:

OH MY GOD, now I feel dumb lol. Especially when C1 was my only non-100 paper LOL

Ah cool! It was, lots of people applied compared with last year! Like +20. My 2nd interview with Crawley and Sousi went so bad (if you had them aha).

Is it? No I haven't been to see it before, I didn't go inside of Emmanuel either - only when interviews came! I wasn't particularly fussed where I went anyway!

What's your insurance? :smile:
Reply 699
if we've been pooled and fished, can we ask our original college for feedback regarding the interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending