The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ankabout
I don't know what Ashari is. :confused: Please explain.

I was wondering the same thing. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mary562
Agree
I don't know but you could choose for now

We should continue the journey of learning more about the prophet pbuh.
So today's topic should be:
Sifaat Al-nabii. The characteristics of the prophet pbuh.
Reply 862
Original post by gen. AIDEED
so you're sunni and they are sunni but you just don't dance around thats the difference?

there's a lot of differences between us they're Muslims as well i don't have anything against them lol.
Original post by ko111
??

im just saying its a massive confusion, im just gonna concentrate on praying 5 times
Salaam sisters and brothers :biggrin:
i was just wondering, what's the main difference between Sunni's and Sufi's?
Original post by Ankabout
I don't know what Ashari is. :confused: Please explain.

Ashariyyah is a school of theology/aqeedah which most of the ummah have traditionally (and still do) adhere to. An example between the differences is that, the Asharis would say Allah's hands are metaphorical and that He doesn't have a physical body, while the Salafis would say that it is literal and Allah does have hands.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Salaam sisters and brothers :biggrin:
i was just wondering, what's the main difference between Sunni's and Sufi's?

walaykumsalaam
these guys don't know, sufi is more mystical side of Islam, this was what i read on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism
Reply 867
im just saying its a massive confusion,

it kind of is but at the end of the day you choose what you think is right for you no will force you, each one of us will be judged according to our own actions.. learn more about the different school of thought in Islam.. there's hanafi, shaf'i, maliki, hanbali.. link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanafi

im just gonna concentrate on praying 5 times

that's a great start!
Original post by Al-farhan
We should continue the journey of learning more about the prophet pbuh.
So today's topic should be:
Sifaat Al-nabii. The characteristics of the prophet pbuh.

We can start it after the salaf talk dies :tongue:
Original post by ko111
it kind of is but at the end of the day you choose what you think is right for you no will force you, each one of us will be judged according to our own actions.. learn more about the different school of thought in Islam.. there's hanafi, shaf'i, maliki, hanbali.. link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanafi

that's a great start!

wait what? theres sufi, salafi, sunni, hanafi, shaf'i, maliki, hanbali?
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Ashariyyah is a school of theology/aqeedah which most of the ummah have traditionally (and still do) adhere to. An example between the differences is that, the Asharis would say Allah's hands are metaphorical and that He doesn't have a physical body, while the Salafis would say that it is literal and Allah does have hands.

Oh ok thanks for the info.
Reply 871
wait what? theres sufi, salafi, sunni, hanafi, shaf'i, maliki, hanbali?

bold=4 main Sunni school of thought.
im just saying its a massive confusion, im just gonna concentrate on praying 5 times

That is the best option.
جاء رجل إلى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فإذا هو يسأله عن الإسلام فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم خمس صلوات في اليوم والليلة فقال هل علي غيرها قال لا إلا أن تطوع فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وصيام شهر رمضان قال هل علي غيره قال لا إلا أن تطوع قال وذكر له رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم الزكاة قال هل علي غيرها قال لا إلا أن تطوع فأدبر الرجل وهو يقول والله لا أزيد على هذا ولا أنقص قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أفلح إن صدق
A man once came to the prophet pbuh, and asked him about islam.
So the prophet told him about islam, and told of the obligatory 5 daily prayers. The man asked ''is there any other obligatory prayer'' the prophet said to him ''no, unless you pray voluntarily''. Then the prophet told him of fasting. The man then asked ''is there any other obligatory fasting'' the prophet said to him ''no, unless you fast voluntarily'. The prophet then told him about zakaat, and the man asked ''is there any other obligatory zakat'' the prophet said to him ''no, unless you give in charity voluntarily'
The man then walked away saying '' by Allah I will do no more than what is obligatory on me'' And the prophet said ''he will attain salvation if he is truthful''

thats wrong? you are saying Allah is like humans?
walaykumsalaam
these guys don't know, sufi is more mystical side of Islam, this was what i read on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

I don't understand what is meant by "mystical", like spiritual?

I was wondering how it differs from Sunni's? :redface:
Characteristics of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) are same as those of an ideal Muslim... not limited to:
1. He is truthful.
2. He does not cheat, deceive or stab in the back
3. He is tolerant and forgiving
4. He has a sense of humour
5. He does not falsely accuse anyone of Fisq (sin) or Kufr (infidelity)
6. He is wise and eloquent in his da'awah
7. He is not a hypocrite
8. He visits the sick
9. He mixes with people and puts up with their insults
10. He tries to make people happy

The ideal Muslim by learned scholar Dr. Muhammad Ali Hashimi
Source: http://www.thetrueknowledge.org/the-ideal-muslim-and-his-community
I didn't say that. That's what the Salafis say.

I think it's more accurate to say that Salafis are literalists? I don't think any Muslim believes that Allah is like humans.
Original post by I Procrastinate
I don't understand what is meant by "mystical", like spiritual?

I was wondering how it differs from Sunni's? :redface:

Found something just now, i think these are the main sufi beliefs that differ from sunni's? will need someone to confirm

Sufi's believe the Holy Prophet peace be upon him, is a human being but created from light like angels, rather than from clay like other human beings.

He is present in many places at the same time.

He is still witnessing all that goes on in the world.

He has knowledge of that which is unknown, including the future.

He has God's authority to do whatever he desires.

I think other sunni's oppose these beliefs?
Original post by ko111
bold=4 main Sunni school of thought.

sorry i understand got confused, thanks
Some of the characteristics of our beloved prophet pbuh :

Truthfulness - A'ishah said:

"The trait and characteristic which the Prophet (pbuh) hated most was lying. A man would tell a lie in the presence of the Prophet (pbuh) and he would hold it against him, until he knew that he repented." (Tirmidthi #1973)

Good Morals, Ethics and Companionship

The Prophet (pbuh) was a living example for all humans to follow. His wife A’ishah was asked about his manners, and she said,

"His manners were the Qur’an."

In this statement, A’ishah meant that the Prophet (pbuh) abided by its laws and commands and abstained from its prohibitions, and observed the virtuous deeds mentioned in it. The Prophet (pbuh) said:

"God has sent me to perfect good manners and to do good deeds." (Bukhari & Ahmed)

Anas b. Malik served the Prophet (pbuh) for ten years; He was with him day in and day out, both when the Prophet (pbuh) travelled and when he was a resident in Madeenah. He was knowledgeable of the Prophet’s manners. He said:

"The Prophet (pbuh) did not swear at anyone, nor was he rude, nor did he curse anyone. If he desired to reprimand someone, he would say: ‘What is wrong with him, may dust be cast in his face!" (Bukhari #5684)

Good Appearance

The companions knew the Prophet (pbuh) to be the most beautiful of people. One companion said:

"The Prophet (pbuh) was a person of average height. His shoulders were wide. His hair reached his earlobes. Once I saw him adorned in a red garment; I never saw anything more beautiful than him." (Bukhari #2358)

Source: http://www.messengerofgod.info/prophet-muhammad-characteristics.htm#4

(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending