The Student Room Group

Should 16 year olds have the right to vote?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by L i b
If you were my daughter, then there is no way I'd ever consider letting you marry at 17.

Wouldn't really have a choice though...
Reply 41
Original post by sdotd
No, most would not know how the economy works and therefore may not vote for the things

Most do not know how the economy works at any age.

I'd go as far as to say, nobody knows how the economy works.
Original post by Quady
What things of more significance than marriage and children can you do at 18?

"I have, what I was getting at is that all these things you list are either decisions of no real importance or significance, or that they are things that likewise you shouldn't be able to do at 16."

Don't misrepresent what I said. Marriage is important, but just like voting I don't think it's something you should be doing at 16.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Quady
Yes, and actually that was my point. Being a taxpayer is somewhat irrelevant.
Original post by Quady
Also how about the significant proportion of income tax paying 16 year olds?

Make your mind up, or are you just trolling?
Reply 44
Original post by Simes
Make your mind up, or are you just trolling?

A significant proportion, I doubt its even a majority, I was just saying they aren't non-tax payers.

The two statements/arguements aren't mutually exclusive.
Reply 45
Original post by limetang
"I have, what I was getting at is that all these things you list are either decisions of no real importance or significance, or that they are things that likewise you shouldn't be able to do at 16."

Don't misrepresent what I said. Marriage is important, but just like voting I don't think it's something you should be doing at 16.

So when should the age of consent be?
Reply 46
Original post by Quady
Wouldn't really have a choice though...

Well, ultimately, yes - a child can elope somewhere else to get married. Again from a personal stance, they'd be out of the family if they did something like that.
Reply 47
Original post by L i b
Well, ultimately, yes - a child can elope somewhere else to get married. Again from a personal stance, they'd be out of the family if they did something like that.

Or they could just do it in their local community.

Fairy muff. Since they'd then have their own family that might not be a huge loss though.
Original post by Quady
So when should the age of consent be?

Older, I'd say around 18.

The problem with 16 year olds is that no 16 year old thinks he or she is immature or unwise, from my own experience at 16 I did think that 16 year olds should have the vote ... looking back on it now I most certainly would not have considered my 16 year old self to be mature enough for that (or for a great many of the legal rights that I actually had at that age).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
If Ed Miliband genuinely thought that 16 year olds were mature enough to vote then surely he would also want to lower the drinking, smoking and tattoo age to 16 as well?

If he thinks that 16 year olds should be able to make adult decisions that affect 65 million people then surely they should be able to make adult decisions that only affect them?

Ed Miliband doesn't actually care about youths he just wants to use them for votes.
He probably thinks that it should be 18 as well as Cameron if he's being neutral, but he's just playing party politics.
Original post by WKUK
If Ed Miliband genuinely thought that 16 year olds were mature enough to vote then surely he would also want to lower the drinking, smoking and tattoo age to 16 as well?

If he thinks that 16 year olds should be able to make adult decisions that affect 65 million people then surely they should be able to make adult decisions that only affect them?

Ed Miliband doesn't actually care about youths he just wants to use them for votes.
He probably thinks that it should be 18 as well as Cameron if he's being neutral, but he's just playing party politics.

16 year olds are more likely to vote labour, it doesn't matter to him whether or not that's a sensible age for voting.
No. I wouldn't even trust the typical 26 year old to be well-informed enough to cast a vote.
Reply 52
In contrast to others, I don't really care what the minimum wage is for other legal matters as I feel that shouldn't have any bearing on the legal age for political voting.

In my opinion, whilst some 16 year olds are mature enough, I don't believe they have had the life experience yet to make informed decisions with their vote.
Reply 53
Original post by djpailo
In contrast to others, I don't really care what the minimum wage is for other legal matters as I feel that shouldn't have any bearing on the legal age for political voting.

In my opinion, whilst some 16 year olds are mature enough, I don't believe they have had the life experience yet to make informed decisions with their vote.

So perhaps there should be a suitability test to allow people the vote?
Reply 54
Original post by limetang
16 year olds are more likely to vote labour, it doesn't matter to him whether or not that's a sensible age for voting.

Are they?

Or is that a similarly lazy assumption as that by the SNP who thought they'd be more likely to vote Yes (but didn't)?
Reply 55
Original post by Quady
So perhaps there should be a suitability test to allow people the vote?
Such as the need to pass some sort of exam?
Reply 56
A big fat resounding NO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Simes
Such as the need to pass some sort of exam?

Yes. Or interview or a combination like an assessment center for a job.
Imo yes the future is theirs. Not some old pensioner that now votes for the party that gives him the most money.

On the other hand, far too many dumb kids out there.

Tough choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by SarcasticMel
Imo yes the future is theirs. Not some old pensioner that now votes for the party that gives him the most money.
Should pensioners be allowed to vote, once they are too old to work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending