The Student Room Group

Far right in UK 'weakest for 20 years'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
That is probably just a ripple effect from Yewtree. While shocking, calling it a fringe issue would be generous. It has no bearing on any of the actual important, systemic issues around underfunding of public services which rightly or wrongly (clue: wrongly) are at the core of the immigration debate.

It was rather central to white working class voters in some of the areas where the bnp was advancing during the 2000s, but otoh I don't remember anyone ever hearing anyone worrying about the costs on public services before the banks crashed the economy.
Original post by Arkasia
Equally there is a fall in far-left parties. Why? Because the democratic state of the UK is awful. Every party has become more centralized, with the Conservatives showing Labour tendencies, and Labour showing Conservative tendencies. Everything has become homogenized, and as a result the fringes are being eradicated.

Surely that opens the door for fringe parties to enter on the left and right. That is what we have seen - closing in on the tipping point of an trend building since the post-war consensus died, and well before that in Scotland. I disagree totally with your conclusion that the fringes are being eradicated.

In the medium term, Labour and the Lib Dems have gone right much more than the Tories have gone left. Thus UKIP on the right are far more extreme right than the Greens and SNP are on the left, who can occupy a huge space ranging from quasi-communists to post-war consensus.

When the Lib Dems used to attract sandal-wearing lefties the Greens particularly were more fringe, talking much more about their niche environmentalism. Since they went into coalition Labour have responded by moving left slightly (though hardly "Red Ed", lol), closing in on the traditional centre ground.
Original post by Joinedup
It was rather central to white working class voters in some of the areas where the bnp was advancing during the 2000s, but otoh I don't remember anyone ever hearing anyone worrying about the costs on public services before the banks crashed the economy.

Good point, I suppose I am too middle-class to notice that. Though while I'm sure it did build during the 2000s, didn't the BNP's support spike in 2009? I would have thought it was linked in at least some way to the banking crash (and expenses scandal, which people seem to forget about now), if only for lack of any other uncompromising party of protest (the Lib Dems being pretty wishy-washy). And by 2009 the cuts/Labour spent all the money rhetoric was in full swing.

I'd agree with this. While i think that the skin colour problem is largely a non-issue (that is to say that whatever we did to get the 'blacks' accepted after the war worked), i do think that there is a large amount of Islamophobia bubbling away beneath the surface north of the home counties. I suspect that if Ukip had taken the line after Paris that it was Islam's fault or proposed closing the door to Muslims then while there may be plenty of shocked Londonders crying about it, he'd probably get a good cheer in the north where Islamic populations are higher and this type of problem is more common place. I suspect an investigation into Bradford would made Rotherham look tame.
Reply 44
If you're going to engage in armchair politics in any sort of serious way you have to acknowledge the two-dimensional spectrum. Of course it's hardly the height of psephological sophistication but it explains a lot and it's easy to understand.

Just because the BNP aren't a popular party doesn't mean their policies aren't drawn from the same cultural traditions and human tendencies which created all the other political parties/movements. They have to be analysed the same way to understand them, piss and vinegar won't cut it.

From your anger you seem to think this amounts to the other poster defending the BNP. This is simply not the case. You don't have to be extreme right economically in order to be evil.

(But it helps, right Kippers? :wink:)

I'm not angry. And secondly, you don't need to engage in politics to such an extreme depth to formulate an opinion. Nor do I want to. Do you engage in thermodynamics in how your fridge works to make a decision on what fridge to buy from your local store? I mean, that is effectively what the logic is here. No one cares where they lie in the spectrum (in terms of what he was describing). Its entirely irrelevant to average joe. What people care about is the issues that affect them (for right or wrong) and that doesn't entail needing to know about where the BNP party lie on the political spectrum (based on whether they are authoritarian or whatever he was harping on about).

I'll bring another analogy here. So MP's represent the people. They are voted in. Does that mean the electorate have to understand every facet of every bill that is being voted on before they can make a decision or who to vote for? Do you really think MP's read every facet of the bills they vote on that come from the House of Lords? No, they don't. They read a summary. Now from your viewpoint, the classification of the party might appear a simple thing that people should know, I've not necessarily disagreed with your viewpoint, but I suggested to him that if anyone is to be blamed for misinformation, blame must lie with journalists and not the general public. You cannot expect the electorate to be that engaged with politics in the same way that you can't expect an MP to understand every facet of legislation he or she is voting on.

Now my final point was down to opinion. Will I waste time analysing where the BNP lie? Do I really care? No. I don't. Does that make me an idiot? No, it doesn't. Does it make someone else an idiot. No, it doesn't. Does it make me angry or defensive to point that out to someone, again, no it doesn't. My point is its better for the electorate to actually focus on more important issues at hand as most sensible people know what the BNP are about, why would they waste any more energy discussing them. We're not talking about people who actively study politics or history etc who may have reasons to do so, just the general electorate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Britain has not turned to fascism in the past, and will not in the future (unless the Islamists get their way).
Original post by djpailo
I'm not angry. And secondly, you don't need to engage in politics to such an extreme depth to formulate an opinion. Nor do I want to. Do you engage in thermodynamics in how your fridge works to make a decision on what fridge to buy from your local store? I mean, that is effectively what the logic is here. No one cares where they lie in the spectrum (in terms of what he was describing). Its entirely irrelevant to average joe. What people care about is the issues that affect them (for right or wrong) and that doesn't entail needing to know about where the BNP party lie on the political spectrum (based on whether they are authoritarian or whatever he was harping on about).

It's orders and orders and orders of magnitude less complicated than thermodynamics, it's a model with two dimensions to it. It's no more complicated than looking into your fridge's energy consumption and storage capacity.

I'll bring another analogy here. So MP's represent the people. They are voted in. Does that mean the electorate have to understand every facet of every bill that is being voted on before they can make a decision or who to vote for? Do you really think MP's read every facet of the bills they vote on that come from the House of Lords? No, they don't. They read a summary. Now from your viewpoint, the classification of the party might appear a simple thing that people should know, I've not necessarily disagreed with your viewpoint, but I suggested to him that if anyone is to be blamed for misinformation, blame must lie with journalists and not the general public. You cannot expect the electorate to be that engaged with politics in the same way that you can't expect an MP to understand every facet of legislation he or she is voting on.

Again, no, it's nowhere near as complicated as understanding all aspects of legislation. In fact, ironically, it gives you a good idea of where every party is coming from so you don't have to undertake a deep analysis of every piece of legislation.

Now my final point was down to opinion. Will I waste time analysing where the BNP lie? Do I really care? No. I don't. Does that make me an idiot? No, it doesn't. Does it make someone else an idiot. No, it doesn't. Does it make me angry or defensive to point that out to someone, again, no it doesn't. My point is its better for the electorate to actually focus on more important issues at hand as most sensible people know what the BNP are about, why would they waste any more energy discussing them. We're not talking about people who actively study politics or history etc who may have reasons to do so, just the general electorate.

You did point it out with anger, you bit the person's head off. The difference between the BNP and UKIP is important, just throwing around terms like "far-right" conflates the two together when a fair amount of their policies and electorates are very different.

We're not really trying to canvass the public here, are we, we're trying to discuss the underlying philosophies. Simply put, the issue of defining the far right is implicit in the OP: it's the question of how the far right (by a certain definition) can be "at its weakest for 20 years" when UKIP are so popular. The whole thread is predicated around problems with the definition of "far-right", which the political compass model elegantly solves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I'd agree with this. While i think that the skin colour problem is largely a non-issue (that is to say that whatever we did to get the 'blacks' accepted after the war worked), i do think that there is a large amount of Islamophobia bubbling away beneath the surface north of the home counties. I suspect that if Ukip had taken the line after Paris that it was Islam's fault or proposed closing the door to Muslims then while there may be plenty of shocked Londonders crying about it, he'd probably get a good cheer in the north where Islamic populations are higher and this type of problem is more common place. I suspect an investigation into Bradford would made Rotherham look tame.

Remember this? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/may/20/channel4.broadcasting1
Channel 4 has pulled a documentary about Bradford social workers dealing with child abuse from its schedule tonight after local police warned the programme could inflame racial tension in the city.

The network, which normally takes great pride in its reputation for stirring up controversy, has made the self-censorship move "as a responsible broadcaster" and because of "exceptional circumstance", a Channel 4 spokeswoman said.

Channel 4's documentary, Edge of the City, focuses on a wide range of cases handled by Bradford social services, including child abuse involving Asian men targeting young white girls, which was of particular concern to West Yorkshire police.

May 2004.

then nothing seemed to happen til about 2011/12 ish
Remember this? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/may/20/channel4.broadcasting1

May 2004.

then nothing seemed to happen til about 2011/12 ish

Shocking.
Reply 49
It's orders and orders and orders of magnitude less complicated than thermodynamics, it's a model with two dimensions to it. It's no more complicated than looking into your fridge's energy consumption and storage capacity.

Again, no, it's nowhere near as complicated as understanding all aspects of legislation. In fact, ironically, it gives you a good idea of where every party is coming from so you don't have to undertake a deep analysis of every piece of legislation.

You did point it out with anger, you bit the person's head off. The difference between the BNP and UKIP is important, just throwing around terms like "far-right" conflates the two together when a fair amount of their policies and electorates are very different.

We're not really trying to canvass the public here, are we, we're trying to discuss the underlying philosophies. Simply put, the issue of defining the far right is implicit in the OP: it's the question of how the far right (by a certain definition) can be "at its weakest for 20 years" when UKIP are so popular. The whole thread is predicated around problems with the definition of "far-right", which the political compass model elegantly solves.

I'd say the political compass is atop a magnet right now.

But let me address your points:

Top Paragraph:
Yes, but I could also argue that there are only a handful laws of thermodynamics. My point is that (and I stated this earlier), why should the general public be called idiots for not knowing a model. Rather, in my mind, it should be the people who write about these parties incorrectly.

Middle paragraph:
Or you could understand their legislation and make a better informed decision. And, even if people knew about the model is it wise to suggest people make decisions based on where parties are formed on it as opposed to reading the general manifesto's?

Last two paragraphs:
Yeah, talking about ideologies is fine and discussing it in that situation I can understand that etc etc. But I reiterate, the average joe doesn't need to know that something is authoritarian to make an informed decision.

Why can't someone make an informed decision based on simply reading the party policies (amongst keeping up with daily news, what candidates are saying etc). Just because someone doesn't know the complete placement on some two model of where they lie doesn't make them idiots. Why I called him out on it is because if it did make them (all) idiots, it would suggest that the majority of voters aren't capable of making informed decisions and that is simply absurd to say the least.

You said you're not trying to canvass the public here. Yes, I understand that. But when he called all people idiots, that is pretty much what he was doing which is why I called him out on it.

General point:
Please note there is also a difference between speaking your mind and being angry. I concede I may be outspoken, but I haven't been angry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by djpailo
I'd say the political compass is atop a magnet right now.

But let me address your points:

Top Paragraph:
Yes, but I could also argue that there are only a handful laws of thermodynamics. My point is that (and I stated this earlier), why should the general public be called idiots for not knowing a model. Rather, in my mind, it should be the people who write about these parties incorrectly.

Middle paragraph:
Or you could understand their legislation and make a better informed decision. And, even if people knew about the model is it wise to suggest people make decisions based on where parties are formed on it as opposed to reading the general manifesto's?

Last two paragraphs:
Yeah, talking about ideologies is fine and discussing it in that situation I can understand that etc etc. But I reiterate, the average joe doesn't need to know that something is authoritarian to make an informed decision.

Why can't someone make an informed decision based on simply reading the party policies (amongst keeping up with daily news, what candidates are saying etc). Just because someone doesn't know the complete placement on some two model of where they lie doesn't make them idiots. Why I called him out on it is because if it did make them (all) idiots, it would suggest that the majority of voters aren't capable of making informed decisions and that is simply absurd to say the least.

You said you're not trying to canvass the public here. Yes, I understand that. But when he called all people idiots, that is pretty much what he was doing which is why I called him out on it.

General point:
Please note there is also a difference between speaking your mind and being angry. I concede I may be outspoken, but I haven't been angry.

At the risk of prolonging this discussion needlessly, manifestos aren't actually that great. Look at the tuition fees and the no top down reorganisation. You can't just read them in isolation and make a narrow analyticcal decision. You need to understand the general medium or long term stance of the parties too.
From what I've observed, the number of people with 'far right' views has not decreased, if anything it has increased in a poor economic climate and people turn to extremes.

What's changed is that the far right is not dominated by one or two large factions. Until recently the BNP and EDL had a near monopoly in the far right (arguably the EDL were not a political organisation but that's another matter) but both of these organisations have fragmented. Some of their former sympathisers have gone to UKIP and appear to have less extreme views whereas the worry for me is that the extreme splinter groups from the BNP, such as the British Democratic Party. Previously the BNP seemed to silence their more extreme members but now that influence no longer exists. No one party exerts control over the far right so we see groups acting independently whose members aren't really answerable to anyone (except the police if they do anything illegal).

On the plus side, because there is no one large far right party I expect to see the squabbling and infighting that (I think) destroyed the BNP to continue. If they're not united with each other they can't really do too much political damage to anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending