The Student Room Group

Feeling embarrassed to be seen in public with someone

Does anyone else feel like this? Part of me feels guilty for admitting it, but at the end of the day it can reflect badly on you. For example, if I at least try on my appearance, I shouldn't be brought down by someone else. I'm not a superficial person, but this can affect whether or not I want to spend time with someone. This is anon because the person I'm referring to is on tsr. This goes for friends and family members. Also, how can you delicately approach the situation, and give someone advice on how to better their appearance without them feeling as though they are under attack, especially when the person is already on the defensive?
I think you're a superficial person!
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol be careful you could ravage someone with insecurities with that attitude. 'I'm sorry but I don't feel you're good enough to be seen next to me in public-what will my friends say?' :rofl:

seriously be careful that could ruin someone's self esteem

what makes them soooo embarrassing to be seen with in public?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MinionMogul
Lol be careful you could ravage someone with insecurities with that attitude. 'I'm sorry but I don't feel you're good enough to be seen next to me in public-what will my friends say?' :rofl:

seriously be careful that could ruin someone's self esteem

what makes them soooo embarrassing to be seen with in public?

It's for the person's own benefit, more than mine really. They are already self-conscious about appearance, but do nothing to remedy the situation. When you draw negative attention to yourself via your appearance, and then moan that any advice is criticism, and that people are looking at you, you come across as a professional victim.
Original post by Anonymous
It's for the person's own benefit, more than mine really. They are already self-conscious about appearance, but do nothing to remedy the situation. When you draw negative attention to yourself via your appearance, and then moan that any advice is criticism, and that people are looking at you, you come across as a professional victim.

well there's a difference between being self-conscious you feel that you're a 5/10 with an 8/9/10 friend, and self-conscious because you haven't showered in 5 days and forgot to zip your jeans up, which one is it?
Reply 5
In the past I felt that way pretty often. Now days - very rarely. I don't understand why anyone should be judged, because of the people they hang around with.
Why are you ashamed to be seen with them? Generally I don't care how someone is dressed or if they aren't wearing makeup/their hair is tied back or whatever. If they were unwashed or smelled etc then I'd be a bit turned off by being out with them. But I would let them know, in a sensitive manner of course.
Reply 7
You are weak; they have power over you who can attach such labels. Take what is yours; fear not to do what you want.
Nobody's gonna judge because you spend time with a supposedly ugly person, if anything it will make you appear even more attractive next to them. :cool: But really I feel sorry for your "friend" for hanging out with such a judgmental person, you sound like you watched too much Gossip Girl (assuming you're female)
Reply 9
Original post by Precious Illusions
Why are you ashamed to be seen with them? Generally I don't care how someone is dressed or if they aren't wearing makeup/their hair is tied back or whatever. If they were unwashed or smelled etc then I'd be a bit turned off by being out with them. But I would let them know, in a sensitive manner of course.

I felt bad for them, because I care about the person. Also, doesn't wash as often as they should, so can smell a little too. It's just that we're all given an appearance, but it's a serious shame when people don't make the most of it, or do things to themselves that actively hinder their outward appearance and the way they come across. Worse of all, when they complain about not being totally happy with it.
Original post by Baloney
You're a judgemental moron.
Honestly, how can you be so shallow and selfish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate the honesty. I am NEVER like this, I was shocked when I started to feel that way. The person had just drastically changed their hair (and not for the better), so it compounded everything. It's just that we're all given an appearance, but it's a serious shame when people don't make the most of it, or do things to themselves that actively hinder their outward appearance and the way they come across. Worse of all, when they complain about not being totally happy with it.

Nobody's gonna judge because you spend time with a supposedly ugly person, if anything it will make you appear even more attractive next to them. :cool: But really I feel sorry for your "friend" for hanging out with such a judgmental person, you sound like you watched too much Gossip Girl (assuming you're female)

I'm actually male, and it's difficult, because the person is female. I know I have no business telling them what to do with their appearance, and I don't, but it does upset me, especially knowing that they are unhappy with how they look. It's just illogical to then do things that make you look even worse.
I'm actually male, and it's difficult, because the person is female. I know I have no business telling them what to do with their appearance, and I don't, but it does upset me, especially knowing that they are unhappy with how they look. It's just illogical to then do things that make you look even worse.

As a friend of the opposite sex, you're probably better off letting it go or else you risk ruining your friendship with her. Unless her poor hygiene makes it unbearable to spend time together, you might as well just suck it up and accept her fashion choices.
As a friend of the opposite sex, you're probably better off letting it go or else you risk ruining your friendship with her. Unless her poor hygiene makes it unbearable to spend time together, you might as well just suck it up and accept her fashion choices.

Not so simple, because (at the risk of being discovered), it's my sister. I don't see her very often, and this makes me want to see her even less. God, I realise how horrendous that sounds, but it makes me upset. Especially when you can't say one thing, extremely delicately, without being accused of extreme criticism. It actually pains me to see people not taking advice that would make them happier. Naturally this feeling is compounded because it's my sister.
Not so simple, because (at the risk of being discovered), it's my sister. I don't see her very often, and this makes me want to see her even less. God, I realise how horrendous that sounds, but it makes me upset. Especially when you can't say one thing, extremely delicately, without being accused of extreme criticism. It actually pains me to see people not taking advice that would make them happier. Naturally this feeling is compounded because it's my sister.

Oh now I see the whole thing in a completely different perspective. I admit that I was paranoid for a moment that you were a friend of mine, because although I apply deodorant religiously everyday I sometimes skip showering due to time constraints and feel super self-conscious on those days... And I also got a recent haircut that a friend of mine disliked, so yeah :tongue:

ANYWAYS... It seems like you and your sister don't exactly have a close relationship, but is it really her appearance that makes you want to be seen with her less? It's a family member after all, we don't get to choose them. Maybe touch on the subject of body odour on those days when she neglects showering, in a semi-jokingly manner? Also, did everyone dislike her recent haircut, or is it just her? Lastly, if your sister is younger than 18, just forget about it because she'll eventually discover it some way or another :biggrin: (trust me I was like your sister... when I was 15)
What are some of things that make your friend unappealing?

Try and pick out what makes them unappealing and see what can be done to make them appealing.

For example, if it's greasy hair, then they need to wash hair their more often. You could point out when your hair is greasy "woah, my hair's pretty greasy, needs a wash" then talk about how often you wash your hair and ask them how often they wash theirs "I usually wash it every 2 days, how about you?" If they say something like "once a week", which seems to be the root of the problem, you can say something general like "oh, with our hair types, it's better to wash it often" which is a suggestion on how to get rid of that problem.

I understand where you're coming from OP. Although this will help the both of you, you seem to wanna help your friend more than help yourself.

If you're worried about being found out from listing all that things that make her unappealing or not sure how to suggest a solution to her, feel free to PM me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you a girl or a boy.
Oh now I see the whole thing in a completely different perspective. I admit that I was paranoid for a moment that you were a friend of mine, because although I apply deodorant religiously everyday I sometimes skip showering due to time constraints and feel super self-conscious on those days... And I also got a recent haircut that a friend of mine disliked, so yeah :tongue:

ANYWAYS... It seems like you and your sister don't exactly have a close relationship, but is it really her appearance that makes you want to be seen with her less? It's a family member after all, we don't get to choose them. Maybe touch on the subject of body odour on those days when she neglects showering, in a semi-jokingly manner? Also, did everyone dislike her recent haircut, or is it just her? Lastly, if your sister is younger than 18, just forget about it because she'll eventually discover it some way or another :biggrin: (trust me I was like your sister... when I was 15)

Hah, i feel bad for laughing at your first para.

Well said. :biggrin:
Does anyone else feel like this? Part of me feels guilty for admitting it, but at the end of the day it can reflect badly on you. For example, if I at least try on my appearance, I shouldn't be brought down by someone else. I'm not a superficial person, but this can affect whether or not I want to spend time with someone. This is anon because the person I'm referring to is on tsr. This goes for friends and family members. Also, how can you delicately approach the situation, and give someone advice on how to better their appearance without them feeling as though they are under attack, especially when the person is already on the defensive?

i think YOU need to have a look at your choice in women tbh.
You cant eat in mcdonalds then complain about the quality of the burger.
For me, it's less what they look like and more like how they act.

e.g. I have a friend who smokes and I hate it when he lights up in public because I don't want people to think I condone it.

Being out and about with someone who just isn't very attractive - that's not an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending