The Student Room Group

im depressed :'(

basically since i went to uni in september 2014 i got depressed being there... long story...

i've now quit, moved to my dads in bristol but i still feel how i was when i was at uni. just a different depressed. like i dont know what to do with my future, i have been told i have to go back into education this following academic year or ive been threatened i have to go back home.

im depressed becuase i feel so lonely, my sister has a boyfriend so she sees him and im left alone at the house. i find it difficult to communicate with my dad as my chinese is terrible. i mean my dad and step mum are so lovely but im just finding it hard to cope....

i have recently got a job in new look and i just feel so out of place, i dont have lots of confidence and being a newbie is not the best thing, plus the shifts are flexible and it just makes it inconvenient for me.

my mum came down to visit today and when she dropped me off back home i was alone in the house, crying/sobbing hysterically. like i miss home, i miss how it used to be like 5 months ago. i dont remember feeling happy anymore. i keep crying. :frown: :frown: :frown:
There's a difference between feeling depressed and having depression (I'm not saying you're either, it's up to you to decide).

If you're struggling to cope and think you have depression I would advise going to see your GP so they could examine you and then arrange some counselling. I have it myself and actually it's really helpful, I don't feel so lost anymore.

Alternatively, if you're just feeling depressed (or if you have depression this would help too), try to look for ways to make you feel better (join a sports club if you're into that, or put in effort to make friends and go out with them, or spend time with your family whatever state it is in just blossom under their company and make the most out of what you have).

As for uni, don't let a bad experience get you down. No matter what you're threatened with you need to do what is best for you. Perhaps a uni environment wasn't best so you need to go and do btecs, or that specific uni wasn't good for you as they are all different so look for a different one. It sucks being set back, but then when you get there in the end you'll be happy you worked through the bad times and didn't give up.

Also with regards to work, being a newbie is tough but eventually you'll get used to it and won't be the newbie so just wait and see. If you really hate it though, change jobs (I work in a charity shop which sounds boring but actually it is so much more rewarding than mainstream retail).

That got kinda soppy but basically be happy :smile: baking cupcakes helps.
Reply 2
Original post by MeerkatSwag
There's a difference between feeling depressed and having depression (I'm not saying you're either, it's up to you to decide).

If you're struggling to cope and think you have depression I would advise going to see your GP so they could examine you and then arrange some counselling. I have it myself and actually it's really helpful, I don't feel so lost anymore.

Alternatively, if you're just feeling depressed (or if you have depression this would help too), try to look for ways to make you feel better (join a sports club if you're into that, or put in effort to make friends and go out with them, or spend time with your family whatever state it is in just blossom under their company and make the most out of what you have).

As for uni, don't let a bad experience get you down. No matter what you're threatened with you need to do what is best for you. Perhaps a uni environment wasn't best so you need to go and do btecs, or that specific uni wasn't good for you as they are all different so look for a different one. It sucks being set back, but then when you get there in the end you'll be happy you worked through the bad times and didn't give up.

Also with regards to work, being a newbie is tough but eventually you'll get used to it and won't be the newbie so just wait and see. If you really hate it though, change jobs (I work in a charity shop which sounds boring but actually it is so much more rewarding than mainstream retail).

That got kinda soppy but basically be happy :smile: baking cupcakes helps.

well i dont know, ive felt like this for the past 4 months now so :frown:
also thanks for everything youve said. and the thing is like im fed up of learning anymore but i have to do it - typical asian parent...
and i dont have friends here as theyre at uni or live in wiltshire, i live in bristol now since i moved from bournemouth uni to my dads straightaway without staying at my mums :frown:
and yeah i guess im new so overtime it will get better. but all the girls are pretty, tall, know all about the store, im stuck with vacuuming and moppingat the end of the shift when apparently 'everyone' does it but the last 5 shifts i've done it everytime. plus i lack confidence so 1. i dont think i would want to go to a GP so im not really helping myself and 2. thers a lot that you have to say to customers and when the manager watches over me i panic and cant get my words out to customers...

also i love to bake, it takes my mind off things
Original post by teaaacup
well i dont know, ive felt like this for the past 4 months now so :frown:
also thanks for everything youve said. and the thing is like im fed up of learning anymore but i have to do it - typical asian parent...
and i dont have friends here as theyre at uni or live in wiltshire, i live in bristol now since i moved from bournemouth uni to my dads straightaway without staying at my mums :frown:
and yeah i guess im new so overtime it will get better. but all the girls are pretty, tall, know all about the store, im stuck with vacuuming and moppingat the end of the shift when apparently 'everyone' does it but the last 5 shifts i've done it everytime. plus i lack confidence so 1. i dont think i would want to go to a GP so im not really helping myself and 2. thers a lot that you have to say to customers and when the manager watches over me i panic and cant get my words out to customers...

also i love to bake, it takes my mind off things

4 months is a while, personally I left mine too long and would advise to act early as the recovery wouldn't take as long.

You don't have to tell me (obviously), but as far as the NHS are concerned they only consider you to have depression if you self harm and are suicidal. This obviously fluctuates between different hospitals but in my experience that's the way it has been. My GP was horrible to me and I didn't know what to say to him, I got referred to mental health clinics by my school. As you don't go to one, it's probably in your best interest to give your GP a go. Although they can be intimidating, they are professional, confidential and would put you at ease so you could express you problems to them easily. You could go with a parent/sibling instead though to help you.

Your job sounds unfair, maybe they're testing you out by getting you to do cleaning to see how workable you are. Keep at it☺️

I come from a family forceful towards education also, but remember it is your life so if you really don't want to go back you don't have to. What career do you want to have? Because you could just go straight for a job or apprenticeship?

Baking is awesome :smile:
me too. its hard not having anyone to talk to, hard being alone all day and not having a good sense of what the future holds for you. you just have to keep fighting through it, try to do something good with your life. dont throw it away :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending