The Student Room Group

A level options -help!

I want to do something biology related in the future (biological science?) .. So obviously I'll take biology and then I want to take geography and maths ( we only take 3 ) .. But I was thinking would chemistry be more useful than maths?
Chem would be more useful than Geography...
Original post by Elzieeee
I want to do something biology related in the future (biological science?) .. So obviously I'll take biology and then I want to take geography and maths ( we only take 3 ) .. But I was thinking would chemistry be more useful than maths?

Chemistry is definitely more useful than maths. If you want to do four, talk to your college and see if they will let you.
Original post by Elzieeee

How come your college/6th form only let you take 3?
Original post by Emma:-)
How come your college/6th form only let you take 3?

Changes to A-levels, they now only recommend 3. However there's no reason not to take 4.
Original post by morgan8002
Changes to A-levels, they now only recommend 3. However there's no reason not to take 4.

In that case then, id take the 4- biology, chemistry, geography and maths- and then you can always drop one if its too much, or just drop one at the end of AS.
In that case then, id take the 4- biology, chemistry, geography and maths- and then you can always drop one if its too much, or just drop one at the end of AS.

I agree with this, however if they drop it after the first year they won't get an AS if on the new system.
Reply 7
I think for something related to biology it would be best to pick bio Chem and geog. That's if you can only pick 3. Although maths is a science subject I don't think it's really included in bio offers but I've never really looked tbh :P not doing Chem might restrict you. But bio maths and geog are good subjects and in fact I plan to take them all to A2 and am currently in AS(hopefully optometrist)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bio, Chem and Maths would be favourable for the top Unis, but Bio + Chem would be enough for a biology related course, just make sure your 3rd isn't a soft one, geography would be fine i suppose.
Reply 9
With a keen interest in courses surrounding biology, chemistry is generally a favourable choice due to its complimentary aspects to biology. However, do not feel forced to take certain subjects if you don't enjoy or aren't good at them.

If you choose to take Mathematics but fail to keep up withe work load, it will seriously bring down your prospects of achieving solid A-Level grades. Due to your decision in only choosing 3 A-Levels, you will be more vulnerable as the majority of universities ask for 3 A-Levels.
Original post by Fay17
I think for something related to biology it would be best to pick bio Chem and geog. That's if you can only pick 3. Although maths is a science subject I don't think it's really included in bio offers but I've never really looked tbh :P not doing Chem might restrict you. But bio maths and geog are good subjects and in fact I plan to take them all to A2 and am currently in AS(hopefully optometrist)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths can be included, but chemistry is preferred and will help in other ways.
I agree with this, however if they drop it after the first year they won't get an AS if on the new system.

I think you will find they will still get an AS out of it.
file:///C:/Users/emma/Downloads/ALevelsReformInformation2015.pdf
I've managed to get Biology uni offers with Bio, Maths and Media (two of these were RG). If you want to take Chemistry, take it, but it certainly isn't required.

Your link doesn't work, but from quick research it seems you might be able to decide in January which one you just want an AS in if any.
Your link doesn't work, but from quick research it seems you might be able to decide in January which one you just want an AS in if any.

Its a shame th link didnt work. But yeah, thats what i was saying, you can still do an AS. Its just separate from the full a-level.
So the OP could still take all 4 subjects if they wanted to.
Reply 15
Original post by petrie96
With a keen interest in courses surrounding biology, chemistry is generally a favourable choice due to its complimentary aspects to biology. However, do not feel forced to take certain subjects if you don't enjoy or aren't good at them.

If you choose to take Mathematics but fail to keep up withe work load, it will seriously bring down your prospects of achieving solid A-Level grades. Due to your decision in only choosing 3 A-Levels, you will be more vulnerable as the majority of universities ask for 3 A-Levels.

I think I should be able to keep up with the workload as I'm doing additional maths at the moment which is starting on c1 and c2 as we've finished the gcse course but like you say I think uni's may favour chemistry
Reply 16

AS levels are only available in some subjects at my school.. This includes maths.. Chem, bio and geog are all examined at the end of Second year

Quick Reply

Latest