The Student Room Group

Would you ever learn another language?

Poll

Would you learn another language?

Just curious as I know many people like the idea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am starting to try and learn German (third time lucky yes?) again. I'd love to be able to speak it well, it's such an interesting (and a pain in the ass grammar-wise) language.
Reply 2
I would like to learn Spanish or Chinese, perhaps in the future though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did French A level, tried to learn Polish at work but mainly got simple orders and swearing, just done modules in Italian and mandarin at uni and am trying to very slowly pick up some Greek from Greek friends. Love languages :h:
Reply 4
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Did French A level, tried to learn Polish at work but mainly got simple orders and swearing, just done modules in Italian and mandarin at uni and am trying to very slowly pick up some Greek from Greek friends. Love languages :h:

Original post by Inexorably
I am starting to try and learn German (third time lucky yes?) again. I'd love to be able to speak it well, it's such an interesting (and a pain in the ass grammar-wise) language.

Original post by Pulse.
I would like to learn Spanish or Chinese, perhaps in the future though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am learning spanish personally, and ive found something that works for me.

I use euronews website, they have very short video articles in most main languages and like a transcript underneath. Cannot reccomend it highly enough!

And then I use this thing called Learning with texts (from fluent in 3 months website) where you paste in texts and highlight what words you know and dont know.... Its pretty cool and helps me see how much of
Articles i know

I also find speaking is really good but hard logistically speaking :wink:

What methods work for you guys?
I know enough Spanish to get by if that counts. Also tried learning french.
Reply 6
Original post by Peachykeen09
I know enough Spanish to get by if that counts. Also tried learning french.

What made you stop?
Reply 7
Nope. Despite living and working in France for a few months at a time; I've never managed to pick up more than a few words. Memory just isnt good enough to remember new languages!
I'm actually spanish and this year I will study at a uk uni :smile:. I also know how to speak French and one of my aims in life is to be able to speak more than 5 languages. I would probably like to learn german, italian, chinese or arabic :biggrin:. I'm a bit crazy haha :colone:
Reply 9
I'd love to learn German one day!
Reply 10
Yes, I learned German to near fluency. Next I want to learn Spanish or Russian. I think it gets a lot easier after mastering one :smile:
I'm an eighteen Italian guy and at the moment I speak fluently English German and French. Actually, my aim is learning other three languages (Russian, Portuguese and Arabic). I believe that languages allows u to glimpse what for the others is hidden. That's like living an other life for each language u learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first language is English, and I am pretty fluent in BSL. I know a lot of French, but am still improving my knowledge of it, and I am learning Russian and German currently. I hope to try Hindi and Arabic after, too.
I've recently become addicted to K-pop and I almost want to learn Korean just to understand what they're singing about :tongue: their alphabet doesn't seem too difficult to learn and can already read some of the symbols. I'd also quite like to learn German :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Japanese. I have wanted to do so since I was about 10, but there always seemed to be something in the way. I've been learning it for about a month and I am really enjoying it so far.
I already know 2 languages, would like to learn French someday
I'm a native English speaker and can speak French, German, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. I'd like to learn Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese and Korean (I'm a Kpop fan)
I wanted to carry on doing a level German but they didn't let me :frown:

Now hopefully will apply to do english and portuguese at uni
Reply 18
I know French and English fluently, did Russian for gcse but the school didn't offer it at a-level so i guess i'll just have to pick it up later on, and i'm doing a 4 month course in Japanese which is so much fun. I'd like to be able to speak Russian fluently.
yeah french and spanish

Quick Reply

Latest