The Student Room Group

Good universities in clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dingdongbat
Also, you do realise that Cambridge and Oxford have no specific GCSE requirements for most subjects? There is an English proficiency requirement for foreign students met by the usual range of qualifications like IELTS. Just be bloody brilliant and the rest will fall in place :-)

Imperial College specifies a satisfactory English requirement that can be met by a variety of means. I am fairly confident you don't want to do it with GCSE English Language (min B) :-) But I note they will accept IELTS (usually taken by foreign students), CPE and others. Can you wing the IELTS? There are language school crammers that prepare foreign students for those. Brighton and Cambridge are overrun with that kind of establishment.

Is your first language not English (or can it be construed to be so)? Then UCL accept IELTS, CPE, etc.

It's taken me 10 minutes to find the above. I think you might want to research whether you could use alternate English proficiency qualifications more thoroughly.

I have researched this. I knew Cambridge's, but it doesn't help because I didn't get an offer from there.

No, I don't even speak any other languages.

I have a table that I made in September when I started to worry about this. It has all of the approved tests on it. I have no idea how difficult the tests are but I was going to enter for a few in the summer and hope I pass one.
Original post by Muttley79
No - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 1st in maths from Exeter or Southampton or Reading or another RG university.

Stay there for the whole degree if you don't met your offers; seriously it will make absolutely no difference.

I agree stay with a RG uni do your best and hope for a 1st and maybe post grad Camb / Oxfo etc
Reply 102
Your GCSE results won't come out until a week after A Level results day, so even if there were top ten uni courses in clearing, they will all be gone by the time you find out your GCSE English result
How anyone whose first language is English could get below a C in GCSE English language is beyond me.
Original post by kingoftheting
How anyone whose first language is English could get below a C in GCSE English language is beyond me.

38.3% of candidates last year failed. You can't claim that a significant proportion of those didn't have English as a first language.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UhHfxt1X_vaofP7NfOWctnlTuXpD_dBlWwfoDH4VQ-k/edit#gid=0
I spent 84.2% of my time in school smoking weed and still managed it. This was 12 years ago, mind you.

Probably could have gone to Oxbridge if I hadn't written my personal statement after popping six Xanax. Oh, well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
Thinking about it I don't think I'd ever go to Southampton.

Original post by morgan8002
Southampton I probably wouldn't go to but may consider doing the first year there and then transfer if there's no other option.

Southampton is a Russell Group university
Original post by Tilds1997
Southampton is a Russell Group university

, so...
What makes you think that you'll be accepted to a top 10 uni if you miss the grades for a uni and course that already demands high grades?! You're better off retaking the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending