The Student Room Group

Your 6 most disliked UK politicians active today

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean he didn't?
That surprises me

No he did, sorry my phone posted half my comment.

My point is that it very much looks like he is placing his business interests ahead of his constituents.
Original post by Davij038
No he did, sorry my phone posted half my comment.

Better than I've had, the other day I had a post put in an entirely different thread that had been dead for years

My point is that it very much looks like he is placing his business interests ahead of his constituents.

Politician
That aside, part of being an MP is doing what you think is best for your constituents, even if that means going against what they think is best. In the plain packets case, while it is in his own interests it is also reasonable to argue that he thought it was for the better of his constituents, as any sensible person would. Which is the primary factor, however, is unclear and depends how cynical you are.
Reply 102

Politician

To be honest I think a lot of the cynicism for politicians is unearned and is generally due to media placing them under scrutiny. We rarely hear anything positive about politicians or political institutions. I think that politicians in general are acting from honest intentions.

That aside, part of being an MP is doing what you think is best for your constituents, even if that means going against what they think is best. In the plain packets case, while it is in his own interests it is also reasonable to argue that he thought it was for the better of his constituents, as any sensible person would. Which is the primary factor, however, is unclear and depends how cynical you are.

People need to be informed as to why their MPs mKe the decisions that they do.

Whilst it's possible that an MP genuinely believes that say fracking would be good for the country and his constituents, if they are a chairperson for a fracking group it calls into question whose interests they are acting.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Surprised Tony Blair has escaped mention so far.

Is there anyone who wouldn't beg Blair to come back at this point?
William Hague - just go away. hangs around in the background doing nothing, completely gave up caring years ago. hangs around like a bad fart, bottling it at the next election to avoid being associated with the child abuse enquiry
To be honest I think a lot of the cynicism for politicians is unearned and is generally due to media placing them under scrutiny. We rarely hear anything positive about politicians or political institutions. I think that politicians in general are acting from honest intentions.

Forgot to put the :tongue: :tongue:
Wasn't being too serious there

People need to be informed as to why their MPs mKe the decisions that they do.

Whilst it's possible that an MP genuinely believes that say fracking would be good for the country and his constituents, if they are a chairperson for a fracking group it calls into question whose interests they are acting.
The thing is we just have to take it on faith that, at least for the most part, they do what they feel is on our best interests, I think labour are largely wrong, but I still have faith that they think they're doing the right thing. Then consider that even if scrutinised we still have to trust that they're being honest and/or those found the scrutiny are and it's easiest to just leave them to it unless they're consistent in appearing to act in their own interests and against their constituents

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blair
Gove
Hunt
Cameron
Farage
Osbourne

Posted from TSR Mobile
francis maude . just a vile man in general

look at his behaviour at 11:30 on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcWmi_8csw

Alec Shelbrooke - takes the notion of behaving like a farm animal at pmqs to new levels
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Observatory

Although overall I think the Iraq invasion was a good thing, and that often Blair has been unfairly demonized, I dont think him coming back would do any good.

Depends in what capacity, PM, no thanks, leader of the Labour party, well, I can't argue that he isn't better than Miliband, and I'm inclined to put him in my top 6 given that he made the Labour party that much more sensible.
Depends in what capacity, PM, no thanks, leader of the Labour party, well, I can't argue that he isn't better than Miliband, and I'm inclined to put him in my top 6 given that he made the Labour party that much more sensible.

I don't see what Cameron offers even a Tory voter that Blair didn't, and at least Blair could actually win a majority.
I don't see what Cameron offers even a Tory voter that Blair didn't, and at least Blair could actually win a majority.

I must admit that i'd have voted for him in 01 and if i based my 05 and 10 vote on his areas (education, health and foreign policy) rather than the economy then i probably would vote for him.
Dave, Harriet, Chuka, May, Ed, George.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nicola sturgen (bitter woman)
Alex Salmond (arrogant)
Gerry Adams
Cotrina roan for destroying our 11+ and installing Irish schools and wasting money
?
???)?
Just thought we'd have a nice thread talking about which politicians UK we dislike the most. They must either be an MP or in the House of Lords, or an MEP.

1: Home Secretary Theresa May: utterly incompetent and slightly nasty. From the sound of it , she's matched in this by Philip Hammond

2: Harriet Harman: seems to the root of the divisive, petty point scoring that is so predominant leader. She seems to have passed this on to many MPs noticeably Douglas Alexander, somebody with barely a splinter of spine IMO

3: my local mp Rehman Chishti: a labour mp who defected to the Tories in 2010. Out of "deep moral convictions". More interested in photoshoots and sucking up to Cameron than getting anything done.

4: mp mark reckless: a thoroughly dishonest and unpleasant man, even before ukip. Even many ukip voters in the area can't stand him.

5: David Cameron: for being a spineless muppet and taking the Conservatoves out of the EPP.

6: that lib dem MP that's acting like Galloway and doing the je suis Palestine crap. The only lib dem that really deserves to lose their seat IMO.

Disclaimer; Nigel farage, George Galloway... I find them too entertaining to actually dislike personally, although I hope both remain as question time personalities and have no influence outside of that.

Nigel farage- ignorant idiot
Alex salmond- doesn't seem to be very pleasant
David Cameron- doesn't seem to have a grip on the lives of everyday people
Andy Burnham - insipid, boring and uses the most bland, plain , patronising language, and has atrocious social skills.

Labour must hand out manuals on what to say and not to say - the end result is these socially robotic, pathetic politicians.
Chuka Umunna - views himself as the British Obama but has about a tenth of the charisma.

Harriet Harman - illogical feminist who can't wait to start ripping our freedoms apart if she gets into government again.

Sadiq Khan - amoral Blairite abomination of a man who offers absolutely nothing to parliament.

George Osborne - pathological liar.

Glenda Jackson - supports gender based abortions, nuff said.

Ken Livingstone - I know he's not currently in any sort of office, but he's a known anti-Semite who is on record as saying that those opposing Islamist-backed voter fraud should be harrassed and followed to their homes. I'm aware Galloway falls into a similar category but at least he's honest about his views and doesn't put on a moderate front 95% of the time.

Caroline Lucas and Natalie Bennett - their party's manifesto is far-Left extremism. Hopefully LibLabCon will do something useful for once and expose them in debates.

Paul Nuttall - Not bright enough to be deputy leader of UKIP and does the party I support a great disservice. He embodies the childishness and amateurism that UKIP needs to shake off.

I'm aware this is more politicians than asked for, but too many is better than too few.
On George Osborne - seeing him get booed at the paralympics made him my favourite MP.

It just showed what a bunch of jealous haters they really were

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending