The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by althornber1
Yay I got mine yesterday! :smile: so funny how we have to collect teeth...
I've already mentioned but I've firmed uclan so will be up for meeting everyone :smile: I think you've made the right choice with uclan!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same with KCL re: collecting teeth. Sounds so weird lol
Reply 521
Hi has anyone received a interview from Liverpool for postgraduate dentistry entry im still waiting. Getting worried now
Original post by uvdent
Hi has anyone received a interview from Liverpool for postgraduate dentistry entry im still waiting. Getting worried now

Still waiting here too :frown:
Original post by eshdentist
Same with KCL re: collecting teeth. Sounds so weird lol

Have you had a letter from KCL about that yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farmy93
Have you had a letter from KCL about that yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not yet! Just asked another student about it :-)
Offer from Aberdeen
Original post by BiomedDentist
Offer from Aberdeen

Congrats!!! You have a choice! That's cool!
Reply 527
Conditional offer from Aberdeen also =)!
Just firmed UCLan and Aberdeen is my insurance... Never thought I would be in this position, feel very lucky and can't wait for September :biggrin:
Congrats guys!! Get on ya finals now! Lol good luck!

X
Hi folks,

Just found this thread.

I'm a junior doctor hoping to do MaxFax and have applied to UCLan, Liverpool & KCL (Medical Graduate Entry). Didn't do UKCAT so Aberdeen was off the books. So far, I've had an unconditional offer from UCLan and still waiting to hear from Liverpool and KCL.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one still waiting. I never realised it would take more than 4 months since our applications have been in to hear from Liverpool. The KCL course for medics had a Jan 15th deadline, so that seems more understandable.

Congrats to everyone who has already received the offers they wanted!
Original post by eshdentist
Did anyone see about Aberdeen on the news?

Aberdeen dental school 'harmed patients' finds report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31503300

Can't believe 1/3 didn't graduate last year!

Hey everyone! Been keeping up with this thread for a while. I'm also waiting to hear from Aberdeen and am a Biomed student there already doing my honours project at the dental school.

This article worried me too so I asked the lab staff I'm working with about it and its not all it seems from what I was told :

It was actually Aberdeen dental school
that reported the incidents to the GDC leading to the investigation so the incidents were not discovered by inspection alone and the GDC were alerted to help prevent them happening again.

They have had GDC inspections each year since opening which have all been cleared and satisfactory (I was misled thinking this was the first one they've had).

About the third of students that didn't graduate it was due to the change of management at the school last year and change of the exam system so some students found this difficult and had to resit, as a result they were put back a year.

Also worth bearing in mind that the bcc does mention that there were no complaints from the patients.

I hope this clears up any worries and doubts the bbc article created! Now hopefully we can all make informed decisions knowing both sides ☺️ Also it's a good idea if there are doubts to phone up aberdeen dental school and ask, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any queries! 👍

Congrats to everyone with offers and good luck to those of us still waiting! 😃
Original post by happytooth
Hey everyone! Been keeping up with this thread for a while. I'm also waiting to hear from Aberdeen and am a Biomed student there already doing my honours project at the dental school.

This article worried me too so I asked the lab staff I'm working with about it and its not all it seems from what I was told :

that reported the incidents to the GDC leading to the investigation so the incidents were not discovered by inspection alone and the GDC were alerted to help prevent them happening again.

They have had GDC inspections each year since opening which have all been cleared and satisfactory (I was misled thinking this was the first one they've had).

About the third of students that didn't graduate it was due to the change of management at the school last year and change of the exam system so some students found this difficult and had to resit, as a result they were put back a year.

Also worth bearing in mind that the bcc does mention that there were no complaints from the patients.

I hope this clears up any worries and doubts the bbc article created! Now hopefully we can all make informed decisions knowing both sides ☺️ Also it's a good idea if there are doubts to phone up aberdeen dental school and ask, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any queries! ������

Congrats to everyone with offers and good luck to those of us still waiting! ������

Thank you for the information happytooth. Good luck hearing from Aberdeen. I am also waiting for news from them and am only now pricking up my ears as others are getting offers today (congrats guys!)
Original post by happytooth

I hope this clears up any worries and doubts the bbc article created! Now hopefully we can all make informed decisions knowing both sides ☺️ Also it's a good idea if there are doubts to phone up aberdeen dental school and ask, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any queries! 👍

Congrats to everyone with offers and good luck to those of us still waiting! 😃

Are you sure you don't work at the dental school? This post sounds awfully like a damage limitations press release written by a public relations officer.
Original post by pauljoseph
Are you sure you don't work at the dental school? This post sounds awfully like a damage limitations press release written by a public relations officer.

Bit weird that it's his only post too.

However I wouldn't assume it was their only inspection. I assume most schools have them yearly/routinely anyway and problems always arise at some point or another, it's inevitable with such a vocational course.

The only thing that would concern me is the low graduate rate. Whatever the reasons behind it was, it's still concerning. Paying 45k to not graduate must feel awful for the student :-(

Anywhooo that's just my opinion on it, I didn't apply there, I just saw the story on bbc and thought it may be of interest to those who have applied :-)
Original post by pauljoseph

Nope I don't work there, I'm just an Aberdeen biomed student doing my honours year project at the dental school - this is just what the lab technicians told me when I asked about the article. I just wanted to share with you guys in case it helps, and this is why I made an account.

I understand how it might seem fishy but just sharing what I found, honest! :biggrin:

But also I'm not entirely sure how much of what I was told is true as I know the dental school is wary about losing applicants (again what my project supervisor and lab technicians told me) so taking it all with a pinch of salt! And I agree the it's still a bit of a worry :s-smilie:
So make of it what you will :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vic_cloud
Thank you for the information happytooth. Good luck hearing from Aberdeen. I am also waiting for news from them and am only now pricking up my ears as others are getting offers today (congrats guys!)

Thank you! Good luck with yours too :biggrin: Just relieved offers are finally coming out instead of having to wait till March :tongue:
Offer from Aberdeen!! Still waiting to hear back from Kings interview :smile:
Original post by Yorkielass
Offer from Aberdeen!! Still waiting to hear back from Kings interview :smile:

Congrats!! X
Hey, is anyone having trouble logging on to the king's portal tonight or can you log on?

Quick Reply

Latest