The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bafid
Any one at christs/ with an offer

how are you interpreting this:

Those whose places are confirmed following the publication of exam results will find a bill for their tuition fees, accommodation etc. waiting for them on arrival. This bill should be settled within 14 days of the start of term

does this mean we have to pay for the term upfront?

I think this may have been why I was unsure!
Reply 1441
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think this may have been why I was unsure!

yeah I know, its worrying
Reply 1442
Original post by bafid
yeah I know, its worrying

I have to pay within 14 days (unless I had a decent excuse - SFE ****ing up or something) of the start of term. It's not uncommon.
Reply 1443
Original post by alow
I have to pay within 14 days (unless I had a decent excuse - SFE ****ing up or something) of the start of term. It's not uncommon.

Could you give a ball park figure for how much a college bill is likely to be?
Reply 1444
Original post by bafid
Could you give a ball park figure for how much a college bill is likely to be?

Depends on the college and room. Mine was £1137.94 for Lent term.
Reply 1445
Original post by alow
Depends on the college and room. Mine was £1137.94 for Lent term.

Thanks :smile:, I didnt apply for the full student loan, so I think I might need to get in touch with student finance and increase them amount
Original post by bafid
Any one at christs/ with an offer

how are you interpreting this:

Those whose places are confirmed following the publication of exam results will find a bill for their tuition fees, accommodation etc. waiting for them on arrival. This bill should be settled within 14 days of the start of term

does this mean we have to pay for the term upfront?

This is normal at most English universities. People get their student loan at the start of term and they expect you to pay up front.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If money is paid in after 6th October... Am I meant to cover accommodation costs beforehand with personal money or? :s-smilie:

And is it termly or for the whole year in advance?

I have been told I have to pay a £1,538 deposit and that was last years fee so this years will be higher.I am able to cover this but how can they expect everyone to cover this in August without any money from Student Finance.My money will be very tight having to pay in virtually all my life savings just for a deposit which I don't get back till when I leave the college.

I know you have to pay accommodation costs as part of your college bill but is likely you will also have to pay a deposit.Have you heard anything about this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Just confirmed my government subsidised studio flat, with kitchen, for October. Oh the benefits of being autistic :biggrin:
Original post by Dalek1099
I have been told I have to pay a £1,538 deposit and that was last years fee so this years will be higher.I am able to cover this but how can they expect everyone to cover this in August without any money from Student Finance.My money will be very tight having to pay in virtually all my life savings just for a deposit which I don't get back till when I leave the college.

I know you have to pay accommodation costs as part of your college bill but is likely you will also have to pay a deposit.Have you heard anything about this?

Yeah I'm going to Emma too and I'm in shock about this! They could've told us this when applying, may have changed my college choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
Yeah I'm going to Emma too and I'm in shock about this! They could've told us this when applying, may have changed my college choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

All Universities seem to have kept quiet that there was such a thing as deposit before Student Finance as everyone would ask how they would expect to pay it.I think Emma seem a bit out of touch to me after them asking for other things as well like an up to date passport photo page before arriving at the college again more money before Student Finance comes in and they didn't pay train fares when you could have been in trouble if your College didn't for the interviews.

All this seems to add up to stop poor people getting there to me I remember reading that the average family is very poor at saving money and doesn't have £1,000 so where do they expect people to get £1,538 from(from thin air or taking risky loans) fortunately my family are very good savers compared to the rest of the country despite being poor if I have difficulties as money will be tight paying for this my brother will lend me some money interest free, which is nice as he usually charges interest.Things like this make you realise there are much more important issues than tuition fees to deal with like putting a cap on deposit fees and forcing them to be charged after you have got Student Finance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
All Universities seem to have kept quiet that there was such a thing as deposit before Student Finance as everyone would ask how they would expect to pay it.I think Emma seem a bit out of touch to me after them asking for other things as well like an up to date passport photo page before arriving at the college again more money before Student Finance comes in and they didn't pay train fares when you could have been in trouble if your College didn't for the interviews.

All this seems to add up to stop poor people getting there to me I remember reading that the average family is very poor at saving money and doesn't have £1,000 so where do they expect people to get £1,538 from(from thin air or taking risky loans) fortunately my family are very good savers compared to the rest of the country despite being poor if I have difficulties as money will be tight paying for this my brother will lend me some money interest free, which is nice as he usually charges interest.Things like this make you realise there are much more important issues than tuition fees to deal with like putting a cap on deposit fees and forcing them to be charged after you have got Student Finance.

Original post by Mini-Me

If you can't afford it speak to your College - they may be able to provide assistance.

The deposit (Caution Money) varies by college - Christ's is £200. Emma sounds high...

In comparison, if you were at a different uni and had to rent from the private sector (e.g. for 2nd & 3rd year accomodation) you can expect to pay a deposit of 1 - 2 months rent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
If you can't afford it speak to your College - they may be able to provide assistance.

The deposit (Caution Money) varies by college - Christ's is £200. Emma sounds high...

In comparison, if you were at a different uni and had to rent from the private sector (e.g. for 2nd & 3rd year accomodation) you can expect to pay a deposit of 1 - 2 months rent.

Do you by any chance have info about other colleges eg John's? This is the first time I hear of such a thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Do you by any chance have info about other colleges eg John's? This is the first time I hear of such a thing

I think you have to pay a caution of 1,000£ upon your arrival at John's. It's subtracted from your bill for Easter term in the last year. So you do get it back, but it's logically worth less due to inflation. They introduced this to prevent students from getting their degree and leaving without paying the last rent. And as a nice side effect, they can also invest it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student finance comes in on the 6th October the earliest. Should be fine I think... If there are no delays
Original post by aersh8

Original post by Thucydides96
I think you have to pay a caution of 1,000£ upon your arrival at John's. It's subtracted from your bill for Easter term in the last year. So you do get it back, but it's logically worth less due to inflation. They introduced this to prevent students from getting their degree and leaving without paying the last rent. And as a nice side effect, they can also invest it.

However according to this FOI request St John's don't require a deposit (confused?!):
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/student_deposits_25

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1456
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sidney deposit was £250. Also don't forget your first termly bill will be lower than your second terms because it will not include items of food etc purchased on your college card.
Original post by Thucydides96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you please tell me the source of this information?

Jneill's FOI is from 2010 so it may have been introduced afterwards, but it would be nice to make sure since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're commonplace at most universities and independent schools.

Anyway at john's you shouldn't be complaining about financial pressure your rent will probably be more than £1000 cheaper per year due to college subsidiaries in comparison to lots of colleges. Average weekly rent at robinson is £140 at johns is £85 (not to mention your rooms are nicer and bigger or atleast the room ive been to in cripps are) which would account to a saving of £1320 a year or roughly £4000 over a three year degree.
Original post by Malc
Sidney deposit was £250. Also don't forget your first termly bill will be lower than your second terms because it will not include items of food etc purchased on your college card.

So when do you get your first college bill; i thought a college bill would come at end of term, which makes sense as then they know what expenses to put on it. Giving you your bill before youve even used anything just sounds stupid..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending