The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I hadn't heard about this. Where/when did he say this? :eek: You sure it's not the media making a mountain out of a molehill, as they tend to do with anything he says? :biggrin:

I was doing research for a 20 mark on Paul's law and grace views and I typed in "Pope Francis on 'justification by faith'" and it came up numerous times on blogs and the like. And my teacher knew about it too, and he stalks the Pope, seriously, so it has to be some version of the truth. Lemme go find the quote.
Hi everyone :smile:
Original post by MissC123
Hi everyone :smile:

Hello! :biggrin: Have we met? Apologies if we have, I've got the memory of a goldfish :colondollar:
-X-

Ok, so here:

http://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=51106

We believe Catholic.org, don't we? Do we? (I need clarification!)

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! . . . . Even the atheists. Everyone!"
Hello! :biggrin: Have we met? Apologies if we have, I've got the memory of a goldfish :colondollar:

Hey. I'm not sure but your username does sound familiar :P
Original post by CescaD96
Ok, so here:

http://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=51106

We believe Catholic.org, don't we? Do we? (I need clarification!)

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! . . . . Even the atheists. Everyone!"

He has redeemed all of us yes but it is very important that we believe that he has in fact redeemed us for we are only saved through faith in Christ Jesus.
Original post by Joannywhite
He has redeemed all of us yes but it is very important that we believe that he has in fact redeemed us for we are only saved through faith in Christ Jesus.

True. But Atheists don't believe and yet they are saved, according to Francis. This is where good deeds play a role, I think.

I'm not sure, my faith is quite iffy and I am no expert.
Hey. I'm not sure but your username does sound familiar :P

I'm all over the place on here, haha! I'm Shan, the yodelling goatherd/resident cafeteria Catholic :biggrin:

I made 4 people in my religion class ask,"What's the point of going to Mass then?!" when I told the teacher that Pope Francis said that everyone is saved, atheists included, if we all do good deeds. (You know, justification by faith; we've just finished studying Galatians).

Ngl, it was amusing to watch his reaction.

Just read your link and I hate to be the party pooper/to nitpick but as the article you linked (from a site I do not know of but which I suppose, given its reaction, could be fairly legit) says, redeemed does NOT equal saved, unfortunately for the atheists :nah:
I'm all over the place on here, haha! I'm Shan, the yodelling goatherd/resident cafeteria Catholic :biggrin:

Just read your link and I hate to be the party pooper/to nitpick but as the article you linked (from a site I do not know of but which I suppose, given its reaction, could be fairly legit) says, redeemed does NOT equal saved, unfortunately for the atheists :nah:

At least the Atheists are redeemed, that is better than hell. (Although right now, it kinda includes me). I like to think living a good life and carrying out good deeds counts for something, regardless of faith or no faith.
At least the Atheists are redeemed, that is better than hell. (Although right now, it kinda includes me).

With all due respect, I don't think you've understood the difference between redeemed and saved.

Let me give an analogy. A grandfather has several grandchildren. He says to all of them, "I have a present for you: would you like to receive a present?" (He may or may not have provided evidence that there are indeed presents to be given.) All the grandchildren but one say "yes, granddad!"... all but one. One says "no granddad, I do NOT want your present". The granddad then produces the presents and distributes them all, giving every grandchild a present aside from the one who refused.

The act of telling the grandchildren that they can have a present and would they like it, is akin to redemption. The presents are stated as being for all who accept them.

The act of accepting the present, is akin to being saved. You have to actively accept the present, in order to receive it. The fact that one child refused the present, does not negate the fact that it was offered in the first place.

This is off the top of my head and may not make the best sense. But basically the Pope said atheists are REDEEMED. He did NOT use the word saved. So that implies that all atheists can also receive the gift of salvation. However they have not accepted it (yet?!?!) :no:

I like to think living a good life and carrying out good deeds counts for something, regardless of faith or no faith.

I believe the same as you but both Catholic doctrine and in this case, the Pope himself, are very clear on this. No atheists in Heaven :nope: According to both, they are either in Purgatory or, more likely, Hell :sadnod:

Hiya nice to meet you:biggrin: I'm both Catholic & protestant (confusing. Dad's Catholic mum's pentecostal so I'm both I guess). Currently attend both types of churches but I'll need to choose one soon
(edited 9 years ago)
With all due respect, I don't think you've understood the difference between redeemed and saved.

Let me give an analogy. A grandfather has several grandchildren. He says to all of them, "I have a present for you: would you like to receive a present?" (He may or may not have provided evidence that there are indeed presents to be given.) All the grandchildren but one say "yes, granddad!"... all but one. One says "no granddad, I do NOT want your present". The granddad then produces the presents and distributes them all, giving every grandchild a present aside from the one who refused.

The act of telling the grandchildren that they can have a present and would they like it, is akin to redemption. The presents are stated as being for all who accept them.

The act of accepting the present, is akin to being saved. You have to actively accept the present, in order to receive it. The fact that one child refused the present, does not negate the fact that it was offered in the first place.

This is off the top of my head and may not make the best sense. But basically the Pope said atheists are REDEEMED. He did NOT use the word saved. So that implies that all atheists can also receive the gift of salvation. However they have not accepted it (yet?!?!) :no:

I believe the same as you but both Catholic doctrine and in this case, the Pope himself, are very clear on this. No atheists in Heaven :nope: According to both, they are either in Purgatory or, more likely, Hell :sadnod:

And this is why the Catholic faith really isn't for me. Denying people who don't believe, maybe can't believe, and yet are good people is a little unfair. I understand it completely now, yes, but I think it is selfish.

Oh well.
And this is why the Catholic faith really isn't for me. Denying people who don't believe, maybe can't believe, and yet are good people is a little unfair. I understand it completely now, yes, but I think it is selfish.

Oh well.

Why do you see it as selfish? Everyone has the choice to believe or not...just like as with the present analogy it's not selfish of the giver to not force the child to accept the gift, it's up to the child to want to accept.

Hiya nice to meet you:biggrin: I'm both Catholic & protestant (confusing. Dad's Catholic mum's pentecostal so I'm both I guess). Currently attend both types of churches but I'll need to choose one soon

Ooh nice mix :biggrin: Though I think I'm right in saying that if you have not had a Catholic baptism, you are technically not a Catholic.

Don't worry about choosing and don't rush yourself to choose one either. In any case, you may decide neither are for you and you might become a... a Quaker or some other completely different denomination :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Why do you see it as selfish? Everyone has the choice to believe or not...just like as with the present analogy it's not selfish of the giver to not force the child to accept the gift, it's up to the child to want to accept.

I think it's personal in regards to my selfish comment; I've struggled with my faith for so long. I want to believe so badly, I believe having faith and knowing God will make me a happier, better person, and yet I sit in church, I occasionally go to mass and pray, and...nothing. I feel nothing and feel like God has abandoned me.

I think I am an ok-ish person. I suppose I could be better, like everyone else. I read and study scripture, I've looked everywhere, and I can't find God. So I am to be condemned to hell because I can't feel the presence of God within me when I pray or sit in church or read his Good News? I was brought up Catholic and my views are Protestant, but ultimately having a faith in God rather than fully labeling myself in a Christian domination is more important to me now recently. I am to be condemned because I've not felt that glimmer of hope?

Oh well.

That's fairy snuff, though I personally agree with what GEG has said. Also the Catholic Church is clear that there is likely to be dispensation for those who cannot believe due to never having even heard of Christ, or those who lack mental capacity to accept him due to disability :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh nice mix :biggrin: Though I think I'm right in saying that if you have not had a Catholic baptism, you are technically not a Catholic.

Don't worry about choosing and don't rush yourself to choose one either. In any case, you may decide neither are for you and you might become a... a Quaker or some other completely different denomination :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I've had a Catholic baptism holy communion confirmation and everything so one could say I'm fully Catholic.
And yeah I guess I'll have to make up my mind with time
(edited 9 years ago)
That's fairy snuff, though I personally agree with what GEG has said. Also the Catholic Church is clear that there is likely to be dispensation for those who cannot believe due to never having even heard of Christ, or those who lack mental capacity to accept him due to disability :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still stand by my response to GEG, who made a valid point. I've heard of Christ most certainly, but I don't think my depression and SAD can be counted as a disability and a mental incapacity to believe. Therefore, according to my technical Church, I am a walking condemned woman.
I think it's personal in regards to my selfish comment; I've struggled with my faith for so long. I want to believe so badly, I believe having faith and knowing God will make me a happier, better person, and yet I sit in church, I occasionally go to mass and pray, and...nothing. I feel nothing and feel like God has abandoned me.

I think I am an ok-ish person. I suppose I could be better, like everyone else. I read and study scripture, I've looked everywhere, and I can't find God. So I am to be condemned to hell because I can't feel the presence of God within me when I pray or sit in church or read his Good News? I was brought up Catholic and my views are Protestant, but ultimately having a faith in God rather than fully labeling myself in a Christian domination is more important to me now recently. I am to be condemned because I've not felt that glimmer of hope?

I can't think where I read it before but Christianity isn't about feeling Christ. We put far too much emphasis on feeling God or not feeling God. This makes us fair weather...when we feel God things are good, but when we don't, we're lost. This may be helpful: https://carm.org/prayer-feeling-god God never abandons us, but He also never says that being a Christian will be easy or make everything better, in fact the opposite, we're told we'll suffer because of it.
No I've had a Catholic baptism holy communion confirmation and everything so one could say I'm fully Catholic.
And yeah I guess I'll have to make up my mind with time

Ah good stuff! :biggrin: But like I said don't be in a rush to pick. Take as much time as you need and don't let anyone or anything pressurise you. You are very welcome here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending