The Student Room Group

I've got rejected from most Sixth Forms

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by s.afiyyah
So do you have any advice on what I should do? I applied to an average school around my area but I don't want to go to far unless the education is worth the travel. So I'm really confused on what to do

Also when i went to the Woodhouse interview they said they can not interview everyone even if they do reach the minimum average because they are oversubscribed. I suggest for woodhouse u go there on results day and re apply. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by will_jg
Make sure you get a place somewhere, even if it's not as good as you hoped it's better than nothing. You mentioned Mill Hill so I'm guessing independent schools are an option? There are plenty around London and you may find a lot of them are easier to get into then many state schools.

Thank you so much for your help! :smile: I feel a little bit better now. Haha.
Thank you so much for your help! :smile: I feel a little bit better now. Haha.

You're welcome. Good luck!
Reply 23
Original post by davinaxo
Also when i went to the Woodhouse interview they said they can not interview everyone even if they do reach the minimum average because they are oversubscribed. I suggest for woodhouse u go there on results day and re apply. Hope this helped :smile:

Okay! I'll try thank you :smile:
Reply 24
I've applied to 6 schools and 4 rejected me. My predicted grades are 2 A*'s 6 A's 2 B's and a C

Did you apply late or do something bad at school? those are the only reasons i can think of why they rejected you.. anyway when you get your gcse results you can phone up the school you want to go and they will let you in i'm sure. so don't worry about it and focus on your revision to get the best possible grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
This can't be real, Sixth Form is not this serious guys.

You just give them your name and your in, I don't understand how you can get rejected?

I doubt they even look at your grades, that can't even be a factor it must be something else man...
Reply 26
Original post by Lemon Haze

You just give them your name and your in, I don't understand how you can get rejected?

I doubt they even look at your grades, that can't even be a factor it must be something else man...

I don't know what else it could be! I'm a polite student, my attendance is above 90% and my punctuality is very good. I just don't understand. They accept those with like majority A*'s they don't even care if they're late all the time or not
Reply 27
Original post by kyoti
Did you apply late or do something bad at school? those are the only reasons i can think of why they rejected you.. anyway when you get your gcse results you can phone up the school you want to go and they will let you in i'm sure. so don't worry about it and focus on your revision to get the best possible grades.

No, as far as I'm concerned I've never been suspended, my attendance is above 90%. I am a polite student, I do respect my teachers.
Reply 28
I got rejected from a few grammar schools for sixth form. The best thing to do is work hard, exceed predictions and apply on results day! I did this and I got in eventually, but I chose to stay at my schools sixth form in the end anyway. Hope you get in!
Hmm. That is a bit odd, those are better grades than I got, and I got into arguably one of the best sixth forms in the city (Sheffield).
Reply 30
Original post by hasii
I got rejected from a few grammar schools for sixth form. The best thing to do is work hard, exceed predictions and apply on results day! I did this and I got in eventually, but I chose to stay at my schools sixth form in the end anyway. Hope you get in!

I guess I've got to work my arse off then
I don't know what else it could be! I'm a polite student, my attendance is above 90% and my punctuality is very good. I just don't understand. They accept those with like majority A*'s they don't even care if they're late all the time or not

I would say you need to give the places you applied for a call and demand a explanation. Don't be rude but sound entitled and make sure they can hear the confidence in your voice over wise they will won't care because to them your just another of the thousands of students/parents they talk to everyday.

Schools make it sounds as if punctuality and attendance is super important, when in fact it's not really even looked at as a problem unless it's like 50%. What is super important though is that students punctuality and attendance is a factor in the amount of money the school receives...meaning it's only a benefit for them.
I've applied to 6 schools and 4 rejected me. My predicted grades are 2 A*'s 6 A's 2 B's and a C

I haven't got replies from any sixth forms/college and got rejected AT the interview :biggrin:

Not alone x
I think because you applied to Grammar Sixth Forms it was meant to be competitive and also because your grades are far more "average" then what they produce or expect (I'm basing this on grammar schools near me) so therefore your up against far more people.

They usually also focus on your predicted grades for your chosen subjects. For example, if you chose Maths and were predicted a B and you were not doing History you but were predicted an A they would have to take that into account.

I'm just curious at whether or not they outright rejected you because I assumed they often gave people a final "chance" on results day.

And no, you really shouldn't be all that worried.
Reply 34
I would say you need to give the places you applied for a call and demand a explanation. Don't be rude but sound entitled and make sure they can hear the confidence in your voice over wise they will won't care because to them your just another of the thousands of students/parents they talk to everyday.

Schools make it sounds as if punctuality and attendance is super important, when in fact it's not really even looked at as a problem unless it's like 50%. What is super important though is that students punctuality and attendance is a factor in the amount of money the school receives...meaning it's only a benefit for them.

So do you think I should appeal, I was thinking of writing an email to some of the sixth forms.
Reply 35
Original post by futurism_
I think because you applied to Grammar Sixth Forms it was meant to be competitive and also because your grades are far more "average" then what they produce or expect (I'm basing this on grammar schools near me) so therefore your up against far more people.

They usually also focus on your predicted grades for your chosen subjects. For example, if you chose Maths and were predicted a B and you were not doing History you but were predicted an A they would have to take that into account.

I'm just curious at whether or not they outright rejected you because I assumed they often gave people a final "chance" on results day.

And no, you really shouldn't be all that worried.

I've applied for Art, Maths, Physics and English Literature. In all subjects I'm predicted an A
So do you think I should appeal, I was thinking of writing an email to some of the sixth forms.

100% Call, Email and call again...
Reply 37

OP applied to grammar schools that's why. But yeah, it's really rare to hear someone getting rejected from a sixth form (unless they hold a criminal record, or have certain personality that is deemed to be dangerous to others).

Btw how did you get told you were rejected?
I've applied for Art, Maths, Physics and English Literature. In all subjects I'm predicted an A

I think you should work your ass off and call on results day :-)

Quick Reply

Latest