The Student Room Group

help????

Hi

I applied to Staffordshire, De Montfort, Birmingham City university, Wolverhampton and Coventry to study child nursing. I was rejected by Coventry, De Montfort and Staffordshire and have an offer from both Birmingham City university and Wolverhampton to do psychology. My predicted grades are BBC but I don't know what to do.

Should I accept both my offers from Birmingham City and Wolverhampton university and go through adjustment and/or clearing later on in the year in hope to get a place on a nursing course . Or should I apply through extra to do a health and social care foundation course (which would take me a year) and hope I get accepted onto it and reject both my offers from BCU and Coventry. Then apply for a nursing or midwifery course after I have completed my foundation course, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?

I currently study A Level biology, psychology and business.
Hi,

As a 3rd year child branch student nurse, I would advise that you go for the foundation course for Health and Social care and then re-apply to children's nursing next year. The foundation course will give you a good grounding, and show universities that you really have thought about what you want to do - they quite like it when students have a little more life experience.

Plus also, spaces for nursing (especially child) in clearing can be very limited due to the competitive nature of the course.

Really hope that helps. Any more questions feel free to ask. Best of luck

Joel
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi,

As a 3rd year child branch student nurse, I would advise that you go for the foundation course for Health and Social care and then re-apply to children's nursing next year. The foundation course will give you a good grounding, and show universities that you really have thought about what you want to do - they quite like it when students have a little more life experience.

Plus also, spaces for nursing (especially child) in clearing can be very limited due to the competitive nature of the course.

Really hope that helps. Any more questions feel free to ask. Best of luck

Joel

Thank you so much!! I think I might apply for the foundation course, I just hope I get accepted onto the course now😦.

I hope you don't mind me asking, you don't have to answer, but how did you get onto a nursing course? Did you do a levels, btec or a foundation degree? Also do you enjoy being a nurse, did you always plan to venture down that career path?

Thanks again
Original post by FailingStudent3
Thank you so much!! I think I might apply for the foundation course, I just hope I get accepted onto the course now������.

I hope you don't mind me asking, you don't have to answer, but how did you get onto a nursing course? Did you do a levels, btec or a foundation degree? Also do you enjoy being a nurse, did you always plan to venture down that career path?

Thanks again

That's ok!
Don't mind you asking at all :smile:
I started college doing AS Levels in ICT, Psychology, Biology & Chemistry, however for a variety of reasons beyond my control, which I won't bore you with, Biology and Chemistry didn't work out... So for my second year I changed and did a BTEC Advanced Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Science. It was a two year course, but I had the option to do it in a year, so I did. I carried on with my ICT and Psychology A Levels alongside that. I got a Distinction for the BTEC and C's for ICT & Psychology.

I absolutely love being a student nurse, and can't wait to qualify later this year! It's a real privelege to be able to look after sick children, and their families, and I take pride in giving them the best I can :smile:

I did children's & youth work type stuff when I was younger, so I knew working with them was something I was interested in. I also knew that I really wanted to do something in healthcare, but decided the best way to combine these was to be a children's nurse!

I have a Q&A thread in the Nursing and Midwifery forum, where you can find lots more answers to common questions and advice I've given. You'll find that here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3016865

Of course if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask or DM me anytime :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
That's ok!
Don't mind you asking at all :smile:
I started college doing AS Levels in ICT, Psychology, Biology & Chemistry, however for a variety of reasons beyond my control, which I won't bore you with, Biology and Chemistry didn't work out... So for my second year I changed and did a BTEC Advanced Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Science. It was a two year course, but I had the option to do it in a year, so I did. I carried on with my ICT and Psychology A Levels alongside that. I got a Distinction for the BTEC and C's for ICT & Psychology.

I absolutely love being a student nurse, and can't wait to qualify later this year! It's a real privelege to be able to look after sick children, and their families, and I take pride in giving them the best I can :smile:

I did children's & youth work type stuff when I was younger, so I knew working with them was something I was interested in. I also knew that I really wanted to do something in healthcare, but decided the best way to combine these was to be a children's nurse!

I have a Q&A thread in the Nursing and Midwifery forum, where you can find lots more answers to common questions and advice I've given. You'll find that here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3016865

Of course if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask or DM me anytime :smile:

Thank you so much, I currently do psychology and struggle to remember the names of studies and just everything I'm general. Do you have any tips?
Original post by FailingStudent3
Thank you so much, I currently do psychology and struggle to remember the names of studies and just everything I'm general. Do you have any tips?

I think it greatly depends what your primary learning style is... You could use flashcards or post its you could write a rhyme or lyrics, record yourself reading key points aloud and listen to them, you could draw a storyboard for each study you need to know... Just some ideas but I would encourage getting creative with it :smile:

For me repetition is a key way I learn so I just wrote things out over and over again!

And of course, don't panic. You know far more than you think you do :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending