The Student Room Group

Flatmate getting angry/threatening about deposit

Hello,

Unfortunately one of our flatmates moved out in november so we have had a new student from a local college move in to the spare room as we couldnt afford to keep up the rent between 4 of us. We will call new flatmate A

Our deposit is held in the safe deposit scheme scotland programme and is in the name of my flatmate (B). None of us particularly get on with A as he is messy, rude, pays bills very late and is in and out of the flat at unsociable hours. However we have been tolerant of his behaviour. Now the tenancy is almost over the deposit is coming out of the safe scheme into Bs bank account .

A is convinced B will steal his deposit and not pay it. The landlords are adamant there is nothing to do to change the scheme so we are paid seperatly and he was also told this on moving in (there were concerns that old flatmates name was on the deposit but this is not the case)

I have tried to explain to him today that nothing can be done and that he needs to ring the landlords to sort it out in his own head and this lead to him being very threatening towards myself

Are the landlords having us on or can it infact not be altered?
'13. Making changes to information held by SafeDeposits13.1 Under Regulation 43, landlords and agents are required to provide revisedinformation to SafeDeposits when information which has been previously beensupplied, becomes inaccurate. In some cases this can be done online but in othercases the landlord or agent will be required to contact SafeDeposits in writing tomake changes.13.2 SafeDeposits will allow tenants to make a limited number of amendments to theirpersonal contact details. Notwithstanding the Landlord’s responsibility to keepSafeDeposits advised of any changes in a tenancy, it is for any tenant including theLead Tenant to ensure that SafeDeposits have up-to-date contact and personaldetails for all Joint Tenants.'

Source: https://www.safedepositsscotland.com/resources/files/Scheme%20Rules.pdf
Original post by deserts0ng_
Hello,

Unfortunately one of our flatmates moved out in november so we have had a new student from a local college move in to the spare room as we couldnt afford to keep up the rent between 4 of us. We will call new flatmate A

Our deposit is held in the safe deposit scheme scotland programme and is in the name of my flatmate (B). None of us particularly get on with A as he is messy, rude, pays bills very late and is in and out of the flat at unsociable hours. However we have been tolerant of his behaviour. Now the tenancy is almost over the deposit is coming out of the safe scheme into Bs bank account .

A is convinced B will steal his deposit and not pay it. The landlords are adamant there is nothing to do to change the scheme so we are paid seperatly and he was also told this on moving in (there were concerns that old flatmates name was on the deposit but this is not the case)

I have tried to explain to him today that nothing can be done and that he needs to ring the landlords to sort it out in his own head and this lead to him being very threatening towards myself

It would seem that Landy cannae be aersed.
Reply 3
Original post by Daniel Crockett
'13. Making changes to information held by SafeDeposits13.1 Under Regulation 43, landlords and agents are required to provide revisedinformation to SafeDeposits when information which has been previously beensupplied, becomes inaccurate. In some cases this can be done online but in othercases the landlord or agent will be required to contact SafeDeposits in writing tomake changes.13.2 SafeDeposits will allow tenants to make a limited number of amendments to theirpersonal contact details. Notwithstanding the Landlord’s responsibility to keepSafeDeposits advised of any changes in a tenancy, it is for any tenant including theLead Tenant to ensure that SafeDeposits have up-to-date contact and personaldetails for all Joint Tenants.'

Source: https://www.safedepositsscotland.com/resources/files/Scheme%20Rules.pdf

Unfortunately it is upto date- as far as sds are concerned there are no joint tenants as the landlords set up the account for 1. I will call them and see if that can do anything
Reply 4
Original post by Daniel Crockett
It would seem that Landy cannae be aersed.

Nothing new there, they have left us without a boiler for 6 months already in this tenancy
I would speak to them, it seems that it is in the hands of the landlord to set it up properly with the appropriate rights allocated to each financial stakeholder.
Reply 6
Original post by deserts0ng_
Hello,

Shame on you for letting a college boy mess with you smh. You need to show him whos the alpha male in the house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't understand the big deal, or the OP really. I assume the new flatmate didn't have to pay a deposit as the old flatmate already did that? So the old flatmate is just going to get his money back - what's wrong with that? That's how it should be. The new flatmate has no right to the deposit; it's not his money and there's nothing to steal.
Reply 8
Im not sure about Scottish law but in English law this is correct and normal.

If it's a joint tenancy agreement then only a single deposit is required and only a single deposit is returned. How the tenants amongst themselves contribute and divide that amount is up to them. B has a responsibility to pay back A's share when the deposit is returned. If B does not then A can sue them.

There's no point in getting worked up about what might happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending