The Student Room Group

Boring outside of London?

Is it boring studying at a university outside of London? I know some can be much better in terms of reputation but are there many shopping centres, concerts etc in other cities compared to London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The world doesn't revolve around London. Many (myself included) would consider studying outside of our overpopulated, polluted and heinously expensive capital a much more enjoyable experience.

Go explore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ghughes92
The world doesn't revolve around London. Many (myself included) would consider studying outside of our overpopulated, polluted and heinously expensive capital a much more enjoyable experience.

Go explore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that but I've applied to university in a pretty boring area according to others and having lived in London my whole life and I just wondered how difficult it was adjusting to a quieter environment although I suppose this is down to the individual. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I know that but I've applied to university in a pretty boring area according to others and having lived in London my whole life and I just wondered how difficult it was adjusting to a quieter environment although I suppose this is down to the individual. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Northern Unis (from what I've heard) are generally really fun and sociable, stay away from the South-East cos they're just boring with really weird people. No idea about the South West but Midlands are usually pretty fun too!

Where did you apply?
Reply 5
I applied to Kent which is in the South east haha :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I applied to Kent which is in the South east haha :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well aren't you lucky. I'm a Kent (Canterbury Campus) dropout. Canterbury = boring, like a ghost town. Medway = even more boring, not that many freshers events (as they're all in Canterbury) but there is a free shuttle bus between campuses. They're not the greatest of campuses but they're not THAT bad.
Reply 7
Original post by scrunkie
Well aren't you lucky. I'm a Kent (Canterbury Campus) dropout. Canterbury = boring, like a ghost town. Medway = even more boring, not that many freshers events (as they're all in Canterbury) but there is a free shuttle bus between campuses. They're not the greatest of campuses but they're not THAT bad.

Not good to hear that people are dropping out of the uni I am planning to go to :/ what course did you drop out of and when? I'm not into the whole night club/getting drunk stuff anyway so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I get what you're saying. if you want the London lifestyle but somewhere else, go to a uni like Birmingham, Manchester, etc.
Original post by r-t
Not good to hear that people are dropping out of the uni I am planning to go to :/ what course did you drop out of and when? I'm not into the whole night club/getting drunk stuff anyway so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you don't want that stuff then it should be fine. Are you gonna be at Medway or Canterbury? I dropped out of Law a few weeks ago.

Don't worry too much about it, everyone has different experiences and everyone likes different things. I know people who love that Uni, and wouldn't change it for anything but it just wasn't for me. There are people who drop out of EVERY university. Just make sure you've researched it a lot and think the lifestyle and course etc are for you. (That was my mistake!)
Reply 10
Well if you don't want that stuff then it should be fine. Are you gonna be at Medway or Canterbury? I dropped out of Law a few weeks ago.

Don't worry too much about it, everyone has different experiences and everyone likes different things. I know people who love that Uni, and wouldn't change it for anything but it just wasn't for me. There are people who drop out of EVERY university. Just make sure you've researched it a lot and think the lifestyle and course etc are for you. (That was my mistake!)

I will be at the Medway campus. I suppose there are people who drop out everywhere. I didn't do that much research about it which looking back I should have. But I mainly applied there due to the good position on the league tables and the fact that it is an hour train from London which is good for coming home. I did go to the applicant day yesterday and I really liked the accomodation but I noticed that around it was abit bland. I am looking to apply for other universities come results day either through adjustment or clearing depending on which way my results go but I think I wouldn't mind going Kent either. Have you applied to study law again this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I will be at the Medway campus. I suppose there are people who drop out everywhere. I didn't do that much research about it which looking back I should have. But I mainly applied there due to the good position on the league tables and the fact that it is an hour train from London which is good for coming home. I did go to the applicant day yesterday and I really liked the accomodation but I noticed that around it was abit bland. I am looking to apply for other universities come results day either through adjustment or clearing depending on which way my results go but I think I wouldn't mind going Kent either. Have you applied to study law again this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely think students need to be more informed about how to research universities, I did the same thing and ultimately it didn't end well for me ( not saying that it won't for you, I'm sure you'll be fine) but looking at league tables and going by that is probably the biggest mistake I made (in my opinion).
I also think you need to be 100% sure about where you want to go and what you want to do. I hope you plan on going home every weekend cos the majority of the people I know all did and I got stuck there alone the whole weekend, which was ... boring to say the least!
Definitely be 100% and if you don't want to go there come results day, you can always change, but there's still time! The university you're at affects your course and your marks so you want to be sure that where you're going will be right for you and have a positive impact on your success.

I don't want to scare you and I'm sure you'll be fine, but these are the things I didn't know when I went through it all, so I think others need to know, just in case!

I'm applying for a different subject instead, I don't know if it was the course I didn't like or the University, but Kent really put me off Law so either way it's kind of ****ed up for me! Which is why I say it's so important about the environment you're in and whether you enjoy it or not!

Have you spoken to students who are at Medway? I think that'll be a good thing to do to get a better idea of the life there, try speak to a wide range so you get an overall idea.
Reply 12
I definitely think students need to be more informed about how to research universities, I did the same thing and ultimately it didn't end well for me ( not saying that it won't for you, I'm sure you'll be fine) but looking at league tables and going by that is probably the biggest mistake I made (in my opinion).
I also think you need to be 100% sure about where you want to go and what you want to do. I hope you plan on going home every weekend cos the majority of the people I know all did and I got stuck there alone the whole weekend, which was ... boring to say the least!
Definitely be 100% and if you don't want to go there come results day, you can always change, but there's still time! The university you're at affects your course and your marks so you want to be sure that where you're going will be right for you and have a positive impact on your success.

I don't want to scare you and I'm sure you'll be fine, but these are the things I didn't know when I went through it all, so I think others need to know, just in case!

I'm applying for a different subject instead, I don't know if it was the course I didn't like or the University, but Kent really put me off Law so either way it's kind of ****ed up for me! Which is why I say it's so important about the environment you're in and whether you enjoy it or not!

Have you spoken to students who are at Medway? I think that'll be a good thing to do to get a better idea of the life there, try speak to a wide range so you get an overall idea.

Yeh the place is important aswell. I did originally apply for universities in London but they weren't too good which is why I applied for Kent because I am planning to come home on the weekends by train because I don't want to be bored there by myself. I've already firmed kent so I'll have to wait till results day if I want to change it. I think I do like the course and it has a compulsory year in placement aswell which is good for my cv. Students at the applicant day from Medway did talk about how they liked the uni but it was abit biased obviously because they were getting paid to say those things. What course did you apply for? It's difficult finding students from Medway because everyone's based in Canterbury which is abit more lively apparently. Thanks for telling me all this. Although it has put me off abit I think it's important that I know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ngl I find it quite boring here, obvs the university does organise things and depends on how involved you are in societies and whatever but still it's nowhere near comparable to uni life in london
Reply 14
Original post by tahtahspo
Ngl I find it quite boring here, obvs the university does organise things and depends on how involved you are in societies and whatever but still it's nowhere near comparable to uni life in london

Is the actual university good though in terms of teaching and reputation? I suppose that's the main thing it comes down to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh the place is important aswell. I did originally apply for universities in London but they weren't too good which is why I applied for Kent because I am planning to come home on the weekends by train because I don't want to be bored there by myself. I've already firmed kent so I'll have to wait till results day if I want to change it. I think I do like the course and it has a compulsory year in placement aswell which is good for my cv. Students at the applicant day from Medway did talk about how they liked the uni but it was abit biased obviously because they were getting paid to say those things. What course did you apply for? It's difficult finding students from Medway because everyone's based in Canterbury which is abit more lively apparently. Thanks for telling me all this. Although it has put me off abit I think it's important that I know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Canterbury is a bit more lively, and there's always the free shuttle bus (I think about 45 mins to Canterbury campus) if you want to attend any of the events going on there, but tbh Canterbury is still boring haha.

I didn't want to put you off at all, you'll have a great time wherever you are as long as you make the effort.

I'm now going to do Sociology at Brunel, I'm not too keen on the partying scene either (although I do eventually like it when I get there) so I thought Brunel might be a good mix of quiet and going out (i.e. trips into central). One of the reasons I chose London was to be closer to home, although the trains ran every hour into St Pancras from Canterbury, it was still really far and expensive to get home. And I wanted to come back every weekend too because I found Uni really ****, so hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

I reckon it's a bit of effort and a bit of luck that will make it all good for you :smile:
Studied at Warwick, good blend of country and city (Coventry being the nearest place). It's fine, a damn sight cheaper I'd say as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Canterbury is a bit more lively, and there's always the free shuttle bus (I think about 45 mins to Canterbury campus) if you want to attend any of the events going on there, but tbh Canterbury is still boring haha.

I didn't want to put you off at all, you'll have a great time wherever you are as long as you make the effort.

I'm now going to do Sociology at Brunel, I'm not too keen on the partying scene either (although I do eventually like it when I get there) so I thought Brunel might be a good mix of quiet and going out (i.e. trips into central). One of the reasons I chose London was to be closer to home, although the trains ran every hour into St Pancras from Canterbury, it was still really far and expensive to get home. And I wanted to come back every weekend too because I found Uni really ****, so hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

I reckon it's a bit of effort and a bit of luck that will make it all good for you :smile:

Lol thanks and Good luck with Brunel. I went to the open day a while back for law as my friend is going to study law but not there. Seemed like a decent place :smile: hopefully I'll find something in adjustment. Medway is nearer to London than Canterbury so I suppose that's a bonus aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Liles93
Studied at Warwick, good blend of country and city (Coventry being the nearest place). It's fine, a damn sight cheaper I'd say as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I doubt I'd get a place at Warwick unless I got like 3 A's in my results this year haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending