The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Async
So what's a "proper" course then?

Lol im joking chill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by Lemon Haze
I do A-Levels and I think Btec's are harder.

It would be very hard to measure "hard". How can be measure which is harder? It's all subjective tbh.
Original post by Async
It would be very hard to measure "hard". How can be measure which is harder? It's all subjective tbh.

True, in terms of work load and grinding Btec's are harder.
I've done a Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT in 1 year in Year 11, and 4 A Levels (Double Maths, Computing & IT), and the 4 A Levels were a lot more work than the entire Diploma. The content of both was pretty similar, but I found I was working much harder in the A Levels.
Original post by Gott
Playing devil's advocate to me you troll, and how is my suspecting your probable ineptitude for history ignorance? You often don't attempt to justify your points. I wouldn't care a toss if you died in your apparent ignorance

Whatever. And i don't even know you.
Reply 225
Original post by Lemon Haze
True, in terms of work load and grinding Btec's are harder.

Yup, most definitely!
Original post by physicsmaths
I am trolling btw. If someone gets into Cambridge with BTEC well done to them they obviously deserve it! Seriously if someone gets into top unis with BTECs well done to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha fair enough :P
Original post by Gott
And thank God, you're objectionable enough on here

Whatever.
Original post by Thahleel
I've done a Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT in 1 year in Year 11, and 4 A Levels (Double Maths, Computing & IT), and the 4 A Levels were a lot more work than the entire Diploma. The content of both was pretty similar, but I found I was working much harder in the A Levels.

18 units in one year?? Or did you do the first year of the extended diploma?
Original post by yt7777
18 units in one year?? Or did you do the first year of the extended diploma?

18 units, 1 year.
9/10 threads on TSR are a bunch of idiots arguing with each other over who has the more difficult course or arguing over who goes to the more prestigious educational establishment. WHY DO YOU CARE? Just do your thing and worry less about what some other guy is doing. Jesus H Christ.
Original post by yt7777
All those universities accept BTECs for certain courses....

and theyre not ****,those are arguably the best unis in the country, BTEC will get you into 95% of uk universities, thats an actual statistic and does that mean that you think that people who dont go to one of those uni's are "****" even if they did A levels?

EDIT: Apart from imperial

They say they accept them but in reality the proportion of students there who did BTECs is for all intents and purposes zero.

To your second question: no, but as you have said they are the best UK universities.
Original post by capachino
i did business btec ,it was btec business or no business ,why do you look down on business all major profitable organisations are businesses most of the worlds richest people are business people or have business people woking behind them whether its starbucks or microsoft the latest music album or film

you think your better than that?

Yeah but most successful business people did not study business. Studying business is a complete waste of time. Sorry for your loss.

Original post by Emma:-)
Do you have a source for that fact?
Having done both a-levels and a diploma (the equivalent to a BTEC) myself i can speak for both.
Plenty of people who do BTEC's get uni offers. for example A girl on my course at college got an unconditional offer to do social work at uni.
And BTEC's arent all coursework. They do have some exams in.

The "Oxford University Computing" post essentially served as evidence for that claim.

Getting into uni is not an achievement in this day and age. I've seen courses that require a solitary E. Getting into a top 10 university is an achievement.

Original post by yt7777

Cambridge - Engineering Dept.

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/requirements.html

[h="4"]"All Colleges, except Trinity, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, e.g. a BTEC Higher National Diploma, in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principal Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics. The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering is a suitable alternative to A Level Mathematics for these purposes."[/h]

It may be possible according to the rules, but then according to the rules of physics (as far as we known them at this point) so is time travel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thahleel
18 units, 1 year.

18 girls, 1 cup.

:eek:
Original post by Astronomical
18 girls, 1 cup.

:eek:

It's not really that big of an achievement, I mean some of the units were taking 1 week to complete, while I think 1 took a whole month.
Original post by Patrick2810
Maybe because the majority of students doing them are the less-able students?

That is a really really uneducated view! I am doing a BTEC not because I am less able but because I have extreme exam anxiety! When doing A levels I got A's in all my coursework but because my courses were exam based I didn't do well. Now on a BTEC course I am getting Distinction's first time for all my assignments. Is that really what a less-able student would get? I have seen how it can open up so many opportunities for people. If universities accept BTECS as well as A levels then there shouldn't be a contest. And you know what? I have learnt things on my BTEC course that I didn't on my A level course. Things which are going to make my transition to uni so much easier!! .... BTEC ALL THE WAY
Whether a BTEC is easy is almost entirely dependant on the quality that is demanded of pupils taking it. If a 6th form/college insists on a high quality of work being required for Pass/Merit/Distinction it is worthwhile.

As for it being equivalent to A-Level, in the subsidiary diploma I took, the assessment objectives required were the same as for the band descriptors in A-Level, with work containing high quality analysis and evaluation being worth the highest grade.

A BTEC is not particularly something to be looked down upon, it's also probably not as difficult to get the top grades in as an A-Level. I certainly found getting an A much harder than the BTEC, but the only difference for me, speaking only with knowledge of my own subject content wise, was the way the two qualifications are assessed. A pressurised exam is far harder to succeed in than a pure coursework qualification, otherwise in terms of content, as an educational qualification, I benefitted equally from my BTEC and A-Levels.
Original post by lucy.stephens2
That is a really really uneducated view! I am doing a BTEC not because I am less able but because I have extreme exam anxiety! When doing A levels I got A's in all my coursework but because my courses were exam based I didn't do well. Now on a BTEC course I am getting Distinction's first time for all my assignments. Is that really what a less-able student would get? I have seen how it can open up so many opportunities for people. If universities accept BTECS as well as A levels then there shouldn't be a contest. And you know what? I have learnt things on my BTEC course that I didn't on my A level course. Things which are going to make my transition to uni so much easier!! .... BTEC ALL THE WAY

Well btecs and a lvels are for dumber people like you guys. The real knowledge is in farming. Farming links to everything, aliens, milk,sheep,soil,grass and even pythagarasassasa theorem(maths init). Bet you didnt know any of that, stupid a levels and btecs. Farming is for the cleverer people then you clever people. Bang, us man is out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nameofuser
Whether a BTEC is easy is almost entirely dependant on the quality that is demanded of pupils taking it. If a 6th form/college insists on a high quality of work being required for Pass/Merit/Distinction it is worthwhile.

As for it being equivalent to A-Level, in the subsidiary diploma I took, the assessment objectives required were the same as for the band descriptors in A-Level, with work containing high quality analysis and evaluation being worth the highest grade.

A BTEC is not particularly something to be looked down upon, it's also probably not as difficult to get the top grades in as an A-Level. I certainly found getting an A much harder than the BTEC, but the only difference for me, speaking only with knowledge of my own subject content wise, was the way the two qualifications are assessed. A pressurised exam is far harder to succeed in than a pure coursework qualification, otherwise in terms of content, as an educational qualification, I benefitted equally from my BTEC and A-Levels.

Farming all the way. 👽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 239
Original post by tanya21
We don't get spoon fed either, that's why we get set so little work. We have to decide for ourselves what needs doing, so when i say i've got so much work, it's work I've set myself. (Please note i regard BTECs highly just saying :smile:)

I'm not saying you do...some student's appreciate BTEC's highly some are just well I 'll keep that to myself lol. It just angers me that BTEC gets looked down on a lot just because it doesn't require "exams" well next year this/next they'll be introducing exams for BTEC so the a-levels students shouldn't complain anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending