The Student Room Group

Will I get in??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Okay, great. I know you've said the benefits of lacs but what are the benefits to normal colleges?
Reply 61
Okay, I didn't realise that you could choose the time of the classes that you choose, how does that work? Does it mean that you can have all of your classes done by midday?
Reply 62
Original post by jakepds
Okay, I didn't realise that you could choose the time of the classes that you choose, how does that work? Does it mean that you can have all of your classes done by midday?

Sure -- if the classes you want to take are offered in the morning!

In most American colleges, you're going to be taking four or five classes per semester for at least the first two years. Each will likely have a lecture component and a smaller group meeting ("section" or "seminar") and some (languages, labs) might meet frequently, or be fairly long. It is unlikely you could be done by noon on most days. Is that important to you?
Reply 63
Original post by Tajel
Sure -- if the classes you want to take are offered in the morning!

In most American colleges, you're going to be taking four or five classes per semester for at least the first two years. Each will likely have a lecture component and a smaller group meeting ("section" or "seminar") and some (languages, labs) might meet frequently, or be fairly long. It is unlikely you could be done by noon on most days. Is that important to you?

I am still confused. Why, if I was going to major in something like Economics or Business, then why would I need to go to a lab? Or was that just an example?
I was just curious and used the morning thing as an example, but that would be amazing.
Why would I need to take 4 or 5 classes if I am only majoring in one thing and minoring (if thats even a word) in another one or two?
Original post by jakepds
I am still confused. Why, if I was going to major in something like Economics or Business, then why would I need to go to a lab? Or was that just an example?
I was just curious and used the morning thing as an example, but that would be amazing.
Why would I need to take 4 or 5 classes if I am only majoring in one thing and minoring (if thats even a word) in another one or two?

General education requirements.

You'll need to fulfill these along with classes for your intended major(s)/minor(s).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Princepieman
General education requirements.

You'll need to fulfill these along with classes for your intended major(s)/minor(s).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of things will this include, will I have to do the classes in the things that I have done to a higher level (A Level)?
Original post by jakepds
What kind of things will this include, will I have to do the classes in the things that I have done to a higher level (A Level)?

Yup, pretty much. Each uni has their own gen ed requirements but generally they will be a mix of maths, science, English and some elective (free choice) courses.

A prime example is Columbia's Core Curriculum - check that out.
Reply 67
When you say language, what exactly do you mean? Like Spanish or English, because I truly HATE Spanish at the moment!!
Reply 68
Okay, so now I understand the languages section, what do the other courses entail?
Reply 69
Okay, I haven't yet read the link that you posted. What I was worried abut was that I would end up attending a whole load of courses that I wouldn't enjoy, like American History or something. I imagine that there is enough flexibility of me not to have to do subjects that I really don't want to, right?
Reply 70
Thats the only thing that I am not so keen on. I'm sure that I can put up with a few semesters of doing a course on the Caribbean or something. Does it matter what you choose? and does it have to relate to you major?
Reply 71
Some Of the courses sound incredible. I would love for example to have a great understanding of the brain or the body. Do you have any knowledge of the beginners guidE courses, how hard are they?
Reply 72
Ah...well done. You just reminded me of a question I was going to ask: What is the grading system for US universities?
I have heard that if you go to MIT then the degree isn't graded, what is this about and is it true?
Original post by jakepds
Ah...well done. You just reminded me of a question I was going to ask: What is the grading system for US universities?
I have heard that if you go to MIT then the degree isn't graded, what is this about and is it true?

Generally, US grade boundaries are a lot higher than what you'll find here:

90-100 (-A to A)
80-89 (B- to B+)
70-79 (C- to C+)
60-69 (D- to D+)

This all heavily depends on the university though, as they all differ greatly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 74
So rather than getting a first or a 2:1, you get a grade like ABC.... At the end of your degree?
Original post by jakepds
So rather than getting a first or a 2:1, you get a grade like ABC.... At the end of your degree?

No, they are averaged into a GPA.

Roughly A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = 2.0
D = 1.0

There are A-'s and B+'s too. It all gets averaged into a score out of 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakepds
Hi Guys, I am currently studying for my GCSEs and my predicted grades are:
Maths: A*
Biology:A*
Chemistry:A*
Physics:A*
English Lit:A
English Language:A
Electronics:A*
Geography:A*
Spanish:A
P.E.:A*
I REALLY want to study at Harvard/Princeton/MIT/UChicago etc.etc. and I was wondering what else I would have to do on top of these grades at GCSEs.
For A Level I am doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography and am hoping for top grades in these too.
I am going to volunteer at least 2 hours a week all of sixth form, what else can I do and do I have a realistic chance of making it into one of these unis for economics.
Thanks guys

Just do well in the ACT/SAT. I was rejected from HYP, even though my qualification results are in the top 1% in Scotland, because I was stupid and didn't study for the admissions tests. I was told that everything else in my application was excellent, so it does hurt a bit that I let myself down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
How much work is required for the SAT reasoning tests and also for the subject tests?
When did you take the tests so the fitted in well with your studies for A Levels?
Original post by jakepds
How much work is required for the SAT reasoning tests and also for the subject tests?
When did you take the tests so the fitted in well with your studies for A Levels?

SAT I is as much as you want to do. I gave myself three weeks of prep, which in hindsight was not enough.

The subject tests depend on the subject. Can't speak for the others but if you're doing a language, read lots of it (outside of your own curriculum as well because GCSE/AS tend to use a relatively narrow range of vocabulary) and if you're doing SAT II literature then it's just about continuing to be comfortable with the unusual vocabulary/syntax a lot of these old texts often use. Those two tests are purely reading comprehension but in a really distorted sort of way that's not really like anything done at GCSE/A Level.
Reply 79
Original post by vaudevillain
SAT I is as much as you want to do. I gave myself three weeks of prep, which in hindsight was not enough.

The subject tests depend on the subject. Can't speak for the others but if you're doing a language, read lots of it (outside of your own curriculum as well because GCSE/AS tend to use a relatively narrow range of vocabulary) and if you're doing SAT II literature then it's just about continuing to be comfortable with the unusual vocabulary/syntax a lot of these old texts often use. Those two tests are purely reading comprehension but in a really distorted sort of way that's not really like anything done at GCSE/A Level.

Okay, so maybe start prepping fro the SAT I at christmas of year 12, and take it in March or April?
For the SAT II I was thinking of doing Maths and Physics, simply because I am doing these at A Level. At what point should I take these, start of year 13, or later/earlier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending